Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Feb 15, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #647 of 1,284
  Hi,

i posted this earlier, but seems it was overlooked.

Using the Gaming profile (free trial) I noticed that the Lsb and Rsb channels are subjectively significantly louder than the rest of the channels when set to same levels and tested using the play button in the program. I had to lower their levels by 14dB compared to others to get subjectively the same loudness. I first noticed this in the game where things behind me sounded louder than in front of me.
Could this be a specific problem in my setup or are others noticing this as well? I didn't notice this problem with other presets.

Also, is there a way to lunch the OOYH process with high priority by default? I wanted to use an argument in the desktop shortcut, but its not a typical shortcut and I can't edit it.

If I buy the gamer license now, will I be able to transfer it to a new PC later?

Thanks for your help.

Hi @laserjet6 
Sorry about missing your earlier post. 

Yes, on some of the presets, the Lsb and Rsb channels can be higher than the others. But you can adjust the levels in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel. The levels you set will be saved. Due to the way the measurements are done and the speaker configuration in the room where we did the measurements, the relative levels of each of the speakers may vary. 

For higher priority launching, you can create your own shortcut with custom settings.
See this web page:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40287-cpu-priority-shortcut-program-create-windows.html

You would use the command:
Code:
 cmd.exe /c start "Out Of Your Head" /high "C:\Program Files (x86)\Darin Fong Audio\Out Of Your Head\Out_Of_Your_Head.exe"

If you purchase a license for your current computer but upgrade to a different PC later, just e-mail us with your new UUID value and we can issue a new license for your new computer and de-activate the old license.

-Darin

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #648 of 1,284
  Hey darin,

I was finally able to get the software to work. All that trouble was due to OOYH not being in 32bit mode, in windows.

Glad you got it working. 
I should disable the 24-bit setting. It used to work in the non-low latency version.
Now I just have to remember how to disable/remove that option from the device properties...

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #650 of 1,284
  Anyone else tried a pair of AKG K1000s on OOYH? They are designed to be worn well away from the head so are already partially creating the illusion of listening to speakers

Along the same lines, has anyone tried OOYH with the Abyss. 

Theoretically, OOYH, should not necessarily work better with headphones that attempt to image like speakers. However, I think OOYH (and Smyth) do bring the soundstage forward--in comparison to actual speakers. So, I suspect both the AKG1000 and Abyss will render a more convincing result. 

Can anyone verify this?

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #654 of 1,284
1. Hello, is there a way to increase the volume? It's kinda low. I'm using the Westone ES5 plugged into my laptop.
2. Can you use this app with Ak240?
3. Can you use it with iPod Classic 7th gen?

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #655 of 1,284
  1. Hello, is there a way to increase the volume? It's kinda low. I'm using the Westone ES5 plugged into my laptop.

Hi @Jedaite 
Thanks for posting.

1) To increase the volume, you can slide the input and output level sliders up in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel. They are not at full volume since many people experience clipping when playing movies or loud audio.
Just be aware that the levels are set separately for each speaker preset, so they will change when you change presets. But the settings are saved so they should move to the last place you left them for each preset.

Also, before you launch Out Of Your Head, make sure you have the volume level of your output device turned up. If the levels are set low for your DAC, then when you launch Out Of Your Head, the output volume of your DAC will stay at whatever level is was set to when you launched Out Of Your Head.

2) and 3) since Out Of Your Head currently runs on Windows or Mac OS X, you cannot run Out Of Your Head on any DAP's currently. We are still working on a solution for iOS and Android devices, but even then, I doubt an AK player will ever be supported unless AK licenses our technology. AK uses a proprietary OS on their players.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #656 of 1,284

This software intended to be used as output device by the player software on your laptop

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #658 of 1,284
Hi @dmbr
Thanks for the heads up.
I will try installing Razer and see if I can figure out what's happening.

I'll post anything I find in the other thread you started:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/796284/razer-surround-sound-permanently-prevents-proper-installs-of-other-surround-sound-programs

-Darin
Make any discoveries, Darin?

The fix mysteriously stopped working :frowning2: selecting the E1 DAC in the OOYH control panel now gives distorted audio, and selecting Razer Surround gives no sound.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #660 of 1,284
Make any discoveries, Darin?

The fix mysteriously stopped working
frown.gif
selecting the E1 DAC in the OOYH control panel now gives distorted audio, and selecting Razer Surround gives no sound.

Why would you want to use the Razer Surround sound together with the OOYH software? the OOYH is much better surround sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back