Apr 12, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #151 of 159
See this for a cautionary note on comparing DR ratings between CD and vinyl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AE9dL5FG8

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #152 of 159
See this for a cautionary note on comparing DR ratings between CD and vinyl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AE9dL5FG8

I've seen that before and have already had my
fallings out with that guy. Shepherd is himself
a mastering engineer and has his own agenda.

The facts are: Those Abbey Roads(the 1969
vinyl and 1987 CD) are more than 4dB DR
values apart - indicating some processing had
to have taken place during production of the
CD(assuming same master tape was used in
production of both it and the LP). "Mechanical
tolerances" and other phono playback issues
are not enough to explain such a discrepency.

Like I said, a 1-2dB DR meter difference is
acceptable between a vinyl and CD of the
same exact album - not 3 or more DB.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #153 of 159
I've seen that before and have already had my
fallings out with that guy. Shepherd is himself
a mastering engineer and has his own agenda.

The facts are: Those Abbey Roads(the 1969
vinyl and 1987 CD) are more than 4dB DR
values apart - indicating some processing had
to have taken place during production of the
CD(assuming same master tape was used in
production of both it and the LP). "Mechanical
tolerances" and other phono playback issues
are not enough to explain such a discrepency.

Like I said, a 1-2dB DR meter difference is
acceptable between a vinyl and CD of the
same exact album - not 3 or more DB.

You'd need the same tapes in the same condition through the same transfer chain I would think, which is beyond my interest in the Beatles to try to verify.
redface.gif
Also, "1-2 but not 3" seems pretty arbitrary, especially when just one extra peak can change the rating.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #155 of 159
I'm curious what the folks here think about the 2011 remasters of Pink Floyd's discography.  The remasters were all done by James Guthrie, the original engineer for The Wall.  I have a couple of them and I like them, but I've never really heard Pink Floyd on the original vinyl, just older CDs and mp3s.

I realize this is a 4-yr old thread, but I've heard the digital remasters and I'm not a fan.
I wouldn't say the sound is "bad" per se, but when you've heard these classic songs for years and all of the sudden the dynamics change it just feels wrong.
DSOTM I've heard enough to know every subtle little sound, and why would they arbitrarily change things around?

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #156 of 159
It is really on a case-by-case basis. The one thing I love about YouTube, Spotify or even the previews in iTunes is that I can sample it some before I buy it. I have gotten quite a few remastered classic rock albums that sound great and others that do not sound good.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #158 of 159
Speaking of remastered CDs, what is head-fi's opinion on remasters for the Yes albums "Fragile" and "Close to the Edge"?

The remasters are okay, by no means bad. Best CD versions? Fragile - MFSL Gold CD. Close To The Edge - Audio Fidelity Gold CD. Unless you have to have the best versions, I'd stick with the remasters as they're way less money.

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #159 of 159
I realize this is a 4-yr old thread, but I've heard the digital remasters and I'm not a fan.
I wouldn't say the sound is "bad" per se, but when you've heard these classic songs for years and all of the sudden the dynamics change it just feels wrong.
DSOTM I've heard enough to know every subtle little sound, and why would they arbitrarily change things around?

I had the same feeling. The real gem of this remaster series imo was "Animals." For the others, if you just want something affordable, the 1990s remasters done by Doug Sax were good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back