Ordered Sennheiser HD650s today and have a question...
Jul 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ImitationOfLife

100+ Head-Fier
Hey fellas,

I'm new to the site and just happened to order Sennheiser HD650s today. Now, I have been doing to some extensive research, but I am still unsure of this: What is a good, not too expensive amp to buy to power them? I'm a bit lost right now. I do like the Ibasso D2+ Boa, but I'm not sure it has adequate juice to power the HD650s, as it is a portable amp.

Any help is appreciated.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 27
The D2 would be a good starter amp. But seriously, the HD650s need a desktop amp to sound their best. For the $$ you would spend on the D2, you could pick up a used LD MKIII tube amp that would actually do them justice.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 27
I like "TUBE" amps with my headphones, so you might wait to hear from some of the younger dudes who use the small, I-pod type amps............A Little dot MK3 just sold on audiogon for $190.00..........from some of the post here the guys like them for the cheaper priced amps.....Keep reading,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck and welcome to head-fi!
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 27
Welcome to head-fi!  The HD650 are cans that sound better with better amplification.  There are a lot of threads asking about this in the amp section so head on over and you can find examples.  Also, look in the For Sale section to see whats available.  If you buy used and you find that the amp is not well suited wiht the HD650s, you can resell that at a minimal loss and try another one.  Also, you could try some DIY amps, the Dynalo on the FS http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/498252/fs-dynalo-amp might mate well.  I have a Gilmore Lite w/ DPS (albeit alot more expensive than the the one I linked) which is based off the Dynalo and is a good match

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 27
For a good explanation of why a portable amp is not the best choice for the HD-650, read Boomana's Wiki for new users posted here. I don't recommend the inexpensive tube amps. Unfortunately, the cost of transformers and other materials required to do tubes correctly cost much more than it costs to do solid state correctly. If you break down the costs of building each, you'll see why. While I prefer tubes, you can find excellent value and sound in solid state. As was mentioned, give DIY some thought if it interests you. It's not as hard as it sounds and the DIY Forum will answer questions and give support.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will look over in the amp forum as well.

Can these desktop/non-portable amps plug right into a computer like the D2 Boa can?

No, the D2 has a USB DAC (you can always pick one up later), but you can simply get a 1/8" stereo to RCA plug for right now to hook it up from your PC to the desktop amp.

FYI...a great little USB DAC to look into is the Nuforce uDAC. It also has an amp built in, but not ideal for cans with 100ohm or higher impedance. It can be used as a stand alone DAC to feed an amp.
devil_face.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 27
The HD650s really need desktop amplification, if you want a decent DAC/amp combo to pair with them, the Audio-GD FUN is a great product to look into.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 27
If you can get your hands on a Gilmore Lite, pull the trigger. It's the purchase I will never regret, especially now that they're discontinued.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
If you can get your hands on a Gilmore Lite, pull the trigger. It's the purchase I will never regret, especially now that they're discontinued.

Agreed a great amp and pairs very nicely with the HD650s, but it might be a little over the OP's budget.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 27
Musiland 02US.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back