PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Sep 27, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #8,431 of 9,120
  Okay, but that is the same thing as running your computer at fullhd and play a game in hd. This is not exactly beauty, and nor does it hold any advantage. 

I play every single game in fullhd, rather than lowering resolution I lower AA or other graphics settings, resolution comes in first with every single game.

It looks significantly better than just selecting 1080p in game on a 4k monitor. It helps those with 4k monitors that don't have the gpu power to play all of their games at native 4k.

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #8,432 of 9,120
Wow! Ryse is beautiful!

I can't really decide it this or Assassin's Creed Unity is more graphically impressive.

It's just odd that this game uses pre-recorded cut scenes. Seems completely needless.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #8,433 of 9,120
Normally, I would've considered the GTX 980 too expensive of an upgrade from my current GTX 760...

...but not when they cost $315 shipped, new in box and sealed, and I just got mine in the mail today!

Time to install it and see what it can do.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #8,435 of 9,120
^^^ where did you get it at that price? I don't remember evga b stock being that low.

Some dude on SimHQ apparently won it at a PC shop raffle shortly after he upgraded to a SLI Titan setup of some sort, so he figured he'd sell it off at 970 prices ($300 + $15 shipping).

It's just a reference model PNY card like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133563

Still, I'll probably waterblock and overclock it eventually, once the blocks don't cost over $100 anymore. Maxwell supposedly overclocks like crazy for a GPU.

Also, did some first impressions in a few games:

-Star Citizen is noticeably smoothed out, but still not perfect, especially on High/Very High. It's still an unoptimized alpha all around, though, so I won't sweat it too much.
-ArmA III on max draw distance still tanks in performance. I don't think a better GPU is going to do much here, since I can turn down some of the graphics settings and FPS doesn't increase any.
-DCS World is still as inefficient as ever without that EDGE update. I ran this benchmark mission as usual, and the moment I look right toward the hangar and the other A-10s taxiing in, framerate tanks to below 30 FPS. What's especially baffling is that some people with lower-end hardware seem to get better framerates regardless.
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=108231

...Actually, scratch that, DCS 1.5 just went open beta and performs MUCH better, no less than 40 FPS maxed in that same spot!

-Rise of Flight loves it, too. I can crank pretty much everything to max and not immediately notice any frame drops.
-ACIV: Black Flag still chokes with PhysX particles set to High, but dial that down to Normal, max everything else out, and it's all good.
-This one card apparently does better on 3DMark Fire Strike than GTX 760 SLI did, for the brief time that I could test the latter.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8760519

I should find some other things to bench while I'm at it.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #8,436 of 9,120
Quite happy with my new Wi-Fi setup :)

Ping of 7ms is pretty good too :)

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #8,437 of 9,120
Quite happy with my new Wi-Fi setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Ping of 7ms is pretty good too
smily_headphones1.gif

I get a ping of 80-100ms on wifi, and a dropping rate of maxim 2 mbps.

At least, with wire, I get much better rates!

You have a strong router too?

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #8,438 of 9,120
IYou have a strong router too?
Netgear R6250 (running stock FW, tried both DD-WRT and Tomato, and stock just works better for me), and the NIC is a TP Link T8E, nothing too fancy all things considered, but - they get the job done :D

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #8,439 of 9,120
Netgear R6250 (running stock FW, tried both DD-WRT and Tomato, and stock just works better for me), and the NIC is a TP Link T8E, nothing too fancy all things considered, but - they get the job done
biggrin.gif

This might explain the differences. 

You use a router that was at least 100$-130$ where I use a router that costed me 10$. TP-link something, I forgot the name. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back