PCDP with good analog sound and digital out?
Jun 4, 2006 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

skullguise

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Somewhat newbie to the portable forum, sorry if this has been posted before. I did a brief search attempt, and couldn't really nail it down.

So the question: any recommendations on a decent PCDP? I will be likely downgrading my bedroom system due to minimal use. Looking for a good quality player, bells and whistles matter less than sound quality. Since it'll be in the bedroom plugged in, battery life is not an issue either.

Would also like it to have digital out, in case I decide to use my Zhaolu in the bedroom. Headphones will be Ety 4's (4P's either with or without S adapter).

If it at all matters, my music preferences for later night listening will be mainly acoustic/folk/jazz. If any player excels with these genres that'd be even better.

Thanks for any thoughts/recommendations.....

Todd - skullguise

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 8
I would recommend the iRiver IMP-550 when you want optical out. I'm extremely happy with my IMP-900.
But the iRiver PCDPs are hard to come by nowadays.

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 8
D335
D465
Panasonic SL-CT430

IMHO the panasonic sounds most colored of the 3. Warm and somewhat conjested with the line and phone out. Its on the "dull"side. Sometimes I like it if I want a relaxed sound thats not too aggressive.

The Sonys are my faves though. Warm and detailed, not harsh at all IMHO.

Ive never tried the optical output on any of these.

Garrett

Jun 9, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 8
Just wanted to check in on this thread. I'm in the market for a PCDP that will serve primarily as a convienant transport for my Overture or Grace m902. Would prefer newer/current production (though looks kinda slim though). I'm superficial, so looks, battery life, build, stuff like that matter to me a lot.
biggrin.gif

For me, looks like the D-NE920 or the 550 are the ones to get so far. I lean towards the D-NE920 since I'm such a Sony Wayne.

Any other recommendations or advice?

Best,

-Jasn

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 8
D-321 has an optical out. Its works pretty well as a transport.

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 8
D-NE10 or D-NE20.

Shaper Image has D-NE10 on clearance on e-bay. D-NE20 still go for above $150.

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

D335
D465
Panasonic SL-CT430

I second the D465 and D335!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back