Ortofon EQ5 , Ety HF5 or Brainwavz B2?
Dec 26, 2012 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

matt_sid

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm in the market for some IEMs, however I live in South Korea and the differences in choice and price can be huge compared to the U.S or Europe. So, rather tell you what my budget is, it's probably better to tell you what I've found out I can afford after doing a little research.

The three headphones that stand out for me are:

Ortofon EQ5
Ety HF5
Brainwavz B2

My research is telling me to go for the EQ5s as given their price in the U.S, compared to the other two, they should be a 'better' headphone, but I know that this isn't always the case. Incidentally the EQ5s here are the equivalent of about $180, much cheaper than I am seeing them on Amazon, I think it is because Ortofon is based in Japan and Korea and Japan are neighbours so duties and tariffs are different here.

Incidentally, I could also afford the following:

Audeo 012/022
Shure SE215
Klipsch X10
Ultimate Ears 700's
Hifiman RE0 (Hifiman re262's are a bit of a stretch on my budget, but might be considered.)

I'm sure someone might mention the following, because they all kept cropping up in my research as highly recommended, but they are not in my price range or not available here:

DBA-02
GR07
Triple.Fi 10s
Ety ER4s
VSonic R50

However, you can only do so much research, so if I have missed any other obvious contenders please feel free to advize.

I'm pretty sure you will ask what kind of music I listen to and stuff about 'sound stages' which I really don't understand. But, for extra information, I've owned a pair of Westone UM1's and Klipsch S4s in the past and I think I preferred the more detailed sound that a balanced armature seems to give. I do like a bit of bass, but it's not my overriding factor. I listen mainly to indie rock, some dance, pop and electronica and sometimes a bit of classical.

I listen to most of my music through my Samsung Galaxy s2 phone, my trusty old Sansa Clip and until I trod on it my superb Sony NWZ840. I don't use any amplification and am not intending to for the time being.

Hopefully I've given enough information for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.
Hi, I was going to start this as a new thread, but since this thread told me not to, I thought I would try here first!!

I'm in the market for some IEMs, however I live in South Korea and the differences in choice and price can be huge compared to the U.S or Europe. So, rather tell you what my budget is, it's probably better to tell you what I've found out I can afford after doing a little research.

The three headphones that stand out for me are:

Ortofon EQ5
Ety HF5
Brainwavz B2

My research is telling me to go for the EQ5s as given their price in the U.S, compared to the other two, they should be a 'better' headphone, but I know that this isn't always the case. Incidentally the EQ5s here are the equivalent of about $180, much cheaper than I am seeing them on Amazon, I think it is because Ortofon is based in Japan and Korea and Japan are neighbours so duties and tariffs are different here.

Incidentally, I could also afford the following:

Audeo 012/022
Shure SE215
Klipsch X10
Ultimate Ears 700's
Hifiman RE0 (Hifiman re262's are a bit of a stretch on my budget, but might be considered.)

I'm sure someone might mention the following, because they all kept cropping up in my research as highly recommended, but they are not in my price range or not available here:

DBA-02
GR07
Triple.Fi 10s
Ety ER4s
VSonic R50

However, you can only do so much research, so if I have missed any other obvious contenders please feel free to advize.

I'm pretty sure you will ask what kind of music I listen to and stuff about 'sound stages' which I really don't understand. But, for extra information, I've owned a pair of Westone UM1's and Klipsch S4s in the past and I think I preferred the more detailed sound that a balanced armature seems to give. I do like a bit of bass, but it's not my overriding factor. I listen mainly to indie rock, some dance, pop and electronica and sometimes a bit of classical.

I listen to most of my music through my Samsung Galaxy s2 phone, my trusty old Sansa Clip and until I trod on it my superb Sony NWZ840. I don't use any amplification and am not intending to for the time being.

Hopefully I've given enough information for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 2
I have RE0, RE262, EQ5 and B2.

From most to least analytical:
RE0 >= B2 >> EQ5 >= RE262.

From warmest to least warm:
EQ5 >= RE262 >> B2 >= RE0

Most forward mids:
EQ5 > RE262 >> RE0 >B2

Most bass:
EQ5 > RE262 >> B2 > RE0

Most treble:
RE0 > B2 >> RE262 > EQ5

Biggest soundstage:
EQ5 > RE262 > B2 >> RE0

Best isolation:
RE262 (big bi-flanges) << RE0 (hybrids or foams) < EQ5 (single flanges) < B2 (single flanges)

RE262 and EQ5 are the ones most people will like. B2, RE0 are a more dangerous choice. Hate them or love them.
I use RE262 and RE0 with an amp, RE0 works best with a warm amp.
B2 has a thin nozzle and thus can't be used with most aftermarket tips. RE262 is very picky on tips -at least for me-. EQ5 is very sensitive and can hiss with some players.

Good luck and happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back