PC (Music) Headphone Recommendation?
Mar 24, 2021 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hypermale

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for some recommendations for headphones to use while sitting at my PC listening to music (and maybe for use with my turntable, maybe). My budget is flexible, but something around the £250 mark would be good. I have an HRT Microstreamer USB DAC capable of driving lower impedance headphones so ideally I'd like something that didn't need a separate headphone amp, although I'm open to suggestions if this is possible at this price range or if I'd get a significant improvement (always fancied trying a headphone tube amp actually). My music is either ripped to FLAC from CD or from Spotify (hopefully lossless soon...). I don't mind open or closed back headphones.

As a benchmark, I'm currently using a HyperX Cloud II gaming headset since my AKG 550 ear cushions perished and the plastic went horrible and sticky :frowning2:.

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads (I bought both from Aliexpress).

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 4
They're just a little more than your budget, but I definitely think the Hifiman Sundara would be worth the extra money. You could even get them used at your budget.

They sound great right out of my Dell laptop, so any added juice you give them simply improves the sound.

Nothing I've tried in this price range sounds quite as good to me as the Sundaras.

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 4
^Agreed. In my mind the Sundara is kinda like the new Sennheiser HD600/650..not so much because of it’s tuning but rather because of the sound quality one gets for the money. It’s a genuine “giant killer” per my ears. I’ve a/b’ed it up against the Ananda, Arya, LCD-2, LCD-4 as well as the Abyss flagship and I honestly prefer the cheapskate Hifiman. Price does not pertain to sound quality.
In 10 years time I think most people will be looking at the Sundara in the same way they look at the classic Sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back