P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .
Dec 13, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #331 of 561

Quote:
Search e-bay for ''soic to dip'' adapters on e-bay.

OPA627BP are expensive and there are better chips out there costing a lot less. Most are listed in this thread.... I'm off to work now so don't have time to list now but will do later if you wish.

I find OPA627 to be nothing fantastic but it works generally well with everything thrown at it. You will never get listening fatigue with it onboard but you will also not be able to get that kind of excitement that makes you wanna get up of your seat and dance.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #332 of 561
Some opamps that work well in the P4 are THS4032, ISL55002, LT1355, LT1678 AD8599, OPA2209, OPA1642, OPA1612 just to name a few. All of these are less expensive than the OP627/637.

iBasso has also included a very nice selection in the P4 rolling kit.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #333 of 561
Forget RMAF - we need to get Ron and Spudley in a room to talk us through every conceivable combination of opamps/buffers, following by an afternoon prac session and extensive DBT. I'd love to put the P4 up against some of its more fancied single-ended opposition.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #334 of 561

Quote:
Forget RMAF - we need to get Ron and Spudley in a room to talk us through every conceivable combination of opamps/buffers, following by an afternoon prac session and extensive DBT. I'd love to put the P4 up against some of its more fancied single-ended opposition.

Not to forget the most important thing - the supply of all the opamps.

We can forget about Ron abd Spudley. Just leave all the opamps/buffers there and it will be good enough
bigsmile_face.gif

jk.

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #337 of 561

That adapter would fit and probably work OK, but the price is "too good to be true" as the cost from most suppliers is about $24 EACH for the OPA627AP. The adapter, sockets, resistors and labor to assemble would add yet more to the cost. Perhaps the opamps are counterfeit rather than authentic Burr-Brown??

I would want proof of authenticity before ordering.

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #338 of 561
x2

I'm with Ron on this, there are a lot of fakes around unfortunately. I learned the hard way in the early days and unless I am 110% sure I generally buy from trusted sources like Farnell, Digikey, Mouser or RS. Of course I do get a few samples from source also
biggrin.gif

The old saying still stands - If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is...... My advice would be to buy from a genuine source and do the mod yourself.

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #339 of 561
Actually that guy is one of the seller of the Matrix M-Stage headamp. Quite well-known though. He modded that opamp specially for the M-Stage V2.

I got my Dual OPA627 from Vintage Audio Lab. Cost me about the same amount as this one.

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #340 of 561

Quote:
Some opamps that work well in the P4 are THS4032, ISL55002, LT1355, LT1678 AD8599, OPA2209, OPA1642, OPA1612 just to name a few. All of these are less expensive than the OP627/637.
iBasso has also included a very nice selection in the P4 rolling kit.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I presume these are all for the L/R sockets.....

In your experience (you seem to have more than most users), which of these are the best for soundstag and dynamics?

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #344 of 561
Source is my sansa fuze with custom lod, i think there's decent caps inside paid enough for the thing.

And i run 320kbps or flac where i can.I do have lower bitrates but that tends to be edm, so not really vital there as the dj's tend to mix things up anyway, if you get what i mean.

And yeah i know the e7 is a dac/amp but it's the only portable amp i have atm, i went for the warbler because it represents such good value, from what i've read it holds it's own with more expensive models.

Aah, you're the guy who put a drillbit through his p4, that must have been rather gutting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back