Overall Best SQ for Portable Player?
Jun 17, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #48 of 59
hifiman players have too many UI issues to call it a great player. the uI and LCD look like its from 1995.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #49 of 59
The players crappy rolloff make the hifiman poop as well,...it's just loud as all heck.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #50 of 59
Quote:
hifiman players have too many UI issues to call it a great player. the uI and LCD look like its from 1995.

It's not a player that places a priority on a complex UI. The UI is simple and straight to the point. Sound quality is the HM-801's main strength and I feel that it beats out any other portable player on the market today in this category.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #51 of 59
Considering mainstream DAPs/Phones, the Iphone 4 is the best I've heard. Clip+ also does really well if you are using multi BAs. J3 is solid, but it's overhyped. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #53 of 59

Quote:
Quote:
It's not a player that places a priority on a complex UI. The UI is simple and straight to the point. Sound quality is the HM-801's main strength and I feel that it beats out any other portable player on the market today in this category.

You seem happy enough lugging a brick around with you while on your travels.

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #54 of 59
Quote:
You seem happy enough lugging a brick around with you while on your travels.

I prefer to carry around something that is smaller. But, unfortunately something smaller will simply not even be able to compare to the sound quality of the HM-801. The sound quality more than compensates for the HM-801's hefty size.

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #56 of 59
Quote:
Quite how a HM-801 qualifies as a portable player is a mystery to me, but each to there own.

Portable
capable of being transported or conveyed: a portable stage.
2. easily carried or conveyed by hand: a portable typewriter.

3. Computers . (of data sets, software, etc.) capable of being used on different computer systems.

Player
1. a person or thing that plays.
2. a person who takes part or is skilled in some game or sport.

3. a person who plays parts on the stage; an actor.

The HM-801 fits the definition for both words.
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #57 of 59

Quote:
My Ipods have always sounded warmer than my Cowon S9/J3 when flat. It is very slight though. Who uses a Cowon flat though?

I am using flat in J3, never a big fan of eq. After spending ton of times for setting up eq, I still could not find any setting would reproduce a natural sound I pursue for, especially after turning on BEE. For me, non- eq is the best.

Seriously, sansa clips+ is quite underrated here.  J3 is just slighter better than clips+( both non eq, WAV format only)

Besides, in terms of vocal alone, SFLO2 really shines. If you factor in any player needs amp to drive, IMOD is still king of portable player

My rating of portable player i owned, IMOD> KenwoodB9>SFLO2> Sony M10>J3 >Clips+> hm 601 (over warm + treble roll off hurt too much, technically it is better than clip+ ) >SonyX series

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #58 of 59

Quote:
I am using flat in J3, never a big fan of eq. After spending ton of times for setting up eq, I still could not find any setting would reproduce a natural sound I pursue for, especially after turning on BEE. For me, non- eq is the best.

Seriously, sansa clips+ is quite underrated here.  J3 is just slighter better than clips+( both non eq, WAV format only)

Besides, in terms of vocal alone, SFLO2 really shines. If you factor in any player needs amp to drive, IMOD is still king of portable player

My rating of portable player i owned, IMOD> KenwoodB9>SFLO2> Sony M10>J3 >Clips+> hm 601 (over warm + treble roll off hurt too much, technically it is better than clip+ ) >SonyX series

What I found was using the parametric EQ on the J3 in addition to the BBE allows it to sound more natural. Try increasing the level of BBE and then increase the midrange frequencies on the parametric EQ to compensate for the reduction of midrange when using BBE.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #59 of 59

Quote:
My Ipods have always sounded warmer than my Cowon S9/J3 when flat. It is very slight though. Who uses a Cowon flat though?

Not me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back