PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Nov 11, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #8,476 of 9,120
  No dude, you are just asking it to do way more than is needed. NEEDI3 at 256 neurons is freaking insane. You are asking it to produce four times the amount of colour information that is present in the source file. So yeah, nearly nothing is able to do that in real time and still hold a reasonable frame rate. 

I highly recommend you look into what you are playing with before you start bashing hardware and software. You are making yourself look like a moron by just bashing hardware or software that you don't seem to understand. Knowing the limitations of hardware and the effect that a certain set of algorithms or filters do is kind of important before one starts working on something.

So... 

I am using NEEDI at 16 neurons because I cannot get a better framerate with any other higher setting. 

A GTX980 desktop should pull this off easily, I think I over-estimated what a gtx860m is capable of. 

But watching anime and movies with NEEDI 16 looks amazing by itself. 

I asked Nvidia why I had some other problems, like my GPU not being used the right way without additional settings (most video rendering programs do not use GPU due to Nvidia, and why new drivers for windows 10 x64 are resulting choppy playback or BSODs, and it seems that there are known bugs with GTX860m and they should solve it in the future updates. 

I was far from wrong with my opinion, I still have a single problem unsolved. 

When the frame is panning vertically, and there are lots of horizontal lines which are black and white, there is some stuttering, even though there is no frame drop. This only happens in certain animes and movies, not in games at all. so there should be a solution somewhere.

Do not mis-understand please, the gaming performance is amazing, and much better than expected, but the video performance is poor when not tinkering with some settings, or at least, I expected better. I still have to figure out how to do some things. 

SVP still introduces artifacts, and with high settings, but high artifact masking it is not smoother than my playback was by default, and it does introduce more artifacts

This is an interesting hobby, and you should not take any insult coming from me, I have started learning a few months ago, I admit that I am a newcomer to video and this type of stuff. But it is very entertaining. 

EDIT::

I am really sorry if what I say does not make a lot of sense, I am still learning, I might overlook or mis-understand some things. Please give me useful advice if you have, because I really want to understand how to make my video playback better
redface.gif

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #8,477 of 9,120
My advice is to read up, and know the limitations of your hardware, and what happens hardware and software side when you change something or play a certain video. SVP, NNEDI3, and other filters or algorithms take a lot of GPU and CPU power to run, and often times are not even needed for proper video playback. They will often times enhance the experience, but it won't make it perfect, nor will it make it superior to a default setup. Aside from the glitches that are most likely from Windows 10 and nvidia hating each other at the launch (which has been a small problem, and should have been resolved ages ago.) I know for a fact, through testing my own hardware, and testing of the hardware of people I know, an i7-47xxHQ and 860M along with the HD4600 will have utterly zero issues playing 720p, 1080p, and certain 4k videos (depending on how it is encoded). The issues you are having may stem from a hardware issues with drivers or a partially faulty GPU, and are now just you adding things onto it making it worse.

Over estimating what an 860M can do versus a GTX980... is kind of a newbie thing to do. If you look up a benchmark from Futuremark, you might notice that a 980 is more than 3 times more powerful in a synthetic bench. Kind of a large difference that can't be overlooked?

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #8,478 of 9,120
  My advice is to read up, and know the limitations of your hardware, and what happens hardware and software side when you change something or play a certain video. SVP, NNEDI3, and other filters or algorithms take a lot of GPU and CPU power to run, and often times are not even needed for proper video playback. They will often times enhance the experience, but it won't make it perfect, nor will it make it superior to a default setup. Aside from the glitches that are most likely from Windows 10 and nvidia hating each other at the launch (which has been a small problem, and should have been resolved ages ago.) I know for a fact, through testing my own hardware, and testing of the hardware of people I know, an i7-47xxHQ and 860M along with the HD4600 will have utterly zero issues playing 720p, 1080p, and certain 4k videos (depending on how it is encoded). The issues you are having may stem from a hardware issues with drivers or a partially faulty GPU, and are now just you adding things onto it making it worse.

Over estimating what an 860M can do versus a GTX980... is kind of a newbie thing to do. If you look up a benchmark from Futuremark, you might notice that a 980 is more than 3 times more powerful in a synthetic bench. Kind of a large difference that can't be overlooked?

Okay. So my gtx860m is nowhere near the gtx980, which is good to know. now, I think that it should be more than enough for dota2 fullhd without antialiasing, and some other games, so, at least basic playback of fullhd anime should be fine. 

so starting from there, I am supposed to stop trying to add useless features, and try to make basic playback work
biggrin.gif

VLC does not work as it should, at least I think so. If you watched No game no life series, you should have seen that most characters have a red outline. Using VLC made those outlines jagged and aliased. 

Then I changed to SMplayer using it's stronger mplayer 2 fork option. It all was well, until the video driver started hating me and most fullhd videos got bad frame drops (even though they were processed by GPU), so this was a dead end.

Then I tried Potplayer+LAV+SVP. It worked, but I hated the artfacts. 

Also, both VLC and SMplayer would alias the video material when playing hd materials 1280X720 in fullhd. so upsizing the video was faulty somewhere (no ideea where).

Then I went to Potplayer + LAV + madVR. then I started tweaking the settings on madvr. all is well with everything maxed out, but only image doubling turned off and chroma upsampling needs to stay at max Jinc with anti ringing. But this broke, (not sure why?). The program started closing randomly, black screen and so on. 

So now I am using MPC-HC + it's internal LAV to DXVA copyback + madVR with past settings. It all works well, no frame drops, quality is questionably enough.

I tried VLC again but it simply crashes when trying to use DXVA acceleration. 

So.. 

My actual setup is pleasing enough, except for something odd. I was watching fate/stay night unlimited blade works and Railgun S series, and on both, when there is panning of a building that has lights on, all the lights kind of lag behind (in railgun it is visible in almost every episode). I get zero frame drops. 

I have been looking for a solution and because I could not fiind anything because things are smooth everywhere else, I contacted both Nvidia and Acer to see what they have to say in this. 

Now, I am really looking for advice if this is normal, or how to solve it 
redface.gif

sorry for a freaking long write, but I wanted to express how things evolved for me in this. In every single step between a software and the next I was searching google for what solutions people have for smoother playback or aliasing or up-scaling videos. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #8,480 of 9,120
I don't care enough to help you, not my freaking problem. As blunt as I can be there.

Then why did you get in the conversation in the first place?

I really need advanced advice on this matter, and using google search only has given me the actual aolution. I am really curios what am I supposed to do next, or how.

Sorry if I am a pain to deal with, but I am the kind of person interested in learning new things, and doing so the hard way will speed my learning curve.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #8,481 of 9,120
Kinda late to the party... But I finally did the windows 10 update from 7.  Pretty damn good so far.  Only gripe I have about it is ~5 second black screen when I alt tab with games that used to be instant.  

Parts of the UI look really nice (better than win7) but other things are just gimmicky looking.  LOTS of fun in the new calculator, it can do conversions and all sorts of cool schiit.  

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #8,484 of 9,120

You have backups?

I'm a bit paranoid about that; have a NAS, portable drives, and another backup 8 hours away.  Would take a crazy amount of bad luck to be knocked out!

no.

which is why the sad face and why i spent all of yersterday and so far all of today trying to recover data.

basicaly im a data hoarder backing it all up is financially untenable though its nothing of great importance thats crashed it does include the working copy of itunes and the in rotation music.

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #8,486 of 9,120
  Okay. So my gtx860m is nowhere near the gtx980, which is good to know. now, I think that it should be more than enough for dota2 fullhd without antialiasing, and some other games, so, at least basic playback of fullhd anime should be fine. 

so starting from there, I am supposed to stop trying to add useless features, and try to make basic playback work
biggrin.gif

VLC does not work as it should, at least I think so. If you watched No game no life series, you should have seen that most characters have a red outline. Using VLC made those outlines jagged and aliased. 

Then I changed to SMplayer using it's stronger mplayer 2 fork option. It all was well, until the video driver started hating me and most fullhd videos got bad frame drops (even though they were processed by GPU), so this was a dead end.

Then I tried Potplayer+LAV+SVP. It worked, but I hated the artfacts. 

Also, both VLC and SMplayer would alias the video material when playing hd materials 1280X720 in fullhd. so upsizing the video was faulty somewhere (no ideea where).

Then I went to Potplayer + LAV + madVR. then I started tweaking the settings on madvr. all is well with everything maxed out, but only image doubling turned off and chroma upsampling needs to stay at max Jinc with anti ringing. But this broke, (not sure why?). The program started closing randomly, black screen and so on. 

So now I am using MPC-HC + it's internal LAV to DXVA copyback + madVR with past settings. It all works well, no frame drops, quality is questionably enough.

I tried VLC again but it simply crashes when trying to use DXVA acceleration. 

So.. 

My actual setup is pleasing enough, except for something odd. I was watching fate/stay night unlimited blade works and Railgun S series, and on both, when there is panning of a building that has lights on, all the lights kind of lag behind (in railgun it is visible in almost every episode). I get zero frame drops. 

I have been looking for a solution and because I could not fiind anything because things are smooth everywhere else, I contacted both Nvidia and Acer to see what they have to say in this. 

Now, I am really looking for advice if this is normal, or how to solve it 
redface.gif

sorry for a freaking long write, but I wanted to express how things evolved for me in this. In every single step between a software and the next I was searching google for what solutions people have for smoother playback or aliasing or up-scaling videos. 

Have you tried this software before?
http://www.dmitrirender.ru/

I recommend CCCP (MPC-HC) and dmitriRender.  Using VLC in Windows does not make sense to me... 
Protip:  You will never get anywhere with SVP!

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #8,487 of 9,120

Have you tried this software before?
http://www.dmitrirender.ru/

I recommend CCCP (MPC-HC) and dmitriRender.  Using VLC in Windows does not make sense to me... 
Protip:  You will never get anywhere with SVP!

Hello!

Thanks for the advice! It looks interesting, sad that it is not totally free. I downloaded it and will study it. 

It seems that most of my complaining about why the screen had micro stutters, might, in fact have been the limitation of the anime actually being recorded at 24fps. 

I am trying to do just one thing at this exact moment
biggrin.gif

I ma trying to beat Optimus out of my system. I have to use Nvidia Inspector to set MPC-HC to use Nvidia GPU, and it is a pain, because it resets this particular setting randomly, without ever asking me, so I am pissed at this particular setting, and I am looking on my options to change this. I sent some complaint messages to Nvidia, very bad customer care services, they did not even care. 

So,... 

I am trying to figure out how to change registry entries to make the drivers recognize MPC-HC as an allowed software for GPU by default. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #8,488 of 9,120
dmitriRender works for me on my Intel ultrabook.  Maybe you do not even need to worry about optimus :wink:
The stuttering is SVP itself.  Could be a boundary case caused by your source video, which SVP should address.  Could be inefficient code, which SVP should address.  So many possibilities that waste too much time to diagnose.

My last optimus enabled laptop had a BIOS option to disable the switching. 
Additionally you might be able to tweak the application specific settings in Nvidia control panel.  Moving the sliders and toggling settings that include "maximum performance" would hopefully kick in the discrete GPU for MPC-HC.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #8,489 of 9,120
  dmitriRender works for me on my Intel ultrabook.  Maybe you do not even need to worry about optimus :wink:
The stuttering is SVP itself.  Could be a boundary case caused by your source video, which SVP should address.  Could be inefficient code, which SVP should address.  So many possibilities that waste too much time to diagnose.

My last optimus enabled laptop had a BIOS option to disable the switching. 
Additionally you might be able to tweak the application specific settings in Nvidia control panel.  Moving the sliders and toggling settings that include "maximum performance" would hopefully kick in the discrete GPU for MPC-HC.

I already diagnozed what the problem is 
biggrin.gif

Nvidia has made all video playback applications run on integrated gpu, where there is one, to lower energy consumption. Even with stuttering and frame drops, I need to use Nvidia Inspector (free software for modifying driver settings) to make MPC-HC run on Nvidia Gpu. Now, all that is left for me is to see why it resets at random times, and how to make it remain the way I set it after restart. 

I think I could write a simple script that would run with every restart of computer to run all the steps necessary to make Nvidia Inspector set the variables to Enable nvidia gpu and un-hide it from gpu. I just have very little experience with writing scripts, and I am afraid I might mess things up worse. 

The other two problems remaining are why do these settings reset at random times, and why sometimes I get a crash with madVR, when going from full screen to windowed. 

I think I had given up on SVP all together, because even though it can be pretty good, when there is fast panning of the screen, the sides have bad tearing, and the panning does not work well with subtitles (using XYsub filter) 

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #8,490 of 9,120
Have you tried dmitriRender yet?  Not getting any stutters with a Intel 5Y71 CPU!  

Code Geass R1 Episode 01 - The Day a New Demon Was Born.mkv:
CPU Load ~89%
CPU Load (with dmitriRender enabled) ~90%

Your system should be alright lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back