PCI Soundcard vs M2Tech Hiface 2 for digital output?
Jan 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

daws0n

Head-Fier
[size=x-small]I've been using my PC for computer audio for years now in my hifi system... I am using the toslink output on an old Aurentech 5.1 soundcard connected to my external DAC. The soundcard is a cheap solution, but I chose it due the CMI 8738 chipset - a guy has written custom drivers which apparently enable bitperfect playback (I use foobar>kernel stream to achieve this, on XP).

https://code.google.com/p/cmediadrivers/

Sound quality is very good in and out my DAC (an old all discrete design, using a TDA1541A s1 chip). However, I've experimented with more modern designs (an Asus Essence One), and while I prefer the sound of my old multibit on the whole, the USB input on these newer DACs does sound better in some respects...

So, I am thinking... Rather than do away with my old DAC altogether, would "upgrading" the computer transport to an Asynchronous USB device improve things for the better?

I am thinking a Hiface 2.. would you guys say it is a worthwhile purchase over a basic PCI soundcard output? [/size]

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 3
Many prefer the sound of the M2tech over "lesser" digital outputs but it is up to you.
Make sure there is a return policy and if you buy it and is doesn't offer you what you want, return it and get your money back.

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 3
I have read the same Rob... I would be buying the hiface 2 blind/used (1/3 off rrp), so no return possible... I am thinking the musiland soundcard will offer comparable performance for less money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back