Pairing notes: Cavalli LL, Woo WA-5 w/ WEE, First Watt F1, HE6, Jade, Stax SR-007 mk I, SR-009, SR-507, Lambda Nova Sig.
Jul 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #16 of 38
I just took a really deep breath about the LL........................

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #21 of 38
Maybe he's listening to textbooks on audio through his Stax
eek.gif

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #24 of 38
I would be interested in this comparison as well. I know SillySally has the SRM-727 and a 009, but don't know whether a LL has made it all the way to him.

Quote:
Has anyone here been able to compare the SR-009's performance with the LL and with the SRM-727II?

And If not, is anyone planning to?

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #25 of 38
I'll add (just for the heck of it)...

SR-007 Mk1 + Cary SLI-80 w/ Woo WEE

Triode mode - On the border between relaxed and too warm, not a great combination for faster material but brilliant with soft jazz, blues, and classical piano. Softer bass but full, fluid mids. The soundstage is close, more intimate, and there's a minor loss of detail in the highs, but as a consolation there's not even a hint of sibilance or harshness. This is pure ear candy without being syrupy.

Direct Linear (Pentode) mode - Lively and somewhat aggressive, bring on the hard rock and EDM. If electrostats could get angry, this is what they'd sound like. The detail is back, but along with it is some harshness. If you watch the volume, however, complex classical and acoustic pieces are a real treat. There's a wider soundstage and sharper imaging, with a slight electric shimmer, like the feeling in the air during a thunderstorm.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 38
Great comparison fellas! Very good info. Thanks for sharing.

Jul 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #27 of 38
Sorry if this might be out of topic.

I wish I could have attended the meet. I just got delivery of my SR-009 , the seller had a WEE in the box as he bought the set together, he never got to open it. Currently using an SRM-323s with the 007mk1 and the 009, but feel the 007 sound better. I do not know how to describe it, IME the sound is a bit fautiguing.  Since I only bought the Stax,  I am returning the WEE, but would like to know if a Decware Taboo (arriving next week) might pair better with the 009. (WEE+Taboo+009)  The Taboo is intended for use with a CSP2+ and LCD2. While waiting on the Taboo I tried the Stax and fell in love.

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #28 of 38
It's probably a combination of the source, music you listen to and listening level rather than the amp (if anything the 323S make the 009 sound more mellow ime). I strongly suspect the music is the biggest culprit (what is sounding fatiguing)? If everything sounds edgy, I would look at the source next or simply run away from the 009 (it's not always a good thing to buy a highly resolving transducer).

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:
(what is sounding fatiguing)? If everything sounds edgy

Having gone through the Describing Sound a Glossary page   my experience is that the sound is a bit forward , and steely sounding , hence the fatigue.  It isn't the case for everything though , I agree that it may be the source (Bifrost) and now that you mentioned it  - music - especially with female vocals.   I don't  think it would be wise to run away from a gift , especially one from my wife
bigsmile_face.gif
 .  Thank you, Arnaud, for your inputs.

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #30 of 38
The LL + SR009 combo is starting to grow on me. The phones just seem to disappear soon as the music starts to play. THe only way you know you are listening to headphones is cause of the pads pressing up against your cheeks. This is not the case with the SR007, i haven't ever heard it do a disappearing act like the 009. I still favor the 007 presentation a little more than the SR009. But when you are running through some fine recording material, you know you are witnessing something special with the 009s.

The delicacy conveyed with the immediacy, yet firm and heavy handed when the material calls for it. Its tantalizing i tell you! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back