Panasonic SL-S250C - Where do I stand?
Jul 17, 2003 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

clandestine

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all -
Well I made it for a whole year as a casual visitor to the forums......and then I read Duncans PCDP Bible and the huge accompanying thread. Now I find myself asking everybody I know if they have old Discmen to lend/sell me.
My first score is a Panasonic SL-S250C....scored it this morning from my girlfriend, who used it briefly in '95. I am assuming that this player is no big deal, otherwise my forum search for this model would've turned something up. Nonetheless, I have to say I was completely astonished when I plugged my 4Ps in and listened to a few tracks. It was like night and day from my 2001-model Sony! All I can say is that it seems to have much more power, and sounds ten times better than the Sony, or any other portable in recent memory for that matter. Is there anyone familiar with this one or its family (build date Aug. '94)? It is a car model (denoted by the C in the model name, I presume?), and says MASH on the front...anti-skip, I'm guessing. How do these stack up against the much-coveted older Sonys?
I have a feeling (and am hoping) that with this one I have just hit the tip of the iceberg, and that much more amazement awaits me and my ears. Also, where to next? Denon DCP-150, Vintage Sony?
Thanks for your opinions and your help.

Jul 18, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 7
A friendly bump for you clandestine...

Welcome to head-fi...

Unfortunately as my review dictates, I haven't really trodden much away from the path of Sony with only the Optimus CD3400 being a non-sony player thus far...

Hopefully one of the other rabid collectors will be able to jump in though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 7
I have an SL-S470C, from the same era:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=35198

Yes, the "C" suffix designated a "car-ready" model. MASH is not the name for the anti-skip system, but rather the "high-order noise shaping and pulse-width-modulation digital to analog converter" (from my Panasonic literature).

I don't remember hearing any of the highly-touted "holy grail" Sonys, but I did choose the SL-S470C back in '94 after testing it against the top-of-the-line Sony and Kenwood units of the time.

Jan 18, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi,

This is an old thread-- but as you said about your Panasonic, I couldn't find much on mine either... I have the same SL- S250C and for a portable this mother is sexxxy!

Actually, I haven't heard a better portable player than my Panasonic and I don't intend on getting rid of it. It skips fairly easily in my car but as a stand alone source, it works surprisingly good! The sound is very enjoyable.

I enjoy the clarity of the unit. It doesn't muck down the mids and highs like other players I've heard. Also, it has a nice soundstage-- pushes the music forward and not some massive mess of sound with no direction. It has quite a bit a power and could drive my old Senn 580's just fine. I was going to buy a new portable recently but when I heard them, I just couldn't get any better. Overall A+ portable for me...

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 7
Hello!  I realize this was posted a long time ago but I just found this site in an attempt to find this very player. I bought one of these back in 1994 after saving my allowance and odd jobs cash and after spending countless  hours figuring out what was the best sounding player on the market at the time. I was 14 and I loved music. This is still hands down the best portable player I have ever come across. I paid $100 back then for it and and loved it so very much. I wish I never would have sold it. I hope yours works and that you found it to be the beautiful musical machine that mine was.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Panasonic CD Players imo were great sound players with excellent sound. The S-XBS enhancement were far better than the Megabass on other brand players. There was one Panasonic CD player I remember which had 2 flaps on the side to open the lid and was all metal. This was was just stunning by looks & sound. Their 'MASH' lineup was good value for the money.

I wish they would release a DAP, as I see they are the only contenders to Sony to bring out a product in the 'price-range'.
Quote:
  Hello!  I realize this was posted a long time ago but I just found this site in an attempt to find this very player. I bought one of these back in 1994 after saving my allowance and odd jobs cash and after spending countless  hours figuring out what was the best sounding player on the market at the time. I was 14 and I loved music. This is still hands down the best portable player I have ever come across. I paid $100 back then for it and and loved it so very much. I wish I never would have sold it. I hope yours works and that you found it to be the beautiful musical machine that mine was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back