Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #766 of 1,026
I can tell you the e-Q5 is a fun IEM and they work well with all types of music.  Its not a thin sounding IEM at all, it has very good dynamics and it does add some weight to the music.

+1

It is a well rounded full sounding iem.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #768 of 1,026
wow , i wish i knew japanese - i would order a pair of these asap

had a pair of these and sold them because my re-272 sounded better and i had to sell one , but i want to get them back

really good iems and for 110 euros ? deal of the year
Quote:
So it turns out that through Amazon JP/Tenso these can actually be ordered for ~110 EUR, which seems like an incredible deal (considering that they retail for 229 EUR here).

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #769 of 1,026
You can get them from musicaacoustics.com for $199 with free shipping, that's where I got my pair from and they have pretty fast free shipping from Japan.

Here's the e-Q5 page -  http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/headphones/ortofon-e-q5/

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #770 of 1,026
Feb 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #771 of 1,026
In all fairness, the 110 EUR is excluding the compulsary EMS fee. I would love to buy from musica acoustics, but they're selling it at a price point at which customs fees would kill me if the package gets screened (consider about 80 EUR in customs duties and VAT). Now with amazon jp and tenso it works out at ~130, but customs values them at the selling price of 110. Worst case scenario is that I have to pay VAT then, but the value would be too low for import duties, so it's much cheaper for me. It's a bit of a hassle though to translate all the Japanese.. :)

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #772 of 1,026
If you contact them at musica acoustics they'll work with you on make it seem like it costs less so you don't get killed on customs fees.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #773 of 1,026
Quote:

Thank you, that helps. Would you say the e-Q5 is more "fun" than the RE-0 or is it basically doing a lot of things better, but ends up being a tad boring as well?

It's quite versatile.  If you are looking for RE-0 upgrade then it's the RE272, which is frighteningly detailed. Both RE272 and e-Q5 will complete your circle of sound signature, unless you want a more odd presentation.

e-Q7 balanced but laid back presentation. Treble can be hot with certain tips. Might be uncomfortable for longer use due to non tapered housings.

Overall I still consider it as one of the likeable IEM I have ever used.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #774 of 1,026
Getting the C&C BH amp soon to try with these bad boys. :D

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #775 of 1,026
I't quite tricky to get a good fit with the E-Q5s for dogs with small ears like me... if I could just extend the nozzle a bit then use small tips. I am liking the overall sound though but still DBA w/ double flange > E-Q5s...  but the bass on the E-Q5s are really something and it really comes from a very good tip/seal.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #776 of 1,026
Guys, I am looking for a neutral, detailed IEM, with realistic decay in the bass. I had the Rock It Sounds R-50, which was a TWFK, and I found the low-end body to be somewhat thin and unnatural. How does the E-Q5 fair in terms of neutrality? I know it is a fairly detailed IEM, but I'm not sure of the frequency balance.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #777 of 1,026
Quote:
Guys, I am looking for a neutral, detailed IEM, with realistic decay in the bass. I had the Rock It Sounds R-50, which was a TWFK, and I found the low-end body to be somewhat thin and unnatural. How does the E-Q5 fair in terms of neutrality? I know it is a fairly detailed IEM, but I'm not sure of the frequency balance.

It's pretty well rounded off mate.

The bass end is full and luscious without being too wobbly.

I think you'll enjoy it. 
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #778 of 1,026

EQ5 has a bit more subbass and midbass, less rolled off than R50. Issue is, it's treble is more uneven and a lot more rolled off than the R50s 

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #779 of 1,026
Just wanted to let you know guys, Ortofon e-Q5s are on sale at MusicaAcoustics at the moment!! $198.00 + shippinng 
biggrin.gif

Such a steal!!

http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/headphones/ortofon-e-q5/

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #780 of 1,026
Quote:
Just wanted to let you know guys, Ortofon e-Q5s are on sale at MusicaAcoustics at the moment!! $198.00 + shippinng 
biggrin.gif

Such a steal!!

http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/headphones/ortofon-e-q5/

Actually according to their website, $198 already including shipping cost (not the speedy EMS) regular one.
also just noticed the new Ultra Ortofon MHd-q7 portable amp is on pre-order sale today for $298.(also shipping included here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back