Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Feb 13, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #3,451 of 6,302
Sounds like a faulty driver. Differences exist commonly, but it shouldn't be very obvious either. Have you tested with different pieces of music? Rarely, but sometimes the channels in a recorded piece seem quite different due to mixing, but that isn't common, more likely a driver issue sadly.

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3,452 of 6,302
  Sounds like a faulty driver. Differences exist commonly, but it shouldn't be very obvious either. Have you tested with different pieces of music? Rarely, but sometimes the channels in a recorded piece seem quite different due to mixing, but that isn't common, more likely a driver issue sadly.

Panic over, turns out I was comparing the differences between each driver with stereo audio turned on, so what sounded like detail was lacking in the left driver was due to the fact that that element of the track is played in the other stereo channel. Turning on play stereo audio as mono to test both drivers proved that there is no discernible difference between the quality of both drivers. I did doubt that there was a fault with the headphones themselves when it was only some tracks that made the drivers sound uneven.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #3,453 of 6,302
  I just bought the Oppo PM-3 from an authorised retailer in the UK. Is it just my headphones or is the sound slightly quieter in the left driver, with less bass and detail than the right driver (I have switched the headphone to the opposite ear to make sure its not my hearing and I've tested it in multiple devices)?

A few times i have thought the same, but then I realized that I had my headphone on the wrong way around.  Most records seemed quiet even for me.  But then, if the R side is a bit louder by default, then that means my R ear is no good... ...

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #3,454 of 6,302
  A few times i have thought the same, but then I realized that I had my headphone on the wrong way around.  Most records seemed quiet even for me.  But then, if the R side is a bit louder by default, then that means my R ear is no good... ...

Or recorded badly/off-channel/unbalanced.

Happens.

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #3,455 of 6,302

Panic over, turns out I was comparing the differences between each driver with stereo audio turned on, so what sounded like detail was lacking in the left driver was due to the fact that that element of the track is played in the other stereo channel. Turning on play stereo audio as mono to test both drivers proved that there is no discernible difference between the quality of both drivers. I did doubt that there was a fault with the headphones themselves when it was only some tracks that made the drivers sound uneven.

You had me worried there for you. Don't you normally use stereo playback? As I'm sure you know there will always be channel differences depending on how the track was mixed. Anyway, glad there wasn't an issue.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #3,457 of 6,302
^ Awesome, should be a nice combination. The PM3 while not perfect is a pretty hard to beat portable headphone and no slouch overall either. Seems to be the consensus winner in the current Oppo lineup of headphones.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #3,458 of 6,302
Yeah I needed a closed set... these will be used in my home office for work half the week and at work in the office for the other half (leakage not allowed).. So they needed to travel well and not look silly on my head.  IEM's wouldn't really work for my needs as I will be using these for music and my softphone (I will be using a sep mic)... 

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #3,459 of 6,302
re. the difference in volume between L and R channel - could be due to the volume control on the amp. I have noticed that with my iFi DSD nano and micro and iTube. At the VERY lowest volume one of the channels fades quicker than the other. I'm not complaining though. I compensate with just a touch of digital volume attenuation with JRiver. No harm done. Very happy with the iFi stuff.

I finally finished making my headphone cable for my PM-3. Quite a nice difference. Not really subtle either. "Bigger" sound, better bass. Better PRAT. Just what you would expect from a good high end cable. I used an old high end silver wire USB cable that I wasn't using anymore. Slapped some gold plated Radio Crap plugs on it. 

Its great that the PM-3 has a user replaceable cable without doing major surgery. Not that I'm adverse to that! 

BTW - LOVE the PM-3's. They sound a lot like my maggies. All good. 

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #3,460 of 6,302
I found two cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R9WAYC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KW0DS34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both are excellent quality and I'm happy with both. The best part is the price. I also bought a couple custom cables from Dyson off eBay but I'm only getting audio out of one channel. He is working hard to fix the issue though. I feel the quality of the Amazon cables is higher though and for the price you can't go wrong.

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,461 of 6,302
  I found two cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R9WAYC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KW0DS34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both are excellent quality and I'm happy with both. The best part is the price. I also bought a couple custom cables from Dyson off eBay but I'm only getting audio out of one channel. He is working hard to fix the issue though. I feel the quality of the Amazon cables is higher though and for the price you can't go wrong.

What are you using the first cable for?  

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #3,463 of 6,302
See latest rave review...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-10-mid-priced-sealed-headphone-survey-oppo-pm3#7CZyhgixaTtzoV4u.97

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #3,464 of 6,302
See latest rave review...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-10-mid-priced-sealed-headphone-survey-oppo-pm3#7CZyhgixaTtzoV4u.97

Thanks for the link. A very raving review indeed.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #3,465 of 6,302
Still not 100% sold on my Oppo PM-3, but I haven't given them enough Head time. I almost wish I had gone with the Sennheiser HD700 as those were the phones I convinced myself I wanted for a while now. I built a custom cable to go with it, and unfortunately didn't realize the "slim" plug needed for the headphone side. Now I need to search out a new plug to solder on.  Any good suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back