OTL vs SET Amp for HD650
Jul 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

schaaf

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up some HD650's from Amazon and need an amp.

I know there are like six hundred and fifty billion threads about the HD650 and amps on here, and I think I've done a lot of digging and reading, but I keep getting confused about some things.

I'm looking to stay at or around 600 - So, WA3, WA6, Lyr, Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball. (factory built.)
(Is the Crack on par with the WA3/6? I hear it's a good value if you build it, but adding 200 to the price for them to build it with the speedball might make it too expensive for what you get?)

I've read that all of those sound pretty good with the 650's, what I'm confused about is the fact that some people say the 650's are just fine and sound good with the WA6 and Lyr, but that an OTL amp sounds better.

The difference in price is so slight I'm not even going to worry about it. So for the amount of money, which one makes more sense - the WA3 or the WA6?

Generally I assume (as do a lot of people, I think.) that the more money you spend, the better product you get. I know that's not always the case, but it seems to hold true with a lot of different amps. I think you can make the argument that the the WA6 is the better amp, but it might not be "synergistic" with the 650.

I listen to a lot of Dave Matthews Band, acoustic stuff, live stuff, some 'alternative' rock, electronic (air m83 daft punk).... pretty much everything except country. but 75% dave acoustic type stuff. 

Ive never had a tube amp before, so talking about tube sound or talking about numbers of different tubes isn't going to help, I just want a generalization of differences I might hear/miss going with one amp over another. 

I don't, at this point, have any plans to upgrade to more expensive/better headphones. I like the Senn sound. I could eventually move to an HD700, maybe an 800, but that will be years from now... Not any time soon, so the amp really only needs to work well with the 650s.

Thanks everyone-

S

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 27
Heya buddy, 

I'll let you know how the HD650 and Schiit Valhalla sound when my Senns come in later today.

:)

btw I listen to a lot of acoustic music too, so I'll try my best to analyze that for you. But I'm coming from the DT880s, so I'm not sure if I'll be bias or not to them.

From what I'm reading throughout the forums, the Beyers are going to be like Taylors, while the Senns are like Martins lol 

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 27
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618563/what-amps-have-you-got-your-eye-on/60#post_8543423
Quote:
Ha!

Do you have the "rollable" Valhalla?
I've heard the asgard so It would be nice to see how the Valhalla sounds.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 27
Interesting. I wonder how the perceived smaller soundstage would play out with the HD650, who, as far as I can tell - unamped - has a larger soundstage by far over the 555's I was used to listening to. I could only imagine the soundstage becoming larger with proper amping. 

Anyone have any experiences with either (or preferably both) of the Woo amps WA3 WA6?

Thoughts on OTL vs everything else?

S-

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 27
I also have the WA3!  We're beginning to compare apples to oranges here, but the Valhalla is a better amp than the WA3.  More refined sound, better micro detail, better mids, and better controlled bass.  The soundstage is about the same, though.

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder how the perceived smaller soundstage would play out with the HD650, who, as far as I can tell - unamped - has a larger soundstage by far over the 555's I was used to listening to. I could only imagine the soundstage becoming larger with proper amping. 

Anyone have any experiences with either (or preferably both) of the Woo amps WA3 WA6?

Thoughts on OTL vs everything else?

S-

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 27
Actually, I like the Asgard over the WA3.  The WA3 is a great amp, so don't get me wrong.  It's nice and warm, but clarity and control are not its strengths.  The Asgard is more in control, clear, yet very smooth and pleasing.

I have not heard the Lyr or the WA6.  The WA6 is leagues ahead of the WA3 as I've been told.
Quote:
But you still like the WA3 over the Asgard.

So it would go (your opinion) Valhalla > WA3 > Asgard?

Have you heard the Lyr or the WA6?

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 27
Oh, ok. I was just going off what you were talking about in the Woo Owners Unite thread, but that may have only applied to the HD600. 

I guess that's my main concern... People seem to always say that the HD650 sounds best with an OTL amp like the WA3, but it was also my understanding that people like the WA6 over the WA3. (or consider it in a higher class anyway.)

What I'm unclear on is whether the HD650 sounds better on the WA6 or the WA3 - because only the WA3 is OTL and should therefore sound better.... Right?

Uh Oh. 

Iv'e confused myself all over again... .

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 27
Based on how my HD600s sound on the WA3, I can't imagine I'd like the sound of the HD650 on the WA3.  The WA3 does lack clarity and focus, as well as bass control.  The highs are also rolled off.  The HD650 is laid back enough as it is, so with the WA3 driving it, I can't imagine that would be an optimal pairing.  The WA3 and the HD600 are a nice paring, but at times that even gets a little too relaxed and euphonic for me.

OTL amps really only become necessary with the 600 ohm headphones.  The 300 ohm Sennheisers still can be run beautifully from solid state amps, hybrid amps, and transformer-coupled tube amps.  They are sort of in that "tweener" range of impedance.

From my understanding, when it comes to the HD650, you want to run them off a neutral to even slightly bright amp.  The WA6, Asgard, Valhalla, O2, Auditor, Meier Corda family, and Benchmark are all great with the HD650.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 27
Ok. Great. That's helpful. Thanks!

I just came across a WA6 with Princess Sophia on the F/S forum for 700. Might have to go ahead and pick one up.
That is, until I convince myself to keep doing countless hours and days worth of research on amps.... 

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 27
Just read some comments that people are liking the Crack with speedball over the WA6 for the HD650s...

Anyone heard both and care to comment?

(They are technically in differing price brackets until you have the Crack factory built... then, they're about 50 bucks off... worth it?)

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 27
The Crack with Speedball is a fantastic amp.  I've never heard it, but I've not heard one bad thing about it, and trust me, I know all the bad things said about amps in these parts.

Edit: I would only consider the Crack for the HD650 if it had the Speedball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back