Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 9, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #22,726 of 27,179
  Does this only apply to planars? The Z7 has an extremely "agile" driver, very fast attack and decay, and it has a large and extremely heavy membrane due to the palladium coating on the diaphragm. 

No, not just planars. You have to realize that how a headphone ends up sounding is a function not only of its driver but also its surrounding environment. While a thinner diaphragm may be more 'agile' than a thicker one, its still bulky enough that its movements cannot be controlled without some form physical damping. Provided adequate damping, both an 'agile' and a 'bulky' driver would have similar speed, attack and decay although the lighter driver would probably need less damping and may sound better due to that (bigger soundstage etc.)
Your Z7 probaly is much better damped than your planars.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #22,727 of 27,179

Does this only apply to planars? The Z7 has an extremely "agile" driver, very fast attack and decay, and it has a large and extremely heavy membrane due to the palladium coating on the diaphragm. 

No, not just planars. You have to realize that how a headphone ends up sounding is a function not only of its driver but also its surrounding environment. While a thinner diaphragm may be more 'agile' than a thicker one, its still bulky enough that its movements cannot be controlled without some form physical damping. Provided adequate damping, both an 'agile' and a 'bulky' driver would have similar speed, attack and decay although the lighter driver would probably need less damping and may sound better due to that (bigger soundstage etc.)

Your Z7 probaly is much better damped than your planars.

Huh, so that's why damping a driver can improve the transient response.

And yeah, the Z7 is dampened so hard that the driver has almost no backwave at all.

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #22,728 of 27,179
Hi everybody.  I've been away for a long time, but I'm back and it looks like I'm going forward with the Yamaha Soft Headband project 
L3000.gif

At first, I'm planning to make at least two versions of a headband that will fit the YH1, YH2, HP1, HP2 phones.
One version will be like the original (suede fabric glued to a plastic frame).  The other version, if it proves comfortable, will be a one piece all-plastic design,  with an open lattice or perforated area replacing the fabric portion.

I really can't provide firm pricing yet, pending production costs/calculations;  however I hope to be able to sell them in the $25 - $30 range, depending on the model (fabric vs. all-plastic) and other factors.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has strong feelings about an all plastic version vs. the original/vintage fabric kind (with better fabric of course ;~)  I feel an all-plastic one would be stronger, and would allow one's scalp to breathe . . .

Thanks,

Neil

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #22,729 of 27,179
Who is currently manufacturing a orthodynamic headphone? The fostex line i heard is just old stock, not sure it that's true or not but what other brands are out there where one might buy a new ortho. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #22,730 of 27,179
  Who is currently manufacturing a orthodynamic headphone? The fostex line i heard is just old stock, not sure it that's true or not but what other brands are out there where one might buy a new ortho. 

HifiMan and Oppo are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #22,731 of 27,179
  Hi everybody.  I've been away for a long time, but I'm back and it looks like I'm going forward with the Yamaha Soft Headband project 
L3000.gif

At first, I'm planning to make at least two versions of a headband that will fit the YH1, YH2, HP1, HP2 phones.
One version will be like the original (suede fabric glued to a plastic frame).  The other version, if it proves comfortable, will be a one piece all-plastic design,  with an open lattice or perforated area replacing the fabric portion.

I really can't provide firm pricing yet, pending production costs/calculations;  however I hope to be able to sell them in the $25 - $30 range, depending on the model (fabric vs. all-plastic) and other factors.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has strong feelings about an all plastic version vs. the original/vintage fabric kind (with better fabric of course ;~)  I feel an all-plastic one would be stronger, and would allow one's scalp to breathe . . .

Thanks,

Neil

How about posting some pictures of the progress you have made with this project of yours? or at least the 3d rendering?

Edit, forgot to mention i have the yamaha YH-3 and if it had a more comfortable headband i'd be thrilled, as it is i cant wear them at all because of how uncomfortable they are. So add yh3 to your list of headbands hah.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #22,737 of 27,179

Also LFF Enigma. Not shure where he sources his drivers from.

I think they're fostex drivers, but I'm really not sure as I haven't personally seen one.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #22,738 of 27,179
  You replied to the wrong person 
wink.gif

No I didn't
  That's what happens when you try to be a smart ass, you end up just being the second part.

And when you insist on playing the dumb ass, you merely pollute a forum where  the answers to your questions have previously been posted.
Being to bloody lazy to search for information already on the forum is not going to win you any points here.

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #22,739 of 27,179

No I didn't
And when you insist on playing the dumb ass, you merely pollute a forum where  the answers to your questions have previously been posted.
Being to bloody lazy to search for information already on the forum is not going to win you any points here.

O.o why reply to the person who tried to answer his question? I don't understand so please enlighten me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back