Out Hud
May 20, 2005 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Feanor

1000+ Head-Fier
I have the album S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D. from this band, and I am mightily enjoying listening to it, especially track 5, "The L Train Is a Swell Train and I Don't Want to Hear You Indies Complain". Any thoughts about them? The names might seem stupid, but this is nice (post ?) rock / indie music.
link

May 20, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 21
I have "Let Us Never Speak of It Again" and really enjoy it.
The music is fun and upbeat, which isn't something I usually enjoy.
Tough to describe, but a very enjoyable listen for sure.

May 20, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 21
STREET DAD is an absolute hands-down masterpiece. Totally brilliant album all the way through.

... which makes "Let Us Never Speak Of It Again" all the more disappointing. It's not a good album.
frown.gif

May 20, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
STREET DAD is an absolute hands-down masterpiece. Totally brilliant album all the way through.

... which makes "Let Us Never Speak Of It Again" all the more disappointing. It's not a good album.
frown.gif

frown.gif
... The comments of it having more disco elements where a bit off-putting, but I'll have to see for myself.

May 20, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

frown.gif

Try to listen to it a few more times. It's a pretty good album, maybe as good, and in a way, better than STREET DAD. But on the other hand, I listened to STREET DAD so much when it came out that I pretty need to give it a little rest before I can enjoy it again. I think Let Us Never Speak of it Again is one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

By the way, they put on a pretty good live show (saw them at the Bowery Ballroom a few weeks ago).

2nd by the way--STREET DAD is HORRIBLY mastered. While I think it's a great album, it should really be remasterd. Everything is so loud and it's pretty fatiguing to listen to--the bass is really pushing that 0DB level.

May 21, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 21
Better? No, I could never agree with that. "Let Us..." is not only more "disco" oriented, it's a much less complex and creative album. Whereas STREET DAD was imaginative, experimental, and eclectic while keeping a steady balance with post-punk-electro-techno influences, Let Us... pushes the envelope much further towards "disco-punk" and for the most part leaves the experimental bits to the wayside. Except for that amazing 11-minute track towards the end (something about George Bush I think?) that is as good as anything on STREET DAD.

May 21, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 21
I haven't had time to give their later release a chance, but it's also partly because I was put-off by lack-luster reviews of it.

Street Dad is fantastic though. I think it's a great example of how there's nothing wrong with doing a similar sound or feel for a whole album - as long as it's a good all the way through. The last track is one of my favs too...

The vinyl version is a little better on the frequency balance (mastering quality), but the actual (physical) pressing could still be better.

May 21, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Better? No, I could never agree with that. "Let Us..." is not only more "disco" oriented, it's a much less complex and creative album. Whereas STREET DAD was imaginative, experimental, and eclectic while keeping a steady balance with post-punk-electro-techno influences, Let Us... pushes the envelope much further towards "disco-punk" and for the most part leaves the experimental bits to the wayside. Except for that amazing 11-minute track towards the end (something about George Bush I think?) that is as good as anything on STREET DAD.

Who knows, maybe I just overdid STREET DAD, but I'm really liking Since I . . . I agree it's not really expiremental, but the CD is much more dynamic overall than STREET DAD and conveys (to me) a wider range of emotion, but I think STREET DAD certainly pushes the bounds of its influences much more.

[Edit--I haven't listened to STREET DAD in a while, I think I've detoxed from it enough to listen to it again. It may give me some joy since I'm stuck working on a Friday night].

May 21, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 21
[DOUBLE POST]

May 21, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade
but the CD is much more dynamic overall than STREET DAD and conveys (to me) a wider range of emotion

Whoa, man, you really haven't listened to STREET DAD in a while.
wink.gif

Give STREET DAD another good listen -- especially the "L Train" song, the long one that ends in a violin/guitar duet -- and then tell me tomorrow if you still think that STREET DAD is the less emotionally dynamic of the two. I bet you'll change your opinion.

May 23, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Whoa, man, you really haven't listened to STREET DAD in a while.
wink.gif

Give STREET DAD another good listen -- especially the "L Train" song, the long one that ends in a violin/guitar duet -- and then tell me tomorrow if you still think that STREET DAD is the less emotionally dynamic of the two. I bet you'll change your opinion.

OK I HATE being wrong. STREET DAD is definitely much better. But I still really like Let us Never . . . a lot.

Dec 8, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 21
a dead-head friend of mine down south randomly picked up S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D. at a little record shop. i was visiting him a few months ago and he threw it on, made me curious. of course, i quickly forgot about it.

finally got myself a copy and MAN, it's good! it's like Tortoise's punky little brother with a faux-hawk and an attitude.

Dec 9, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
I love both, but they sound like they came from different artists. And I have a lot more albums that sound like Never Let Us Speak of it Again than S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D.

I love Let Us Never Speak Of It Again! I found it unique, and I'm intrigued - what albums/artists do you have that sound like that?

Dec 9, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vosper
I love Let Us Never Speak Of It Again! I found it unique, and I'm intrigued - what albums/artists do you have that sound like that?

i've not heard Let Us..., but S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D. could be the 2nd cousin of any number of Thrill Jockey bands (Tortoise, Isotope 217, The Sea and Cake)...

if Let Us... is discotesque, as people have described it, i wouldn't be surprised if it were reminiscent of 5ive Style or Lambchop's funkier cuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back