Parasound zdac reviews?
Mar 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

oogabooga

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know of any reviews of the zdac? Not finding any here or around the net. 
TIA

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 85
Quote:
Does anyone know of any reviews of the zdac? Not finding any here or around the net. 
TIA

Here you go, its a newer DAC so I'd look for more reviews to come:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/parasound-zdac

It "appears" that a mistake was made in this review, the Parasound website states that the Zdac does in fact use an asynchronous USB input. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 85
Thanks KLJtech. Looks like another review was just posted
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/parasound-zdac

and this one confirms the asynchronous USB input you mention.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 85
Quote:

Here you go, its a newer DAC so I'd look for more reviews to come:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/parasound-zdac

It "appears" that a mistake was made in this review, the Parasound website states that the Zdac does in fact use an asynchronous USB input. 

Thanks for the heads up and link!
Its odd, I commented under the first review at audiostream.com saying "thanks for the review" yet "in my system" I've had better results than the reviewer and went on to describe what I was hearing. I now see that my comments have been removed. Obviously we're just talking about opinions here, I understand that mine are no more important then the reviewer...weird. 

I'm enjoying the Zdac right now and think anyone in the market should give it a listen. 
Thanks again,
-Kevin 

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 85
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up and link!
Its odd, I commented under the first review at audiostream.com saying "thanks for the review" yet "in my system" I've had better results than the reviewer and went on to describe what I was hearing. I now see that my comments have been removed. Obviously we're just talking about opinions here, I understand that mine are no more important then the reviewer...weird. 

I'm enjoying the Zdac right now and think anyone in the market should give it a listen. 
Thanks again,
-Kevin 

That review is not showing up on their homepage......but it can be accessed from your link.....I dont think the reviewer minds your opinion, its probably a server error

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 85
Quote:
That review is not showing up on their homepage......but it can be accessed from your link.....I dont think the reviewer minds your opinion, its probably a server error

My comments are now showing once again below where Parasound responds to the review. I thought surely the reviewer isn't upset over a slight difference of opinion and I'm glad that wasn't the case. I'm surprised that they didn't amend the review to point out that the Zdac is in fact asynchronous via its USB input. I moved the Zdac (silver model...matches my two Halo amps) from my office to my main system in my living room the other day and you'd never know that its a sub $500 DAC. Its incredible how good some of these lower to mid price DAC's are getting.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 85
Quote:

My comments are now showing once again below where Parasound responds to the review. I thought surely the reviewer isn't upset over a slight difference of opinion and I'm glad that wasn't the case. I'm surprised that they didn't amend the review to point out that the Zdac is in fact asynchronous via its USB input. I moved the Zdac (silver model...matches my two Halo amps) from my office to my main system in my living room the other day and you'd never know that its a sub $500 DAC. Its incredible how good some of these lower to mid price DAC's are getting.

Well I can't see any way to add comments on the review now....

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 85
They're after the manufacturer's comments...no big deal, I just found it more impressive than the reviewer. I think my opinions are more in line with this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/parasound-zdac

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 85
Do you mean directly, plugging your headphones into the XLR jacks?  

I have no idea about the zdac. I can share a simliar experience, trying to drive HD600s directly through the XLR outputs of an Apogee MiniDac. I found the sound a little flat. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 85
Quote:
Yeah, I'm looking for a desktop dac which will drive heaphones through XLR outputs to the headphones themselves. Does the parasound or the HRT dac fit this description?

I am not sure how well the HRT DACs will be for this purpose as they are USB powered. Thus they can only get a maximum of 500 mA of current from the usb port.....unless you want to use a powered USB hub.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 85
The XLR outs are fixed just like the RCA outs and are not controlled by the front panel volume control. The output via the Balanced outputs is: 4.2 V RMS. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back