Out of Balance..... Help!
Jan 18, 2019 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Share2Care

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Peeps.

I am confused with myself and need some clarity on the basics of balanced components and cables.... And non balanced components and cables....

Say I bought an IEM MMCX balanced cable with a 3.5mm termination, if I just had a non balanced component such as a mobile phone as an example with a 3.5mm jack would the balanced IEM audio cable still work?

Would I need to change anything?

The same question can be reversed with a balanced source can be used with a non balanced headphone cable??

Please enlighten me as much as possible.

Cheers

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 3
Say I bought an IEM MMCX balanced cable with a 3.5mm termination, if I just had a non balanced component such as a mobile phone as an example with a 3.5mm jack would the balanced IEM audio cable still work?

Would I need to change anything?

You need an adapter plug for that, which can be bulky enough you might as well just have two different cables and use either as necessary.

The same question can be reversed with a balanced source can be used with a non balanced headphone cable??

For a few distorted and noisy seconds, then you can't use it with anything any more, since you just shorted the two supposedly separate L- and R-.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back