Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 21, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #21,796 of 27,137
Darn. Oh well I'll just open up my other phones and choose a sacrifice. In the mean time, could I buy and ortho off you
biggrin.gif
?

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #21,798 of 27,137
Darn. Oh well I'll just open up my other phones and choose a sacrifice. In the mean time, could I buy and ortho off you
biggrin.gif

?

That's the best thing to do. Open up some headphones so see if it would be appropriate as foster.

I'm not home so I can't really sell anything. ^^;
Check the for sale section of the forum and ebay, there is currently a lot of stuff you can acquire.

There isn't much sources for ortho drivers other than to take them out from other headphones, or some SFI drivers that are somewhat hard to come by too now. Hence, if you are to abandon your YH-1, remember that even just as drivers they do still have some worth in them. Armaegis is interested to trade for them, no? :b
Otherwise, the T50RP is the least expensive ortho still widely available. That should still take some modding for improving the sound.

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #21,799 of 27,137
Quote:
On a more serious note, where can I get some ortho drivers?

Right now I'm selling an SFI driver headphone (it's a rare Watson OEM, so it's more for the headphone than the drivers) and a Yamaha HP3.
(see my 'signature' for my classifieds)

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #21,800 of 27,137
This thread is interesting to me. I had a pair of Yamaha HP-2 headphones for the longest time, as near as I can recall I bought them in 1976 or 1977. They got quite a bit of use, but then wound up in a box in my basement for the past 20 years or so. Sometime last year I dropped them off at the local Salvation Army thrift store.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #21,801 of 27,137
Quote:
Not sure about the AKG K141 but I know I did open a K271 for use as fosterphone and... it wasn't all that pretty to work with.

Yeah, I've had an SFI / AKG K240 Sextett transplant on the backburner forever and the AKG frame is just a pain to work with (which is probably why the project is still on the backburner). 

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #21,802 of 27,137
Quote:

Yeah, I've had an SFI / AKG K240 Sextett transplant on the backburner forever and the AKG frame is just a pain to work with (which is probably why the project is still on the backburner). 

Shallow cup depth, short cable, some piece of rubber thang on the cable entry point that reduces the center depth even more, treble hell, impossible to hold the pieces together when putting them back together... can you name more??
Well, I can't disagree in saying that I haven't put enough effort into it yet but... yeah, that one's been on hold for a while.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #21,803 of 27,137
Wow I didn't realize it's been almost two years since I last touched the project... http://www.head-fi.org/t/569510/ortho-transplant-orthosex-sfi-into-akg-k240-sextett-lp-in-progress

This was one of my early forays into transplanting. Looking over it, I'd take out a lot of those cheap foams and use some better acoustic foam instead. But yeah, treble hell. Actually one of the reasons I gave up on it was because I didn't have an amp that could produce any useable volume back then so couldn't do any tuning. I don't really have that excuse now... 

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #21,805 of 27,137
Quote:
Wow I didn't realize it's been almost two years since I last touched the project... http://www.head-fi.org/t/569510/ortho-transplant-orthosex-sfi-into-akg-k240-sextett-lp-in-progress

This was one of my early forays into transplanting. Looking over it, I'd take out a lot of those cheap foams and use some better acoustic foam instead. But yeah, treble hell. Actually one of the reasons I gave up on it was because I didn't have an amp that could produce any useable volume back then so couldn't do any tuning. I don't really have that excuse now... 

Gotta say though... your mods are so much cleaner than what I pull out.
I used a K271mkII and I had to significantly widen the baffle. And from lack of better experience and lighting, the hole I dremel'd out isn't very round or accurate in size... need to rework that.
K271 driver capsules are tiny.

Quote:
I tried out today for the first time a new damping material idea - circular cotton-wool pads for make-up removal. (still including the original foam layer underneath)

You mean the stuff that's usually quilted?

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #21,806 of 27,137
Quote:

You mean the stuff that's usually quilted?

Exactly.

I may have posted 'new idea', but that was for me rather than other people. I'm sure the most experienced modders have outgrown it long ago.

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #21,807 of 27,137
Quote:

Just an update about my SFI driver transplant into these headphones.

I tried out today for the first time a new damping material idea - circular cotton-wool pads for make-up removal. (still including the original foam layer underneath)
All I can say is wow. 

If anyone has access to these I would strongly recommend trying them out. I'm getting a VERY neutral sound out of these drivers now.
Sub bass suffers a bit, but the neutrality for any acoustic recordings is the best I've heard out of these so far.

I had always found that it dulled the sound too much. 'cotton wool in the ears' type lol. I had tried peeleing thin layers of it out to reduce its effects with slight success. Didnt get any wow like you did :/. Maybe it works for SFI, which i have not tried yet. 

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #21,808 of 27,137
Those SFI's *are* tweeters after all... cranking down the treble is most of the battle with those. 

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #21,810 of 27,137
Actually the cotton wool pads mostly tame the high bass hump (around 250hz) and somewhat kill the lower bass too - I'm left with almost a Gradoish sound, but a bit dry and closed. 
I'm going to still try out new things in the future to get the low bass (100hz and below) louder by around 2-3dB and if I could kill the high bass by another 3-4dB that would be perfect. Any suggestions on how to do that would be received gratefully. 

If anything there could actually be a tiny bit more sparkle on the high treble end. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back