Overhyped and should be avoided!
Jun 26, 2007 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
Way to many times have a checked out an album because either my friends or people on the net have told me "this album is amazing!", "the greatest album ever!" "this album life changing!" or my favorite "your collection isn't complete without this!". I rip the album for my iPod, go to a nice quite spot in the park and get ready for a "life changing moment" that never happens.

So I've decided not to listen to any album that has been hyped up, because I have never heard any album that lives up to the hype. I find that hyped up albums are usually "The Greats". 90% of "The Greats" are constantly regurgitated, average at best, albums or artist. It just semi good Pop music from the past. If the internet was around back then we'd see a whole different list of "The Greats". Sure some artist seriously deserve to be on that list, but 90% of those are just yesterdays R. Kellys, Mariah Careys and Nirvanas. Not bad artist , but there were people putting out much better music at the time. Those guys just got the press and the airtime. That makes them "Great". Of course if you don't agree that "The Greats" are great then you don't appreciate music.

The second category of hyped up albums is the new artist on the scene that's "different" and if you don't like the music then you're one of those people that "just don't get it" . Who wants to be one of those people who "just doesn't get it"? So then everyone "gets it"! And when any conversation about music comes up the people who "get it" have to mention that album or artist because it makes them appear like they know a lot about music. In reality they hardly ever play that album unless others are around, because they really don't "get it" or even like it.

So now when any one tells me to check out "insert album here" because "this album is amazing!", "it's the greatest album ever!" "this album life changing!" or "your collection isn't complete without this!" then I just pass on it because 9 times out of 10 it's either one of the so called "Greats" or an album that "I just won't get". I like sincere recommendations and not regurgitated garbage from the masses. Especially from indie music lovers, they are becoming worse than the MTV crowd. I swear there's a list that indie lovers read off of every time someone ask for recommendations, with a few alternates just to spice things up a bit.

This post defiantly qualifies as a rant!
tongue.gif

Disclaimer: I'm not shunning music because of it's popularity. Hype to me is someone who's musical opinion I respect comes up to me using one of the key phrases I stated above. It's my personal experience (meaning that this is what I have actually experienced) that albums accompanied by those phrases usually are crap and fit into one of the categories above. Sometimes music lovers (those whose opinions I respect) get caught up with what the masses (those who just listen to music occasionally and will think anything different is the second coming of Christ) are raving about and they get the "well everyone loves it so I should to" mentality. Good music never has to be hyped up. It speaks for itself. To me those phrases are trying to sell music that has no chance even living up to a "hey this is good, check em out". When someone comes up to me using those phrases I feel sorry for them because they are obviously not only hyping me but their selves as well.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 78
I think its partly your expectations. You can't put on a cd and say 'This Will Change My Life." In fact, most great music doesnt work that way. I can think of a few occasions where music hits me immediately, but often it takes awhile.

One example that is constantly mentioned as a GREAT album is Wilco's 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.' Alot of people who I know and respect kept raving about its brilliance. I listened to it once or twice and put it away, unimpressed. Picked it back a few weeks later with the same results. And then again. But somewhere in my 15th or so listen it started clicking. Now, I do not hesitate to say it is easily one of the top ten albums of the last decade.

Just because you don't get the music does not make it overhyped. Of course people do pretend to like music to sound cool, but that has no reflection on the quality of music. I think Frank Zappa is a good example of that. Many people like him because he is weird, and they tell people they like him, but they never ever actually listen to him. Does that mean he is overhyped? Maybe. But he is still completely brilliant.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 78
I think the phrase "top <insert number> of the past <insert period>" is a overly used cliche to tell people that I really really like what I am hearing. Pick ten different who listens to different genres and have different taste in music and the list of "top tens" will be very different.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 78
I think Digital makes some good points. There is a certain meme that takes root when the current alt press raves about anything - sucking people in who wish to sound hip and taste makers.

But to me, it's more a phenomenon of inexperience and youth. Most people I know who listen to a-lot of music grow their own set of filters - aware of which praise to follow and which to ignore according to their taste.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 78
Taste in music is as personal as taste in food. The masses love pizza and beer. The masses love Nirvana, U2, and Madonna. As individuals we somtimes contribute to or participate with the mass movements and/or trends. Mostly though, each of us has our own little set of preferences that define who we are.

So if someone enthusiastically shares one of their preferences with you...that's all it is, one of THEIR preferences. Maybe you will discover some overlap in the preferences of others with those that you hold dear. It isn't realistic to assume that just because someone else is passionate about something that you will be also. It is important to know yourself well and not be surprised that each of us, although similar in many ways, is quite unique.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 78
I think a lot of it has to do with the age of the listener, type of music, being hip and peer pressure.

Keep in mind that for the majority of music being played across the airwaves, 80% or more of the commercial success is based on marketing/hype and not necessarily how great a record is (defining a “great” record would be a whole other topic). Most program directors don’t understand what good music is. Most define a good song based on whether it grabs the listener within the first 10-15 seconds and if it doesn’t it gets casted aside. Some bands have marketing appeal and regardless of how good a release is it can be hyped and forcefed to the public with relatively great sales numbers. Sting hasn't put a decent record out since "Ten Summoner's Tales" but he's still huge and has marketing appeal. Payola is a another factor. But is seems there’s no patience out there these days for newer bands trying to make it. It’s the flavor of the day, what have you done for me lately mentality. One strike and you are out doesn’t mean the talent bar has been raised. Quite the contrary. Sadly, in today’s music industry an up and coming Bruce Springsteen would never make it because there wouldn’t be enough patience to wait for a breakthrough record “Born To Run”. He’s be working in a machine shop instead because that debut record was no great shakes. Now I’m not saying there aren’t great bands artists out there today. There are but many other’s dreams have been washed away because they didn’t fit into a niche. Despite the blockbuster ratings American Idol represents everything that is wrong with the music industry (even though it’s only “pop”).

Virtually none of the music I listen to is played on radio. I need to find it myself and sometimes through message boards with people of the same tastes. When I do come across something it is awesome to be completely blindsided by a cd that you had little preconceived notions about. If I could give any advice it would be to stay away from the commercial stuff and try to think for yourself a little more.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by LonerGenius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taste in music is as personal as taste in food. The masses love pizza and beer. The masses love Nirvana, U2, and Madonna. As individuals we somtimes contribute to or participate with the mass movements and/or trends. Mostly though, each of us has our own little set of preferences that define who we are.

So if someone enthusiastically shares one of their preferences with you...that's all it is, one of THEIR preferences. Maybe you will discover some overlap in the preferences of others with those that you hold dear. It isn't realistic to assume that just because someone else is passionate about something that you will be also. It is important to know yourself well and not be surprised that each of us, although similar in many ways, is quite unique.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well said. I've found that even within my group of friends where we all listen to the same style of music, a lot of the music that I bring over to show them doesnt really click with them. Most of this music I've had at my house and had the opportunity to listen to multiple times so I "get it". I bring it over all excited to show them expecting them to love it right away when thats not the case. We're all different and we're all affected by music differently.

It's odd though, just about all of my favorite bands I discovered on my own without any personal reccomendations from friends or anybody in person. Most bands that are recommended to me in person or by people I know, I like less/care less about/get less into than stuff I've found on my own and spent personal time with. Just an interesting obvservation... maybe people are weird like that when it comes to music. Perhaps the majority of us like having "our" bands as opposed to somebody elses...

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 78
IMO if you have to work at an album (playing it over and over) just to like it, then it's not a good album. You've just gotten used to it. I agree there are albums that you have to listen to a few times to grasp the brilliance of them. None of my favorite albums I loved right away. I thought they sounded good. A few listens later and I'd get knocked off my socks. But I'm not going to listen to an album I feel is crappy album over and over to find brilliance in it just because a bunch of people say so.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree there are albums that you have to listen to a few times to grasp the brilliance of them. None of my favorite albums I loved right away. I thought they sounded good. A few listens later and I'd get knocked off my socks.

For example?
Just curious.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by BDub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For example?
Just curious.

Bonobo - Dial 'M' for Monkey
Cage - Hell's Winter
The Herbaliser - Very Mercenary
Jaga Jazzist - A Living Room Hush
My Brightest Diamond - Bring Me The Workhorse

Those are all albums I thought sounded good on the first few listens but didn't view them as anything special. These albums are constantly in rotation now. Funny thing is, like Cousin Patty mentioned, my favorite album and artist are ones I found myself.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 78
Two biggest hyped albums I tried?

Artic Monkeys. Liked that "Mardy Bum" song, that's about it.

Arcade Fire - Funeral. Now THIS was worth the hype. Just awesome and one of my faves. Badly recorded tho I think that was intentional lo-fi action.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 78
Quote:

IMO if you have to work at an album (playing it over and over) just to like it, then it's not a good album. You've just gotten used to it.

Not at all true. Sometimes a person grows as much as the album does, and only then does it have an effect. There have been too many amazing artists and albums that I have disliked at first (through tenth) listen for me to agree with a statement like yours.

Great art is often difficult to understand at first.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One example that is constantly mentioned as a GREAT album is Wilco's 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.' Alot of people who I know and respect kept raving about its brilliance. I listened to it once or twice and put it away, unimpressed. Picked it back a few weeks later with the same results. And then again. But somewhere in my 15th or so listen it started clicking. Now, I do not hesitate to say it is easily one of the top ten albums of the last decade.

X2 on the Wilco.
I didn't like it at first, but after a couple tries I became a huge fan. Most Wilco albums are like that.
Now they are my favorite band.
TR

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

So now when any one tells me to check out "insert album here" because "this album is amazing!", "it's the greatest album ever!" "this album life changing!" or "your collection isn't complete without this!" then I just pass on it because 9 times out of 10 it's either one of the so called "Greats" or an album that "I just won't get". I like sincere recommendations and not regurgitated garbage from the masses. Especially from indie music lovers, they are becoming worse than the MTV crowd. I swear there's a list that indie lovers read off of every time someone ask for recommendations, with a few alternates just to spice things up a bit.

I find your line of reasoning to be fairly puzzling. It's good that you want sincere album suggestions. But, why should you exclude such a suggestion on the basis that the album also happens to be very popular or considered groundbreaking within a certain niche? Maybe Nirvana isn't the greatest rock band ever, but how do you know if you like their music until you have heard it? It is no less likely that will like Nirvana than you liking some random band some random person suggests... In truth, it is probably more likely since the overhyped artists get hyped for a reason in the first place. And that applies also to the underground/indie/local artists who end up generating a large following... their following exists for a reason so there must be something to it.

Perhaps the problem here is the concept of "essential" albums. Such albums are "essential" to understanding the development of a genre and the culture surrounding it. That does not mean every fan of the genre will enjoy said album, as such tastes are so personal. But still, if you are going to dole out cash on an unheard album based on someone's recommendation, I'm guessing your odds of getting one you like are as good or better with the so called "essentials" than with something that is only liked by this one person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back