Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #919 of 1,026
is there a way to get the mids a little back in the mix ? i think the mids are quite ahead and in your face - or maybe it's because they sound like this , compared to the RE-262/272 ?

funny how all 3 iems (EQ-5, RE-262, RE-272) sound completely different with each other

all 3 iems sound great (taking into account their price , i think these are very good/terrific value-for-money iems...) but everyone has its little shortocmings/weaknesses

then again if you could buy a perfect sub-250$ iem , i guess all these 1000$ customs would be pointless in existing

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #920 of 1,026
  do these iems change after the 'burn-in' period ?

I found they cleared up a little in the first couple of hours (i.e. I remember they sounded very tamed out of the box, but may have been due the fact that I was using the RE0 extensively the weeks before).

All in all a great IEM and have since gotten a replacement (own fault). What still strikes me most is that they sound incredibly lifelike, especially in the mids (guitars, vocals). Now if only they extended as good as the RE0..... IMO they do everything exceptionally well, apart from 12-14khz+. Well, I also wouldn't complain for getting that Sennheiser soundstage back again, but you can't have it all for ~135 EUR.. :wink:

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #921 of 1,026
compared to the re-262 and re-272 , eq-5 is one different beast.

after having it back in 2011 and selling it after suffering mild sibilance i had to try it again - this time there is no sibilance whatsoever and i think the use of the arrow improves its sonic qualities.

funny thing is that i can't decide if this is the best or the worst of these (top-tier) iems

listening to some Brian Eno now , i really like them , while at times they seem almost 'shouty' and in your face

the final point is that i am keeping all 3 iems for now , which is the only proof that this is a nice iem

oh , and looking back at pianist's older posts i was laughing at how he seemed to contradict everyone(even himlself)  with what he thought he listened one day and what he listened the next day - priceless.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #923 of 1,026
  Try some genuine Sony hybrids. I also found them too aggressive with their normally wonderful stock tips. They're actually on the warm side with the Hybrids. Shortening the stems can get some snap back.

thanx for the advice first of all
smile_phones.gif
, i have the fake sony hybrids and i am either using the medium ones or the medium/large stock tips - i don't have any sibilance with either , i just think that the stock tips give a sweeter,more clear sound but maybe this is tricks of my mind. i think that when the eq5 is 'on' it is the most enjoyable of these 3 iems

i also feel that every of these 3 iems hits a different spot depending the kind of music i pick (i listen from wham! to opeth , so there is a variety of genres and sounds) so i simply experiment (or change iem if the picked one does not click for me then)

i think that while the 272 is more lean and fast for say rock music , and 262 is more spacious and mellow for say jazz music , eq5 is somewhere in between

for the money i spent though (135$ for a BNIN pair) i think these are more than fine (i also managed to get a used re-262 for 60$ , 2014 is a good year for iems i guess lol)

do you have any other suggestions , tip-wise ? how would these work with say the hifiman bi-flanges ?

maybe some link in amazon.co.uk of tips that really work well with EQ-5 ?

edit : i have like 30-40 hours on them since i bought them , and i feel like these are still 'opening' sound-wise and sounding more sweet and balanced -plus i get no sibilance whatsoever which is what made me sell these when i first had them in 2011. very happy with what i am hearing.

maybe it's my ears/brain getting used to them , maybe not - they are very different from 262/272 though which makes for a nice sonic alternative to the more relaxed/neutral sound of 262/272

they are also more versatile than both 262/272 , imho

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #924 of 1,026
Hey guys. I have a really nice experience listening to these iems, but it's my first high-end iem, so I don't have much to compare with. Anyways, out of the box they sounded quite harsh to me, also lacking bass impact. But that's probably because I was used to oversaturated bass from my previous dynamic drivers. So it was like a week of mental burn in for me, but I'm pretty confident that the iems themselves had improved a bit since. Specifically in becoming smoother in upper mids and highs.

Ok, now to the point. I have this weird issue with my left driver. As it is made up of 2 separate parts (driver and chamber) I can now rotate them against each other. I do that when I'm putting them into my ears, because it can fit better when u put them in while rotating. The right driver is all solid. So, anyone had a similar issue? I wouldn't worry about it if I knew that the cable inside won't just disconnect after repetitive daily rotations. Thanks in advance

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #925 of 1,026

thanx for the advice first of all
smile_phones.gif
, i have the fake sony hybrids and i am either using the medium ones or the medium/large stock tips - i don't have any sibilance with either , i just think that the stock tips give a sweeter,more clear sound but maybe this is tricks of my mind. i think that when the eq5 is 'on' it is the most enjoyable of these 3 iems

i also feel that every of these 3 iems hits a different spot depending the kind of music i pick (i listen from wham! to opeth , so there is a variety of genres and sounds) so i simply experiment (or change iem if the picked one does not click for me then)

i think that while the 272 is more lean and fast for say rock music , and 262 is more spacious and mellow for say jazz music , eq5 is somewhere in between

for the money i spent though (135$ for a BNIN pair) i think these are more than fine (i also managed to get a used re-262 for 60$ , 2014 is a good year for iems i guess lol)

do you have any other suggestions , tip-wise ? how would these work with say the hifiman bi-flanges ?

maybe some link in amazon.co.uk of tips that really work well with EQ-5 ?

edit : i have like 30-40 hours on them since i bought them , and i feel like these are still 'opening' sound-wise and sounding more sweet and balanced -plus i get no sibilance whatsoever which is what made me sell these when i first had them in 2011. very happy with what i am hearing.

maybe it's my ears/brain getting used to them , maybe not - they are very different from 262/272 though which makes for a nice sonic alternative to the more relaxed/neutral sound of 262/272

they are also more versatile than both 262/272 , imho

The phoney ones don't sound the same. lacks texture through the mids and less open in general. I also think they take a pretty long time to fully settle.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #926 of 1,026
  The phoney ones don't sound the same. lacks texture through the mids and less open in general. I also think they take a pretty long time to fully settle.

phoney ? you mean sony hybrid tips or phoney eq-5?

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #928 of 1,026
the santa klaus from south korea strikes back - brand new EQ5 for 140$....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/707127/brand-new-ortofon-e-q5-black

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #929 of 1,026
bump for this fantastic pair for sale.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #930 of 1,026
Omg I missed my chance
frown.gif

Are you getting any more in at some point? Please say yes.

Really fancy the black ones.

there's another brand new pair for sale - check the previous 2-3 posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back