Pairing with sub woofer
Oct 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cjp85

New Head-Fier
How would something go about pairing something like this with a sub woofer? Is it even worth or the right thing to do?

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-m200mkiii/products_id/121

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 8
You could have a sub which accepts line level in and has line level out? Source to sub line in, set crossover freq then sub line out to RCA in of active monitors 
L3000.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Am I being dense or is it pretty difficult to find a sub that does that? Most subs I have been looking at don't have one RCA line out, they are always split to left and right.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 8
If you want to use a subwoofer you want to cut off the desired frequencies from your monitors. Otherwise you'll get phase interference which will make your bass sound unbalanced. With these Swan's the bass roll-off is pretty steep however, making the effect less noticable but if I were you I wouldn't get a subwoofer unless you figure out how to cut off the monitors.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 8
Or, you could just buy an SVS subwoofer and call it a day.

http://svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm

I've never heard one of their box subwoofers, but if they're half as good as their cylinder subs, you'll be very, very happy. Not to mention the excellent input/output options and actually functional and useful crossover and phase controls. Yes, I acknowledge that I am recommending a subwoofer that is twice the price of your actual speakers, however, this subwoofer will last you forever and has enough power to be used anywhere...ie if you upgrade to a large speaker setup down the road, this will still be useful. Also, the Daytons are a lot more pricey than they used to be. You can spend more on a Dayton than on the SVS at this point, and they don't even come assembled! I haven't heard a Dayton, but the likelihood of it being as good as the SVS...I can't say, but SVS has a very good reputation and after hearing some of their products, I'm rather sold on their quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back