Pass Labs introduces their new headphone amplifier at CES 2015
Jan 19, 2015 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

R Giskard

Used to work for HAD Audiolab
Previously known as Akatona.
Hi folks!

The moment I have waited for years has finally arrived and Pass Laboratories have just introduced their new headphone amplifier at CES.

Some of you may be familiar with Pass Laboratories. The company was founded by Nelson Pass, a world-renowned audio designer and virtually a legendary contributor to the DIY community. Today, Pass Labs is known for uncompromising approach to design of audio amplifiers, line-level preamplifiers and phono preamplifiers. To put things in perspective, only a handful companies enjoy the reputation of unmistakble audio fidelity, quality of workmanship and ongoing audio research as Pass Labs.

Pass Labs played a major role in the past as well as it does today. Nakamichi used Pass Labs expertise in their highest quality receivers and amplifiers in the 1980s. Sony's introduction of the Super Audio CD standard was reinforced by the "series 1" products and the magnificent amplification was designed by Pass Labs. Sony still uses Pass Labs amplification in their mastering studios. The list goes on.

Early last year, I contacted Mr. Desmond Harrington of Pass Labs to ask whether Pass was considering making a headphone amplifier. Of course, many, many DIY projects by Nelson Pass were already out there but what I had in mind was something commercially-available. At first, Mr. Harrington's reply was negative but he inspired me when he said I should contact him in several months at which point he might have some news for me. Time passed by and I became restless like I always do and just as Mr. Harrington promised, he indeed had some good news for me!

I waited till the amplifier was introduced to the world. It now is so there is no reason for me to share my happiness with the rest of you!

In my latest correspondence, Mr. Harrington kindly forwarded my email to Mr. Jam Somasundram who in turn replied to all of my questions regarding their new headphone amplifier.

These are some of the features of the Pass Labs headphone amplfier:

- Pure class A operation with low feedback
- Discrete circuitry including discrete regulators
- MOS-FET output stage, J-FET input stage
- Custom-built low-noise toroid transformer in Faraday cage
- High quality volume control by Alps
- Two single-ended inputs, relay switchable
- Headphone/preamplifier selectivity

Mr. Somasundram explained that special care has been taken when designing the transformer and power supply in order to achieve the lowest noise floor possible. One of the design criteria was to allow for compatiility with a wide variety of headphones available today. The amplifier is designed to work with loads from 20 to 600 Ohm and is equally capable with modern-day planar-magnetic and more traditional dynamic drivers.

Mr. Harrington says they home to have the amplifier ready by the month of May.

I must add a personal comment here and say Pass Labs amplifiers are highly realistic and convincing -sounding amplifiers. If you desire immediacy without losing the ambience and the atmosphere, then you must listen to Pass Labs. To me, it is the emotional component of the music that they bring out so clearly, so delightfully.

So thank you Pass Labs! I am very happy and I think you will make a good number of people as happy as I am.

Cheers everyone!
Antun

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 24

Looking forward to hearing more about this.  Looks like it will only have single ended operation?

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 24
 Looking forward to hearing more about this.  Looks like it will only single ended operation?

Hi! Yes, the amplifier is single-ended. According to Mr. Harrington, they are considering a balanced amplifier at a later date. They are, however, confident this amplifier will drive virtually any headphone with an impedance between 20 and 600 Ohm. As a result of this criteria, the amplifier design is basically a miniature version of their power amplifiers and the internal voltage rails run at plus/minus 24 V. So the amplfier will be capable of delivering both high current to low impedance headphones and high voltage to high impedance headphones.

Cheers!
Antun

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 24
Here's a photo with proud papa Jam. There will be another switch added before it's officially released (a preamp out/headphone out switch).

EDIT: And here's the video that Tyll shot. Straight from the designer's mouth.

http://youtu.be/q9P-_UT1Zk0

se

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 24
  [...] They are, however, confident this amplifier will drive virtually any headphone with an impedance between 20 and 600 Ohm. As a result of this criteria, the amplifier design is basically a miniature version of their power amplifiers and the internal voltage rails run at plus/minus 24 V. So the amplfier will be capable of delivering both high current to low impedance headphones and high voltage to high impedance headphones.
[...]

Oh my, I do like!  

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 24
According to Mr. Jam Somasundram who designed the amplifier, Audeze LCD-X and Sennheiser HD650 have been used in the creation of this amplifier. He also tells me both Oppo headphone and it's amplifier have been used as well.

Apart from Bryston, Pass is the only high-end manufacturer with the breeding and the pedigree in high-performance amplification to enter the market of headphone amplifiers. The Bryston BHA-1 amplifier has become my reference since it's introduction but if there is one company in the world that could out-to Bryton in amplification, then it has to be Pass Labs. This amplifier will be as good as it gets, mark my words.

Cheers!
Antun

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 24
I'm not up to date on Pass Labs, but what happen to Nelson Pass that he isn't designing things?  

I've wanted an Aleph 3 since the mid 90s.  I still dream...

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 24
  I'm not up to date on Pass Labs, but what happen to Nelson Pass that he isn't designing things?  

He's still around! His latest thing is the XS range which is absurdly good! But he's not the only designer over at "his" lab! :)

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 24
Very cool, I've been waiting for this thread.  I would use this amp for lower sensitive headphones like TH900s and the like.  I have this AWESOME creature being used with my planar magnetic headphones.

Looks like the suggested MSRP will be $3500.  This will compete with the SimAudio MOON Neo 430HA and the McIntosh MHA100.

I'm sure there's better 1/4" plug to use besides that one.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 24

Check for "First Watt" , this is Nelson's home brew from the kitchen table
wink.gif
Every circuit from his personal grey matter. A pretty different concept than the fancy official PassLabs stuff.
Certain limitations, esp. output power but when your speakers have a decent efficiency hook them up with a First Watt and be surprised what they really can do. I got a M2 about 2 month ago and my jaw is still dropping when I rediscover some my old music. Just awesome and pretty affordable - at least in comparison to the Pass Labs line
rolleyes.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 24
I owned the First Watt F1, then got it upgraded to the F1J (by Nelson himself).  Boy, was that amp a joy, only 100 was made IIRC so it will be very hard to come by one.  If you do I say jump on it and fast.  Yes, the Pass Labs line of amps are more expensive, but in this case - you really do get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back