Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zircona In Ear Headphones [Review]
Oct 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 128

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus

Introduction

My interest in these earphones was piqued by Orange1 when she started this thread about these earphones and thus the FOTM started soon afterwards. The FOTM period came and passed and I ended up not getting a pair until recently when the price went down and I grabbed a pair off another head-fi member. Now whether these were just another FOTM or the real deal will be determined shortly.

One thing I don't like is audio jargon but that's inevitable here. There are times when I have some issues trying to explain what I am hearing as that is not easy to do imo so hopefully you will all understand me. I know some of you may be new and don't understand some of the terms so this link should make it easier for you and imo is the best audiophile dictionary I have seen.
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html

Background

As with the rest of my reviews my background is an important thing to know of so you know my personal biases and what I am familiar with. My signature is up to date and consists of my current gear. My previous gear is in my profile listed by order of ownership or to the best of my memory it is. My personal preference goes along the line of what I like to call neutrality. For reference some of my favorite earphones have been the Audio Technica CK10 and Hifiman RE0.

My musical preferences in no particular order are pop, rock, trance, country, jazz and asian pop.

Also as a disclaimer for my review everything here is IMO so YMMV. Please do not flame me if you disagree. I also make no attempt to try to write this from a neutral point of view since I do not believe that's possible. I will write it from my experiences and how I enjoy listening to an earphone which means certain preference biases which have already been pointed out.

Review Gear

Source: Cowon J3, Audinst HUD-MX1
Phones: Panasonic HJE900
Bitrate: A mix of mp3 to FLAC

Specifications

Frequency Range: 6-28000 Hz
Impedance: 26 Ω
Sensitivity: 100 dB/mW
Connector: 3.5mm gold plated straight plug
Cable: 1.0m user detachable silver coated OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) cable
Driver: 8.5mm dynamic driver

Packaging and Included Accessories

The package of the HJE900 sets off a couple of alarms in my head that just screams marketing BS. The first is the “Hi-Fidelity for Audiophiles” displayed on the front of the packaging and the other is that these are made of Cubic Zirconia. If you have no idea what that is then you probably think it's some kind of material that sounds fancy and exotic but in actuality is some ridiculously cheap material. Have no fear however as thanks to Wikipedia I am now your local head-fi expert on the topic of Zirconia. For those of you that know what the Moh's hardness scale it Cubic Zirconia registers a value of 8 on that scale. That hardness scale is none other than that useless crap you learned in school all those years ago in some geology, earth science or similar class and today is the day when those useless classes finally came into use.

Now moving on to what's actually included in the package. You get just of bare minimum of what should be included in a pair of earphones. You get a set of silicone tips in three sizes, a carrying pouch, some documentation and of course the earphones and the cables. All of this comes in an easy to open package unlike some other manufacturers where it comes in a bomb proof impossible to open without cutting yourself plastic.

Build Quality

My build quality standard is and will be the Audio Technica CK10 until I own another pair of phones that surpasses that phone's build quality. These are the first pair of universals that come dangerously close to the CK10 build but I still consider the CK10 to be better package for reasons I shall give below.

The housing of these are made of Cubic Zirconia and are very solidly built and they look just as nice as the material it is made of. You would need to do some serious damage to break them and I mean some serious damage. There are L and R markings by the connector on the cable to distinguish the left and right as the housings are identical as they should be. There are three vents per earphone near the nozzle area. You have a detachable cable so it is user replaceable which is great! According to another head-fi member Sleek Audio cables work so you don't have to learn Japanese to try to find a replacement cable off Amazon Japan. You have a chin slider that is too loose but for the most part functional and a straight connector which I have come to prefer over right angle. My only issue is the cable as it does retain memory and feels cheap compared to the rest of the build. If these had the CK10 cable in user replaceable fashion then these would be the best built universal earphone the world will ever know.

Preferred Tips

For those of you who are new to earphones or just unaware tips make a huge difference. You can bring out the potential of an earphone with the right tips or you can make a great sounding earphone sound horrible with the wrong set of tips. So I gathered all the larger nozzle sized tips I own and searched for the best tips.

I've tried many tips and I liked my “balanced” MEElectronics M9 tips. A close second was the UE silicone tips that came with a TF10. These earphones like tips that have a larger nozzle so I would recommend any kind of MEElectronics or UE tips. I would really suggest buying any of these kind of tips or a combination of them as the supplied tips are garbage and they are also smaller than what you would expect for tip sizes.

Microphonics and Isolation

I wear these over the ear so microphonics are not an issue. The chin slider and over the ear pretty much eliminates microphonics. If you wear them straight down then there will be some microphonics present especially if you are doing anything active. Isolation is about average. They aren't as good as an Etymotic but nowhere near as bad as the DDM. They are somewhere in the middle and definitely adequate enough for everyday portable use.

My isolation test is quite simple. I have to be able to enjoy my music while on the subway, bus and walking on the streets of NYC.

Fit and Comfort

I have no issues with fit or comfort. They are pretty simple to put on and pretty comfortable. They don't disappear like some other earphones but are not so uncomfortable to the point where it is just maddening.

Sound Signature

Note: My judging of these earphones are not of the stock earphone. I did one small mod. That mod was to take the filter off, add some foam and then put the filter back on. What the mod basically does is make the treble less harsh when it is harsh and bump the mids up. I did my sound signature testing with my Cowon J3. Most of the files used were somewhere between v0 mp3 and FLAC.

Bass extension is by far the biggest surprise here and these have surpassed my expectations by far. These little things boast a pretty impressive bass extension that is only beaten by the best universal earphones that cost many times more. They do fall a little bit short but not by much. They do have a slight boost in the mid bass which gives the perception of a roll off compared to the sub bass. Their boosted mid bass is the foundation on which their warmth comes from. The bass is very much like the stereotype of a dynamic driver bass. For those dynamic driver junkies who can't get enough of the low bass rumble you get plenty of that here. The bass has good impact with good speed but at the same time having accurate decay. These may not satisfy hard core bass heads like an Eterna may be able to do but don't get me wrong. These are nothing like some earphones that are lacking in bass like some Etymotic earphones.

The midrange is surprisingly detailed despite being slightly recessed. The foam mod brings the mids up while still retaining all the detail from without the mod. Strings sound wonderful here. Acoustic, electric, piano, etc. all sound natural and at no time while listening to these did I have to wonder what instrument was being played like some other earphones I've had in the past. Vocals are nice with a small addition of warmth here which is part of the unique sound signature of the HJE900 which makes them so engaging to my ears.

The treble has a a good amount of sparkle but lives dangerously at where most people would consider it a very sibilant phone. There are a couple of peaks in the treble area which can easily be fixed. A simple addition of some foam helps with that or if you have access to a good parametric EQ it is an easy fix. Outside of those possibly problematic areas the treble is very nice with good extension. It has a good amount of detail and has very good clarity for a dynamic driver.

Sound stage as a whole is about average here. The depth of the stage is much more impressive than the width of the sound stage however. Due to it's impressive depth imaging is done nicely and so is instrument separation. It's not the most precise imaging I have ever experienced but it definitely is good.

Lastly I consider timbre of most dynamics to be quite accurate and usually more accurate than their BA counterparts with some exceptions here and there. I don't know what the material of the HJE900 adds to it but I find the timbre quite accurate and one of the better timbres that I have heard.

Song Comparison

This section of the review is where I did my critical listening. The listening setup was EeePC1005HA (with Ubuntu 8.10) using mpd+gmpc connected to my Audinst HUD-MX1 via usb and then the HJE900 connected to a 68 ohm impedance adapter. Also the song title format goes as follows Artist – Title [Album Name] File Quality

Deep Purple – Strange Kind Of Woman [Made In Japan] FLAC
The bass is pretty powerful with lots of impact but never overpowering and with good authority when needed. Vocals are wonderfully engaging. All various forms of guitar sound natural and electric shows it's authority when needed. These handle this song well with excellent instrument separation along with speed when the song gets more complex.

Eagles – Hotel California [Hotel California] FLAC
Bass once again boasts a nice low extension. There's a good amount of detail here in this song. You get to hear all the little nuances that one would expect. Vocals are a little further back than I am used to. Imaging and instrument separation is wonderful here. There is no added sibilance here!

Markus Schulz – I Am [Progression] 320kbps
The first thing you notice is a nice stage here which I like. These phones can definitely keep up as trance is not the slowest of genres. Bass hits hards and has a nice decay. Separation is good as well. There's a slight addition of warmth here however compared to some of the earphones that I enjoy trance with but overall quite pleasant.

Priscilla Ahn – Red Cape [A Good Day] 320kbps
The acoustic is done nicely and you can hear all the little details. Instrument separation is a bit better than I was expecting and imaging is very good here. Vocals sound natural with excellent clarity. Bass continue to hit hard and boast an impressive extension.

Eva Cassidy – Fields of Gold [Songbird] FLAC
Vocals are excellent sound natural and you can definitely feel the emotion of the vocals. All the instruments sound wonderful. Guitars are especially done nicely with a great amount of detail. This is just very relaxing where I could fall asleep to but I do have to finish the rest of this review
smily_headphones1.gif

Sarah McLachlan – Building a Mystery [Surfacing] FLAC
This is one of my favorite artists and a song that I know quite well. Vocals sound amazing. It sounds natural while having good clarity. Guitars are done wonderfully and you can hear all the little details here. Electric is also nice and gives it the authority that comes with them. Bass has good impact, speed and good decay. Crash and ride sounds pretty accurate to my ears.

Conclusion

I simply continue to be a huge sucker for products that offer a bang for your buck. These phones definitely qualify there. While they may not be the best bang for your buck in the market today (imo of course) but they are pretty damn close. I find it quite odd that these are not talked about more here at head-fi while certain products that are similarly priced but do not offer such high value are talked about more often. These are a great product especially at the current going price of under $100 shipped. Something like this a couple years ago easily would be over $200 and closer to $300. You get great sound out of these. They boast very good bass extension, excellent detailed mids and a nice extended treble although it can be a bit much at times. These may not be the end all be all earphone that will hit your audio nirvana but they definitely deserve a spot in my collection where I can switch depending on my mood and what signature I want to be listening to. These are an absolute steal at under $100
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions please let me know. Also if you see any errors please let me know.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 128
Great review rawster! I agree on most every point with the experience I have so far.

Question, what is the difference between Meelec's "balanced" tips and their regular bi-flanges, if any? I remember having liked the biflanged sound but Iost one of my pair before I could conclusively select it over single flanges.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 128
EXCELLENT review @ rawrster, and for the most part I agree with everything you said. Nice job in giving the character of these in-ear monitors. Your reviews get stronger and stronger buddy. I really enjoyed it!
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 128
The M9 came with two biflange tips. One was balanced and the other was bass heavy according to MEElectronics. Outside of color they do differ in feel and stiffness.I like the biflange a bit better as it is softer.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 128
Great job rawrster.  x2 on the impressions.  The foam mod bringing mids up and helping the treble balance seems a nice touch.  That would make them quite the purchase for anyone needing a bang per buck phone that can challenge the big dogs costing 2-4xs as much.

x2 on the M9 balanced tip.  It is a softer silicone which attenuates some of that bass reflex I surmise.  I used the same tips for the 900s when I had them.  

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 128
Thanks everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

@eric: I'd hope that my reviews are getting better. If they get worse that's not moving in the right direction. Outside of the time it takes to write one up writing reviews are helpful for the most part as it helps you understand your earphone (in this case) better.

The foam mod was a nice touch on them although they weren't bad stock. I did them mostly to help out the midrange as I can handle just about any type of treble. On certain tracks they were a bit sibilant when it wasn't supposed to and it helped that out as well. The sansa buds that came with my clip+ finally found some kind of use as I used the foam from that.

@rotter2142: You have to realize that we all hear differently and have different preferences so there won't be a single product that there will be a universal consensus on regardless of price. I do enjoy these and they are a good addition to my RE-Zero. I think more people see these as a good product than a bad one. I actually bought these mostly to do a comparison with a FA Eterna and then sell them both but I traded my Eterna and have kept the HJE900
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 128
That mids mod sounds interesting, but fortunately the mids are forward enough for me without the mod. It's great that the mod doen't take much away from the sound for those who find that move necessary.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 128
I think most people do the mod for the treble harshness. My ears can handle just about any kind of treble harshness and I only got it on a select few tracks. I did it more for the mids which I felt was a step back but not a huge step like the TF10 was. I usually don't like recessed mids but these weren't as bad as I thought they would be. I just used these to watch a movie and they seemed to work pretty well.

The biggest weakness imo is the cable. It is a bit short for me and I'm not even that tall but I do put my J3 in my pocket so it won't be an issue for those of you who put it in your shirt pocket or just carry your player in your hand. I was originally thinking about a SA1 cable but the SA6 cable doesn't look too bad. The way it goes over the ear is similar to how much customs does it but the cable is probably not as good. It's a shame they don't use the more popular UE or Westone socket. An ES cable would be a huge win for these.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 128

Quote:
I think most people do the mod for the treble harshness. My ears can handle just about any kind of treble harshness and I only got it on a select few tracks. I did it more for the mids which I felt was a step back but not a huge step like the TF10 was. I usually don't like recessed mids but these weren't as bad as I thought they would be. I just used these to watch a movie and they seemed to work pretty well.

The biggest weakness imo is the cable. It is a bit short for me and I'm not even that tall but I do put my J3 in my pocket so it won't be an issue for those of you who put it in your shirt pocket or just carry your player in your hand. I was originally thinking about a SA1 cable but the SA6 cable doesn't look too bad. The way it goes over the ear is similar to how much customs does it but the cable is probably not as good. It's a shame they don't use the more popular UE or Westone socket. An ES cable would be a huge win for these.

Yeah, since I've gotten the SA6 cables I haven't looked back. The stock cables just made the actual earphones to uncomfortable for me and I couldn't get a perfect fit. Problem solved with the Sleek cable. And of course, call it psychoacoustics, but the IEMs sound better to me with the Sleek cable. Maybe it is because I am getting a better seal. Whatever the reason, I am happy with it. I have stored the stock cable away.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 128
It's a shame about the cable from a fashion perspective too. The stock ones are mighty pretty, with the brushed metal accents and all =P I think this IEM finds a really nice balance between flashy and subtle design. It catches your eye, especially with stock cables, but not like say, some of the monster IEMs =P

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 128
Is there any online shop which has SA6 cable for less than $20? It's OOS at Amazon and all I could find was Sleek Audio's store, where it's $25.

@rawrster,

How is it compared to DBA-02?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back