PA2V2 Synergy with Grado SR-60's?
Jun 6, 2007 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sharkz

500+ Head-Fier
I just got a pair of Grado SR-60's and love them. They sound fantastic, however I have heard that amping them can make them sound a lot better. I use them from my Zen Vision:M and Dell Inspirion laptop. My question is this: is it worth amping them, will it make them sound that much better? I was looking around $50 and saw some things that said that they sound pretty nice with a PA2V2 (along with the fact that there are hundreds of Grado/PA2V2 pictures on the Electric Avenues site). Any other $50 amps worth considering that make them sound better too?

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 9
They probably gain a little in sound quality, but they are pretty low impedance so they don't require a ton of power. I even use my SR225 from my MP3 player unamped at times and I have a PA2V2. An amp is not really required w/ the SR60's. Though it will probably make them sounds better. $50 better, maybe, maybe not?

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair of Grado SR-60's and love them. They sound fantastic, however I have heard that amping them can make them sound a lot better. I use them from my Zen Vision:M and Dell Inspirion laptop. My question is this: is it worth amping them, will it make them sound that much better? I was looking around $50 and saw some things that said that they sound pretty nice with a PA2V2 (along with the fact that there are hundreds of Grado/PA2V2 pictures on the Electric Avenues site). Any other $50 amps worth considering that make them sound better too?

I'm in the same position. Probably going to pull the trigger tonight.

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 9
I had the very combo you are describing. While I would not call the difference astonishing, I felt the main improvement of amping the SR60s with the PA2V2 was it improved the bass by making it a little faster. I also liked having more headroom than the headphone jack on my iPod offered on recordings that had a wide dynamic range. It was my first headphone amp, and at its price it is low risk.

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the replies guys. This is what I was hoping / expecting to hear. Now I just have to step up to the plate and pony up the cash for the PA2V2. Theoretically this should help make the KSC-75's I own sound better too, correct?

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Yes all headphones will benefit from an amp.

Jun 6, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 9
it works great the etymotic phones too!

it will not be the best amp for darker sounding phones... but for grado and ety it's wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back