PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
May 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #5,597 of 9,120
Anyone know what the difference between the Z87 and Z97 chipset on LGA1150?

Native M.2 support? I mean, I'm pretty sure Z87 supported M.2 but none of the motherboards (at least to my knowledge) had a M.2 slot on it (although the amount of M.2 SSDs out there are sparse. Even the Samsung made the 840 EVO mSATA edition instead of a M.2 edition).

Anybody else excited for i3 Chromebooks? I want one really bad just for the sake of having a nice cheap subnotebook/ultrabook. Crouton + Distro of choice ftw. It would probably see more use than my Samsung ATIV Book 9 tbh.

May 14, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #5,598 of 9,120
Yeah I think it's now just "official" M.2 support and there were some changes to the Intel rapid store that allow more RAID/TRIM options on PCI-E drives and stuff. Not really much different all in all.

May 14, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #5,600 of 9,120
Anyone here have experience soldering traces on pcb? I dropped the deck for my car stereo and it done how cracked the edge of the pcb just slightly. I'm pretty decent at soldering and the components that aren't working are only buttons and the volume knob. The lcd and everything else still works perfectly so I won't be like those crazies that repair mobos with high frequency component traces.

May 14, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #5,601 of 9,120
Anyone here have experience soldering traces on pcb? I dropped the deck for my car stereo and it done how cracked the edge of the pcb just slightly. I'm pretty decent at soldering and the components that aren't working are only buttons and the volume knob. The lcd and everything else still works perfectly so I won't be like those crazies that repair mobos with high frequency component traces.
No, just dump molten lead everywhere and you'll be fine.

May 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #5,603 of 9,120

Anybody else excited for i3 Chromebooks? I want one really bad just for the sake of having a nice cheap subnotebook/ultrabook. Crouton + Distro of choice ftw. It would probably see more use than my Samsung ATIV Book 9 tbh.

I certainly am. I want a nice cheap i3 Chromebook and run OS X on it to see how it does. I'm also a dork.

May 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #5,605 of 9,120
After a delay in delivery, I was able to get Win 8.1 installed on my HTPC. I'm currently using a spare 4:3 monitor to set it up and man.... that tile UI was not designed for 4:3 lol. After using Win 8 on my tablet I still feel it'll be viable for the HTPC when I get it connected to my TV, though I doubt I'll use that interface and stay in the desktop space most of the time.

Anyone here use Plex or XMBC before? Any suggestions? It seems people like XMBC more.

May 15, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #5,606 of 9,120
Windows 8 and 8.1 are great except for the pathetic tablet-central interface. It's not Metro UI that I hate. The only thing I hate is metro apps. Metro UI is fine. If anything, it's actually very helpful if you use live tiles like the weather or mail tiles.

May 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #5,607 of 9,120
Native M.2 support? I mean, I'm pretty sure Z87 supported M.2 but none of the motherboards (at least to my knowledge) had a M.2 slot on it (although the amount of M.2 SSDs out there are sparse. Even the Samsung made the 840 EVO mSATA edition instead of a M.2 edition).

i3 Chomebooks? Maybe an i7 Extreme Chromebook. Or a fx-8350 Chromebook.
I wonder how affordable they'll be now!

May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #5,608 of 9,120
Funny that you're all taking about Windows 8... I spent an hour and a half in my schools library which just got some new computers with Windows 8 it was my first time using it but three people came and went during my time there. They all had problems with it two people literally said "what the ******" and "what's this new s**t" the other person got lost in metro or what ever it's called. Heavy sighing occurred. It was pretty funny seeing everyones reaction to Windows 8.

May 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #5,609 of 9,120
After a delay in delivery, I was able to get Win 8.1 installed on my HTPC. I'm currently using a spare 4:3 monitor to set it up and man.... that tile UI was not designed for 4:3 lol. After using Win 8 on my tablet I still feel it'll be viable for the HTPC when I get it connected to my TV, though I doubt I'll use that interface and stay in the desktop space most of the time.

Anyone here use Plex or XMBC before? Any suggestions? It seems people like XMBC more.

Depends on your needs.  I like XBMC more, but most of my friends prefer Plex.
  Windows 8 and 8.1 are great except for the pathetic tablet-central interface. It's not Metro UI that I hate. The only thing I hate is metro apps. Metro UI is fine. If anything, it's actually very helpful if you use live tiles like the weather or mail tiles.

I find it counter intuitive to have to be pushed back in forth between the metro homescreen on a desktop.  Cannot wait for the new start menu.  Afaik tiles can reside in it, which makes it a lot more practical and sensible on a desktop computer.  Very smart move by Microsoft

Funny that you're all taking about Windows 8... I spent an hour and a half in my schools library which just got some new computers with Windows 8 it was my first time using it but three people came and went during my time there. They all had problems with it two people literally said "what the ******" and "what's this new s**t" the other person got lost in metro or what ever it's called. Heavy sighing occurred. It was pretty funny seeing everyones reaction to Windows 8.

Potato people should stay on XP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back