Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Nov 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #871 of 920
My SA6's died a few months ago and I haven't yet found a replacement other than $30 through Sleek.  If anyone knows a place, please post.  I'd love to replace them, as I liked wearing them over my ears.  The original cables can be worn that way but not very well.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #873 of 920
I felt inspired to drop a few lines tonight. I've had these guys for such a long time and they were one of my first IEM i drooled over before owning it. Over the years, the left ear piece has developed a intermitten short. So for years they've been sitting in a drawer as to not get any worse. Despite the short, they still work perfectly a vast majority of the time. Anyways, tonight i Decided to dig out my HJE's and do some general listening and compare them to my gr07be, i wanted to see how similar they sounded, while there was no clear winner, it has been a LONG time since i have listened to them and boy do they still impress! These guys are one of my most prized possessions in my collection.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #874 of 920
Just curious to what current or previous HJE900 users are using now...

They are still my favorite, but looking for a little more bass. I tried the Senn Momentum On Ear and Urbanite On Ear, but no go. Also tried lower budget Audio-Technica ATHCLR100 and Soundmagic E10, which the bass is good, but not the clarity of the mids and highs. 

I dont' mind if On Ear or IEM, but no Over the Ear. Price range from $1 - $300.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #875 of 920
My current #1 in ear is the Aurisonic Rockets. They do better in vocals, but are less fun. But in terms of technicality are superior. So it's a give and take. But overall they are a fine (and durable) IEM.I still miss the sound of my HJE900s though :frowning2:

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #876 of 920
I too own the ATH CLR100. I actually quite like its sounds signature. For a cheap-o, its quite coherent.

I would say the gr07be that i have does indeed have similar traits as tge hje900. More so than any of my other iems.

Another great sounding in ear is the audeo pfe series. They are the best implimentation of a single armature ive heard. Very effortless and natural sounding.

I, personally believe that the CZ housing is what makes the hje900 sound so good. So while there isnt any other CZ housed earphones in existence, I could suggest looking into the pioneer dje1500 or the sennheiser ie800 as they use ceramics and i would imagine might carry some similar traits.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #877 of 920
I don't think I've been emotionally involved with any other piece of kit like I have with the hje900.. I never should have sold them.  Right now I have the rha t10i, and they don't pull me in like the hje900s did.  

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #878 of 920
I also have the rha t10i. I would agree, while the build and ergonomics are superior, the sound is nowhere near as unique or engaging as the hje900. it has been several years since I first got the hje900, and too many iem's to remember, I still haven't found another to sound like they do. I think its mostly the upper mids or treble that give it that unique sound. so open sounding. Like you can get a real sense of "black space" if you follow me. It can be hot on some tracks, but It still delivers a smile when I give them a critical listening session. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #879 of 920
  Just curious to what current or previous HJE900 users are using now...

They are still my favorite, but looking for a little more bass. I tried the Senn Momentum On Ear and Urbanite On Ear, but no go. Also tried lower budget Audio-Technica ATHCLR100 and Soundmagic E10, which the bass is good, but not the clarity of the mids and highs. 

I dont' mind if On Ear or IEM, but no Over the Ear. Price range from $1 - $300.

I too own the ATH CLR100. I actually quite like its sounds signature. For a cheap-o, its quite coherent.

I would say the gr07be that i have does indeed have similar traits as tge hje900. More so than any of my other iems.

Another great sounding in ear is the audeo pfe series. They are the best implimentation of a single armature ive heard. Very effortless and natural sounding.

I, personally believe that the CZ housing is what makes the hje900 sound so good. So while there isnt any other CZ housed earphones in existence, I could suggest looking into the pioneer dje1500 or the sennheiser ie800 as they use ceramics and i would imagine might carry some similar traits.

I have moved onto the PFE 232's (had for $300 AUD). I also have the Yamaha EPH-100's (had for $80AUD).

My journey has taught me that connecting different IEMs to difference sources actually can matter sometimes. For example, the Yamaha EPH-100's that I own don't sound that great with my Cowon i9+, they are extremely hissy, the most hiss from any IEM I have owned. But they are very comfortable. But if i connect the EPH-100's to my Shozy Alien they are dead silent and absolutely sing! They are almost on par with the PFE 232's connected to this same source.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #880 of 920

I have moved onto the PFE 232's (had for $300 AUD). I also have the Yamaha EPH-100's (had for $80AUD).

My journey has taught me that connecting different IEMs to difference sources actually can matter sometimes. For example, the Yamaha EPH-100's that I own don't sound that great with my Cowon i9+, they are extremely hissy, the most hiss from any IEM I have owned. But they are very comfortable. But if i connect the EPH-100's to my Shozy Alien they are dead silent and absolutely sing! They are almost on par with the PFE 232's connected to this same source.

dannnnnggggg. thats cray, man

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #883 of 920
Very nice! I have both and can tell you youve made great choices. The Gr07BE is honestly the most consistantly reassuring and impressive earphone for a relatively balanced sound that really captures what this hobby is all about. Ive had mine for about a year now and they have been one of the only pairs ive ever owned that lived up to my expectations and the hype. I honestly cant say anything bad about the GR07. Even the build and design is very good to me. The barber shop striped cable is amazingly soft and plieable. I would even say its my fav. Cable. In fact, i just read a comparison between the Fidue A83($300 triple hybrid: two BA and one Dynamic) and the gr07be. The reviewer could hardly give any examples of direct improvent besides slightly better mids and more extended treble. Thats an accolade for sure!

The dunu 1k is a very recent purchase for me, but it was impressive out of the box. Very nice subbass! I percieve a slight V shape to it, but its a very very excellent sounding earphone!

Congrats on your purchases. Get excited! Cuz your in for a treat (or two)!

As not to post in the hje thread without a mention of such, i will add that neither of the earphones mentioned above scratch the hje900 itch that ive got! Perhaps i should just buy the white one off amazon....

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #884 of 920
People still remember this thread? 
etysmile.gif

HJE900 was my first serious earphone and blew my mind many times. unfortunately there were similarly affordable iems that were just on a completely different level, detail wise. But i'll always remember guitars on the HJE900... pretty special. 

I moved on to less v shaped sounds like radius ddm and vsonic vc1000, but I do own an ocharaku f4 kuro which reminds me of the hje sometimes (in both good and bad ways)

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #885 of 920
  People still remember this thread? 
etysmile.gif

HJE900 was my first serious earphone and blew my mind many times. unfortunately there were similarly affordable iems that were just on a completely different level, detail wise. But i'll always remember guitars on the HJE900... pretty special. 

I moved on to less v shaped sounds like radius ddm and vsonic vc1000, but I do own an ocharaku f4 kuro which reminds me of the hje sometimes (in both good and bad ways)

Ha, I've never thought of this before, but you're right the Ocharaku Flat-4 sound is somewhat reminiscent of the HJE900! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back