PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jul 17, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #8,284 of 9,120
  2010 Dell 15R

i5 450m, 4gb ram, ati video, 2gb, 

It seems that now it has calmed down and is idling (some browsers open) at 55 C. I thought that it should reach 80-90C at most when intensive gaming. 

I have an MSI GS70 Stealth Pro (GTX970m video card) ... it's uber thin, weighs about 4.5lbs ... games like a beast ... and it generally idles around 50C and maxes out around 79-80 in all games ... 

I think a 70C idle point is pretty bad ... whether it would impact the life of your notebook or not is anybodies guess; I had a Sony laptop that would idle in the 60's and it's now my brothers work machine and is about five years old, going strong, ... so who knows.

I'm not concerned about my MSI's idle temp of 50ish or so at all ... especially considering how bloody thin/light it is ...

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #8,286 of 9,120

One hell of a build, took me a few hours, managed to squeeze everything in. The other side just has the GPU.

Have to say, it was really fun, wasn't that hard at all. I did most of the planning and wire routing in my head before hand, I just had to deal with the issues that came up.

Sweet case! Was planning to downsize my 250D to that.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #8,287 of 9,120
Oh yeah, I did some things to it.

Yes, it fits in a backpack.

Next to a BitFenix Prodigy.

I improved the cabling and what not, plus swapped out the CPU's thermal paste to w/e Noctua makes. I also have new RAM sticks in it now, beautiful blue vengeance sticks, but too lazy to get pictures.

Sorry for the camera movement, I had just biked to my friend's house.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #8,288 of 9,120
If I were new to the scene I'd be hard pressed to think those were both mITX cases.

*sigh* Tempted to just spend another $600 and go an Athlon II X4 860K and a 750 Ti to replace my aging A10-5800K, which I haven't even bothered OCing yet. Even if I did OC it it would still be a weak performer.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/HybridCore/saved/#view=tJxdnQ

I don't know how well a 4+2 phase would take the Athlon. I'm not sure if I would be able to hit 4.5GHz down the road. Also need to check dimensions on the heatsink and the motherboard socket to see if it touches the PCIe x16 slot.

Saddest part is that this is basically the same price my 5800K build went for and this has a lot more power to it.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #8,290 of 9,120
Happy fun times ahead.

While I was at the computer parts store buying stuff, I also considered downsizing my existing mid-tower case to a mini-tower. So I asked the clerk:

"I'm looking for a mini-tower case for a micro ATX board, preferably one with two USB 3.0 front panel connectors. Which case do you recommend?"

To which he promptly answered:

"A mini-tower case uses a mini ITX board; a micro ATX won't fit."

Me: "Yeah it will, I've had, like, two mini towers before and I'm sure they're micro ATX cases."

Clerk: "Those are mini-mid towers." (or some BS like that)

Me: "Mid-towers are a little bigger than mini-towers, they typically have four optical bays while minis have two at most."

Clerk: "Not all mid-towers have four bays."

He was right, of course - some mid-towers don't have any optical bays at all, but it was obvious enough that  I was using them as a measurement of the case height. This guy just doesn't want to sell me a mini-tower case...

Me: "You know the Cooler Master N200?"

Clerk: "Yeah."

Me: "That's a mini-tower."

Clerk: "No it isn't. Trust me; someone who works here."

At this point, I learned that this this guy was an idiot, so I ended up not buying a new case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back