Pay-what-you-want FLAC? 24/96 wav? Who released that?
Jan 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
I forget who, but I think some big name rock band released some music as "pay what you want" internet format, and they not only released mp3's, but also released FLAC and 24/96 .wav too? Does anyone remember who did that, or what the link was to download it? I think it was a rock band, but I can't remember. Can someone link me? Thanks!

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluegun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forget who, but I think some big name rock band released some music as "pay what you want" internet format, and they not only released mp3's, but also released FLAC and 24/96 .wav too? Does anyone remember who did that, or what the link was to download it? I think it was a rock band, but I can't remember. Can someone link me? Thanks!

Radiohead did this with "In Rainbows"

You can't download it anymore though. Here is the link anyways: http://www.inrainbows.com/

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 11
There was the Radiohead thing, but I don't think they did anything high-rez. Nine Inch Nails released The Slip completely free of charge in 24/96. There have been a few others I think. Supposedly the next Smashing Pumpkins album is going to have some kind of pay what you want system.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 11
Lots of house artists release mp3s to blogs. I haven't really heard of releasing lossless though. Did Radiohead release lossless?

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluegun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You mean this?
maudlin of the Well - Part The Second - Downloads

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cianyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean this?
maudlin of the Well - Part The Second - Downloads

Stellar album, 24 bit makes it sound oh so much better
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 11
Another one of note which I discovered recently. Dublin-based experimental/prog band Yurt released their debut "Ege Artemis Yurtum" for free, and it's available in FLAC.

"Legions of Yurt, sonic guerrillas, cerebral oscillators and other assorted hellspawn - On this, the occasion of Grianstad an Gheimhridh 2009 ( Winter Solstice ), The sonic elders of YURT are pleased to announce EGE ARTEMIS YURTUM, a celebration of voluminous soundwaves for your pleasure.

EGEARTEMISYURTUMcoversmallcopy.jpg

Tracklist

1. Flight of the Intergalactic Mallard
2. Run the Gauntlet
3. Bushmeat
4. Mog's Brain Tumor Diagnosis
5. The Fear of all Sums

Running time approx. 52 minutes

This is available to download for free at one of the link options below. All MP3 files contain full artwork and lyrics. You are permitted to redistribute at will, however, if posting on a blog or similar, please let us know and more importantly, link directly to the source here rather than re-upping files elsewhere so that we can can monitor the volume of traffic. Your comments and feedback are very welcome. The sonic elders of YURT have spoken."

YURT ATTACK

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stellar album, 24 bit makes it sound oh so much better
smily_headphones1.gif

You know that 24bit simply means a potential for bigger dynamic range, right?

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know that 24bit simply means a potential for bigger dynamic range, right?

When you put it that way, yeah. But it's not that simple ever. The recorded music is saved as 24-bit masters, not 16-bit. When the CD is released the quantization is done with machinery.

We know (except for the SS officers) that the machines aren't perfect.

Other thing is, the playback equipment (particularly the DAC chip and before it) can handle 16-bit ja 24-bit source material differently and it can raise notable difference between stuff. Your suggestion--that the 24-bit music is just snake oil-- is a bit oversimplified, I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back