Panasonic HTF600 Headphone Upgrade $250 budget
Nov 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

soundisee

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own Panasonic HTF600's with Beyerdynamic valor pads and I feel it's time for an upgrade. I currently have them plugged into a Mbox 2 music interface and I don't think they are bad for the price but I get an annoying rattle buzzing sound with certain sounds especially bass. When I'm not using headphones I use my Mackie MR5 reference studio speakers.

That being said I'm looking for a new pair with a $250 budget, this can also include buying a headphone amp such as the fiio or whatever is recommended.

I mainly use my headphones for listening to music, games, and use them for recording music. I mainly listen to Electronic, Indie, Ambient, and some Rap and Rock here and there Examples: (Tycho, M83, Amtrac, Little Dragon, Daft Punk, Cut Copy, Washed Out, Toro Y Moi). I do find bass important but I also don't want it to be overkill. Another important thing is comfort, I'm also willing to rip off my valor pads if needed.

I've been doing some reading on the Beyerdynamic DT770 and 880, what do you guys recommend?

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 7
Reading some reviews on the DT770 some people are reporting that the right speaker is known to break and that the durability of the headphone is poor, is this common? What about on the DT880?

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Reading some reviews on the DT770 some people are reporting that the right speaker is known to break and that the durability of the headphone is poor, is this common? What about on the DT880?

That's weird. The DT series by Beyer are some of the best headphones for the cost in my opinion. Some of the best durability. Pretty much the most comfortable, it's legendary. And breaking of a specific driver? No way. Never even heard of that. Maybe an isolated incident for some poor fool. But for the thousands of others with Beyers, you're not seeing constant reports of problems. Beyer makes very good headphones from build quality to sound quality.

The DT770 would be an excellent upgrade for your coming from the HTF600.
The DT880 would be even more ideal if you want a better sound stage.

Other headphones to explore:

AudioTechnica A900X
AKG K167
Denon D2000 (used)

Very best,

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

I own seven Beyers, two of them DT770, all seven work well and I'm kind of rough on them all.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for your replies!

What do you mean by better sound stage on the DT880's? Also, would you recommend that I buy an amp like the Fiio 10 or will I be fine using my Mbox 2? Which Ohms should I be looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back