Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Sep 8, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2,476 of 6,302
I can't seem to find the exact material used for the pads but they are definitely a type of leather. I forgot to mention the clamping force. Out of the box.....ouch. Very strong, the first few days after wearing them for hours on end my ears,head, and jaw were pretty sore. Almost to the point of making me return them. I was VERY close to just returning them but I figured I would give them a fair amount of time to relax and break in and they did. They clamp WAY less than out of the box. So please give them a fair amount of time to break in before making the final decision on keeping them or returning. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #2,477 of 6,302
  I will ask though, if these hit the top octaves well. I ask because I not only listen to Western rock but also Japanese rock music types, and those girls can hit really high vocal octaves that I rarely hear in Western music.

The bass needs to be able to hit those lows and the high octaves need to be heard. That was my main worry with going neutral.

The top 1.5 octaves are a little rolled off. However no human being can sing at that kind of fundamental frequency.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #2,479 of 6,302
Alexander,

Where do u live?

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #2,481 of 6,302
Check ur pm. Sent u one explaining

Just trying to help..... no bashing....:wink:

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,483 of 6,302
I have just got the Cayin C5 amp and paired with the ibasso dx90 and using the PM3s the sound seems to have opened up a bit everything sounds a little wider apart and nice.

I have been using daily now for a good few weeks and i can tell the difference with each upgrade of equipment going from a fiio x3ii with the ellk amp to the ibasso to the ibasso & C5 each time sound gets a little bit better.  Now i need to convince myself that i need to buy the Cayin N5 but that is proving difficult.

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #2,484 of 6,302
  I have just got the Cayin C5 amp and paired with the ibasso dx90 and using the PM3s the sound seems to have opened up a bit everything sounds a little wider apart and nice.

I have been using daily now for a good few weeks and i can tell the difference with each upgrade of equipment going from a fiio x3ii with the ellk amp to the ibasso to the ibasso & C5 each time sound gets a little bit better.  Now i need to convince myself that i need to buy the Cayin N5 but that is proving difficult.

I thought one of the goal of buying such expensive mp3 player like DX90 was not to have to use another DAC or AMP...

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #2,485 of 6,302
  I thought one of the goal of buying such expensive mp3 player like DX90 was not to have to use another DAC or AMP...

I thought this when I bought my DX90 last year, I was blown away with how good it sounded. Then in February this year, I had a chance to try the Oppo PM-3 with and without the Oppo HA-2. I noticed an improvement in sound and impact when using the HA-2 over the DX90. I know the internals of both the DX90 and HA-2 are different which would be a factor but what I've learnt most is implementation of components is key to the end result.

So more than likely, a lot of us are happy with the sound straight out of the DX90. Is there room for improvement/ change? Always.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #2,487 of 6,302
  I am planning to replace my Momentum (1st Gen) by the PM-3. I use a DX90 everyday on-the-go

Does the DX90 + PM-3 is a good pairing? Good synergy?

Not to steer you away from PM-3 but have you tried the M2 wired? It bests the original imo.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #2,489 of 6,302
  Because of the larger pads? In wich ways it bests the original Momentum? More clarity? More details? Better soundstage?

The deeper pads create a great soundstage. The treble is not as rolled off as the original and the bass is not as sloppy. Part of the difference is the deeper pads and the other part is tuning. Senn states the drivers are the same.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #2,490 of 6,302

The deeper pads create a great soundstage. The treble is not as rolled off as the original and the bass is not as sloppy. Part of the difference is the deeper pads and the other part is tuning. Senn states the drivers are the same.

That said the neutral sound of the PM-3 may appeal to you I was only making a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back