Orthodynamic Roundup
Feb 20, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #16,471 of 27,169
@whitney, I was just remembering that when I recommended Dynamat (at the meet) to lessen the mids and treble I forgot that you drilled all those holes. Covering them up with dynamat would kind of defeat the purpose of opening them up. However if you do in fact want to get rid of some of the peaky mids, dynamat might be worth it.

With normal cans I believe Dynamat is a big NO NO but your situation is a bit different in that Dynamat works well with fostex orthos. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #16,472 of 27,169
@ RD:
you might want to try add several holes match to the gril size (in diametre) on the centre of the tapes, weither micropore or transpore to let the air flow a lil bit on the midrange..do it safely, you not want any holes onto your driver cos doing that directly when attached to the driver..
do some trial error on many holes to the transpore, like star shape or hexagram and so on, you choice..
just remember to add 1 holes precisely at the center..goodluck!
:)

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #16,473 of 27,169
Quote:
With normal cans I believe Dynamat is a big NO NO but your situation is a bit different in that Dynamat works well with fostex orthos. 

Why exactly is it bad for normal phones and what exactly do you mean my "normal"?  Dynamic?

All I know so far is that it did wonders for my T50RPs.  It really cleaned up the mids and tightened and deepened the bass.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #16,474 of 27,169

Quote:
Quote:

Why exactly is it bad for normal phones and what exactly do you mean my "normal"?  Dynamic?

All I know so far is that it did wonders for my T50RPs.  It really cleaned up the mids and tightened and deepened the bass.

I used a bit in my HFI-780, and it really tightened up the sound without doing any damage.  It was used sparingly, though.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #16,475 of 27,169
My T20v2 was significantly converted from midfi fun to semi-audiophile & refined by the Dynamat/Alubutyl stuff.

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #16,477 of 27,169
Just shot a Sansui SS-L 55.
smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120684627944

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #16,479 of 27,169
yep, and its rare to be spotted on any auction as well..
in stock form, the sound are more higher tuned than original ATH2 or VSH5 VectorScan (OEM directly from ATH2)..its great for portable use too, but using serious gear setup will bring more good result..the only issue that i&trooper found on this SS L-55 only a short decay on the upper freq, you might need a simple tweak to get rid of this faulty, that's all..
nice found..:wink:

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #16,480 of 27,169
just got done fitting mini-XLRs to a new pair of thunderpants cups. 

Waiting for the goop to cure before i go ahead and do the wiring (similar pin out to the Audeze LCD-2). ALl that is left after than is figuring out a damping scheme before sealing the cups shut.

Still haven't gotten around to the afzelia cups for the wharfedale nor to the two pairs of Fostex T20V2s.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #16,481 of 27,169
and wualta, i just wanted to mention this..

been listening exclusively to speakers the last month. IN all honestly its been close just over 2 months  since i did any major headphone listening.

There are some things that i miss about headphone listneing. I do believe the detail level is more so in headphone listneing. Well elt me rephrase that..the presentation of headphones when it comes to details is much more upfront and pronounces compared to headphones. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.   The only parallels that i can draw between planar speakers and planar headphones are their ability to reproduce vocals like none other. 

Still playing around with placement of speakers and the lessons have been interesting. 

Had the tweeters facing outwards originally as suggested by the manual, switching the speakers around and now with the tweeters on the inside the magnepans are imaging like crazy. I spaced out the speakers more than before too. 7 ft from center of tweeter to tweeter, 4 and half feet from rear walls and about 1.5 ft from the side wall on the right channel and a good 3 feet on the left speaker to left wall. 

Bass is nice and deep. COuld use a bit more definition. With a blanket over the TV screen, the bass focuses some more and so does the midrange.  Adding a new preamplfiier (Sonic Frontiers SFL-1) next week while i build a DIY tube buffer pre section. Also getting a 2 inch thick slab of slate and brass cones for the power amp stand. Overall am very very pleased with my speaker rig. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #16,482 of 27,169
Yes, welcome to the crazy world of speakers! Endless futzing and fidgeting to be done, a whole lifetime of excitement and adventure and really wild things stretching out ahead of you. By the end of it, you'll be bipolar and impossible to live with. But never mind that now.

You should get a bit more clarity out of the Maggies, because you stay in the nearfield  to a greater extent than with box speakers. Not that there's any lack of room contribution to the sound, just that you're a step ahead.

And of course you're listening to recordings that were made to be listened to on speakers. This is the dirty secret of the headphone lifestyle: our headphones are always trying to make sense of speaker recordings and so are at a disadvantage from the start.

My favorite speakers vs headphones example is the recordings of the band Doves. Their arrangements, which are teased out delicately by headphones, turn to mush on normal speakers in a normal room. It's almost like listening to a different band.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #16,483 of 27,169

Quote:
Quote:

@ Maverickronin A lot a times dynamat can give negative results as it can deaden resonances too much causing recessed sound. Personally, I haven't experienced this but I've read that that this happens quite a bit. I Have a little dynamat in my woodied T50rp, and it works extremely well for me. 

@RD If you were to use a hole puncher and punch out holes (in the dynamat) in alignment with the holes you made in the cups, you'd be able to use dynamat and still get that open sound. Just take a peace of paper, lay it over the inside of the cup, and then punch out all of the holes with a pencil. Then tape that piece of paper to a piece of Dynamat Xtreme and punch out holes. 

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #16,484 of 27,169

Quote:
yep, and its rare to be spotted on any auction as well..
in stock form, the sound are more higher tuned than original ATH2 or VSH5 VectorScan (OEM directly from ATH2)..its great for portable use too, but using serious gear setup will bring more good result..the only issue that i&trooper found on this SS L-55 only a short decay on the upper freq, you might need a simple tweak to get rid of this faulty, that's all..
nice found..
wink.gif

Their sheer rareness and your descriptions of its sound sig were the things that attracted me most, I would have gone even further than the 50ish Euros. Suited for portable usage? Good...the small HP2 is such an awful power pig.

Hope I can dig some presence out of it, but generally, I'm rather on the dark than on the bright side.

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #16,485 of 27,169

nichen, if you like dark side you might like ATH-2 more since this sibbling version from Sansui are a lil' bright (than the dark original ATH-2 or VSH5)...
i never found any dark on HP2, but a lil' bit bassy yes it is..
dark is what i call for NAD RP-18 bassheavy or victor HP D-50 on their stock form...
well anyway, hopefully you enjoy what you just purchase...stock or modded, it's a nice found though...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back