Other Cans Besides Audio Technica m50
Jun 24, 2010 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JosephKim

1000+ Head-Fier
Head-Fi,

Some of you may have read my other post asking where the place was to buy the ATH m50s. I think I am going to take the leap, but before I do I want to ask if there are other cans that might beat the quality of the m50s in a similar price range. I have also read that comfort might be an issue with the m50s, so I would also like to know if other cans are more comfortable. Thank you.

Joseph Kim

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 5
IMO there are no cans in the price range that sound like the ATH-M50's. What you can do if you want to is go up to your music store(Guitar Center here) and sample the headphones in your pricerange and then decide. 

Comfort- If you do not wear the headphones for over 3 hours then you should not have a problem.I moved from Skullcandys(CRAP) and the comfort difference was a lot different, the ATH-M50's exceled. You might look at the Shure 840's but I thought they were too heavy

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Personally, I consider Shure's SRH840 and SRH750 to be solid upgrades over the M50. The SRH840 is a bit more neutral and requires a good source and amp to sound great. The SRH750 is more colored, but not overly so, and is easier to drive out of weak sources, like portable players or cheap PC onboard soundcards. I also recommend checking out Fischer Audio FA-003, if you can afford those.

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 5
If you don't mind open headphones, you'll have a few more options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back