Outlaw 970 as a Headphone Amp: Awesome!!!
Mar 19, 2011 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

walfredo

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I recently updated my speaker rig from 2.1 to 5.1 and got an Outlaw 970 as preprocessor.  It does work nicely in this function, but the nice surprise is that it is also an awesome DAC + headphone amp.

It is very clear and defined, yet beautifully musical.  Wonderful soundstage.  Pure joy to listen to!!

It is actually better than any of my dedicated headphone amps, and those are Nuforce HPD, Doge 6210, Shanling PH3000, Audio GD Compass.  (Of course, "better" is not a uni-dimensional concept in audio.  In particular, my tube amplifiers have a different "soul".  Yet, while not better in all dimensions, the Outlaw is better overall.)

Since it sells for between $200 and $300 in ebay and audiogon, I thought I'd share the news.  At this price, it is very hard to beat... and you still get a preprocessor... alas without HDMI, but nothing is perfect. :)

BTW, if you know of another full system that excels as a headphone amp, please add to this thread.  It can be quite an interesting and cost effective alternative.

[]s
Walfredo

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 4
Looks like you've discovered something some of us (but not all) already knew: that there are many alternatives to dedicated HP amps and some are the equal of even the best. Congratulations.

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
BTW, if you know of another full system that excels as a headphone amp, please add to this thread.  It can be quite an interesting and cost effective alternative.

In my study, I have an Onkyo 506 fed with a Squeezebox (analog connectors).  The Squeezebox has Burr-Brown DACs in it.  It provides a pretty good sound-stage for the very short time I've listened to headphones through it.  Normally, this receiver and Squeezebox are used to power my ceiling speakers in the family room for ambient sound.  However, I'll soon get a good headphone extension cable so I can use it as a source when I'm working at the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back