PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Aug 10, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #9,046 of 9,120
  Amidst all these walls of text about AdobeRGB and sRGB and color gamut and all, I just want my three monitors to look the same. The "sRGB" mode looks different on all three, even though they are the exact same model. The values are fixed, and also different on all three.

4SJbVVn.jpg
iqZipEo.jpg
N4eXQ7d.jpg

I wish other companies calibrated their consumer-grade displays to sRGB like Apple does. That way at least the same content looks the same across different displays. This is especially relevant and important in multi-monitor setups.

Consumer displays usually aren't calibrated.

The only ones that do so right now are Dell with their Ultrasharps as far as I know (if we're talking about desktop monitors only). As for consumer grade computers that come with displays (eg. laptops) I think Apple, Dell w/ the XPS lineup, and maybe HP on their Elite and Spectre products (I'm not sure about the Elites) along with maybe the Surface products are probably calibrated. VAIO should be calibrated on the VAIO Z products.

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #9,047 of 9,120
So the damnedest thing: When I first got my GTX 1070 there were a few games the didn't show much improvement over my GTX 970. I was struggling to break 30FPS on Crysis 3 at 1080p, as well as Ryse at 1.5xSS. I couldn't even get Doom to hit 60FPS at 1080p.

Randomly, after restarting my computer the other day performance landed about where it should be. 60ish FPS on Ryse with 1.5xSS, 90-120FPS on Crysis 3 1080p, and about 120FPS on Doom at 2880x1620.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #9,048 of 9,120
Consumer displays usually aren't calibrated.

The only ones that do so right now are Dell with their Ultrasharps as far as I know (if we're talking about desktop monitors only). As for consumer grade computers that come with displays (eg. laptops) I think Apple, Dell w/ the XPS lineup, and maybe HP on their Elite and Spectre products (I'm not sure about the Elites) along with maybe the Surface products are probably calibrated. VAIO should be calibrated on the VAIO Z products.
LG do too, on their TOTL monitors...

Although heading towards two years old now, my 31MU97 still looks fantastic, and that's all I care about, not washed out like cheaper panels.

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #9,049 of 9,120
  So the damnedest thing: When I first got my GTX 1070 there were a few games the didn't show much improvement over my GTX 970. I was struggling to break 30FPS on Crysis 3 at 1080p, as well as Ryse at 1.5xSS. I couldn't even get Doom to hit 60FPS at 1080p.

Randomly, after restarting my computer the other day performance landed about where it should be. 60ish FPS on Ryse with 1.5xSS, 90-120FPS on Crysis 3 1080p, and about 120FPS on Doom at 2880x1620.

Classic case of driver jealously ... just took the old 970 driver hooks a little while to accept the change and finally let go of their control ... I go through the same thing when I get a new girlfriend... 

:)

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #9,050 of 9,120
LG do too, on their TOTL monitors...

Although heading towards two years old now, my 31MU97 still looks fantastic, and that's all I care about, not washed out like cheaper panels.

Monitors are one of those things that are generally more immune to age IMO just like audio gear. Sure there are advancements in the panel and driver technologies but if they looked or sounded good in the first place they will stay looking or sounding good for a long time.

Then again maybe everything will look like garbage against OLED panels with infinite black depth.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #9,051 of 9,120
  Whenever I feel like it. My last upgrade was a three generation jump (Radeon HD 5770 to the R7 370, that's three, right?), but there's a high likelihood that my next upgrade's gonna be a one generation jump (to the RX 480).

Given a R7 370 was an outdated HD7850, yes it's a 3 gen jump.

Until you feel the card you currently own isn't good enough for the games you play at the resolution you play?

That's why I buy high end cards really cheap O.o

I asked my father to wait a little longer for Skylake to come out but he was impatient and didnt want to wait so he got the 4790K. No NVMe SSDs for him then. Currently the setup is considered to be nearly as good as the Skylake variant but over time the difference will become more obvious.

As someone who's had both haswell and skylake ...

There is HUGE difference in the temps of skylake. (Very cool) but mostly performance wise didn't really improve much (5.7% at most) but OCs went up from 4.6 to 4.8 at least.

Monitors are one of those things that are generally more immune to age IMO just like audio gear. Sure there are advancements in the panel and driver technologies but if they looked or sounded good in the first place they will stay looking or sounding good for a long time.

Then again maybe everything will look like garbage against OLED panels with infinite black depth.

Man were you triggered

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #9,052 of 9,120

As someone who's had both haswell and skylake ...

There is HUGE difference in the temps of skylake. (Very cool) but mostly performance wise didn't really improve much (5.7% at most) but OCs went up from 4.6 to 4.8 at least.

Man were you triggered

Skylake was the usual efficiency improvements over Haswell. They added a more precise voltage curve or something and along with the node shrink was able to give some very respectable efficiency improvements. This was mostly aimed at mobile of course.

Yup, super triggered.

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #9,054 of 9,120
I think Zen and Vega are slated for Q4 2016. There was some recent article saying Zen for Q1 2017 but Zen was taped out awhile ago I think. Engineering samples have been out for a bit too.

Aug 12, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #9,056 of 9,120
I have gotten a new GPU for..... nearly 4 years now? Damn. Still running my 650Ti Boost, and she runs like a champ. I haven't done any work to it, not even changing thermal paste, just the very infrequent dusting.

I recently caved in and bought Squad. I don't think Humvees are supposed to do that. XD But hot damn the game is hard, compared to other shooters it is on completely different scale. It's quite impressive.

It also made my GPU hate my and my CPU probably despises me... :frowning2: It really does push a machine hard, all my settings are pretty much bottomed out and my GPU can't keep up with my CPU getting hit fairly hard. Hopefully when they get to optimization there will be massive improvements.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #9,057 of 9,120
Aug 12, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #9,058 of 9,120
I like the lighting, makes mine look pathetic...

What is it?

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #9,059 of 9,120
I am speechless, really nice builds. Got to say I like your personal machine the best.

Thanks! I lot of man hours went into all those builds. Mine is my favorite too, but I may be a little biased :p
I like the lighting, makes mine look pathetic...

What is it?

Just some RGB LED strips I got off ebay. I also made an extension for it and ran another strip behind my desk for some sweet mood lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back