Optical vs firewire
Oct 29, 2005 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dknightd

500+ Head-Fier
I currently use iTunes on an iMac to feed an m-audio firewire audiophile to make my music. I'll soon be replacing the iMac with a G5 tower. The G5 has optical audio output. The m-audio device wil accept both firewire or optical in.
Do you think there would be any advantage to using optical toslink over using firewire? My guess is no. Note that my m-audio does not get its power through the firewire cable (I cut those wires and use a seperate supply). If people think optical would be better then I guess I'll buy an optical cable and give it a try. Suggestions on a "reasonable" optical cable?

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 4
I vote firewire. Data will be transfered bit perfect in packets. Timing (jitter) considerations will only be at the mercy of the clock in the DAC. Optical will be paced by the clock in the computer, and prone to other sources of jitter (unless the m-audio box re-buffers the data).

gerG

Oct 30, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Firewire with the M-audio sounds good if it uses a reliable packet mode in the driver and signals back to the PC how much data it needs to play out according to it's local clock.

Optical out will always be clocked in the computer whether the DAc buffers or reclocks does not matter. The rate is determined int he ocmputer and the DAC must estimate and track the incoming signal rate by whatever means.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back