Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 20, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #1,831 of 6,302
I just go myself a pair of white PM-3's, very impressed with the build of these amazing cans, as well as the sound signature. One question though, should I burn in the PM-3'S for any amount of time?

It cannot hurt if you use normal listening levels.

There are many who don't believe it helps. All I will say is I listened to mine as I picked them up, and the demo pair sounded radically more musical. Now I don't hear a difference.

So go for it. It won't hurt.

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #1,832 of 6,302
I'm very happy with my Oppo PM-3.
I ordered it on a french webshop, quite more expensive than the original oppo retail price, but this is what we call European union...
First the packaging is very good, the hardcase is strong and easy to open, then the headphone is very well made, and very comfortable, easy to set, and to wear, not too heavy, quite isolating even it coul'd be better about isolation, it's not too bad, because when turned off it's not too difficult to understand conversations.
The cans are big, but not too big, just the right size for my big ears.
As a compartion, the Senn Momentum over ear is far too small inside for me and very uncomfortable compared to the oppo.
the articulation on cans is useful, easier to put on the neck.
The lambskin(?, but definitely natural skin) is very soft and smooth
The overall looking is simple efficient and gives a quality impression, even on the head.
About the sound, I like it, it's not a strong metal effect treble, but a kind of sensitive sound, the bass frquencies are quite not too strong, but has a kind of deep sound even it's soft.
The middle frequency is very clear for me.
I listened it on a DX90, with flat equalizer, +6 gain,and half power volume, the results are good, I like it, I keep it.
Now, the quest will be the right player…probably a hifiman source.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,833 of 6,302
Hi everyone, I just placed an order with Oppo Digital in CA. Funny thing is I live 1.5 hours away and was seriously considering driving over for a pick up, but that's a ton of gas and 3 hours of my life, so FedEx 2-Day it is.

I ordered up the PM-3 Black Headphones with iOS cable, extra 1.2 meter mic-less cable, and the HA-2 Portable DAC Amp. Seems like a good bundle for the money. I think this may be the end of my closed-back can search. Then I plan for K10s for CIEM and eventually LCD-3s or LCD-Xs for home reference headphones.

I'm pretty excited, I never tried planar tech or had a portable DAC Amp for my iPhone 6 Plus. Astell & Kern keeps getting more and more pricy and I can't swing a $3500 DAP. However, I've become convinced I need a DAC Amp to hear anything better than a Sony MDR-1A straight out of an iPhone. I think the HA-2 fueling the PM-3 might do the trick.

And the PM-3 seems popular right now. Tyll from Inner Fidelity seems to really like them - which I consider a great sign. Strange that he never mentions the HA-2 as an obvious pairing for the PM-3. However he tends to skip around and review high-end things like the Astell & Kern DAPs. The HA-2 should prove very versatile, I'm going to use it for everything from my Dual Shock 4 to my MacBook Pro. Super excited.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,834 of 6,302
I ordered up the PM-3 Black Headphones with iOS cable, extra 1.2 meter mic-less cable, and the HA-2 Portable DAC Amp. Seems like a good bundle for the money. I think this may be the end of my closed-back can search. Then I plan for K10s for CIEM and eventually LCD-3s or LCD-Xs for home reference headphones.

It's a fantastic pairing.  Been using my combo for about 2 months now...with my iPad, my Android phone and w/ my Macbook Pro.  The HA-2 is definitely a versatile beast.  Paired w/ the PM-3, it's hard to really go wrong.  You're going to be REALLY happy.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,836 of 6,302
look at the impressions written at headphone.guru.  The review covers the PM-3's and the HA-2. Not really hype at all, just what they sound like.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,838 of 6,302
I did read that just before purchase. I'm a google ninja :) But it's nice to know how people feel about the products just the same.

I wrote an in-depth review on the PM-3 with the HA-2 here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/12713. hope that is helpful. cheers! :)

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,839 of 6,302
Heading down to Oppo Digital now. FedEx is taking too long :)

Edit: ah... Too late today, first thing tomorrow then. I'm going to try all the high end Oppo stuff too.

Anyone have the Oppo Headphone Stand? If so, how is it?

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,840 of 6,302
I picked up a pair of Oppo PM-3s last week.  Very nice headphone!  I've been testing with the Fiio X5v1 / E12DIY stack, Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1, Oppo HA-1, and LittleDot MK VI+.  They pair really well with my LittleDot MK VI+.  The extra power opens up the sound stage and makes these babies SING!!!      

Are there any suggestions for an aftermarket cable for the PM-3s?  I've looked through the thread and haven’t found any impressions on cables. Only people saying they are waiting for custom cables.   

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,842 of 6,302
  I picked up a pair of Oppo PM-3s last week.  Very nice headphone!  I've been testing with the Fiio X5v1 / E12DIY stack, Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1, Oppo HA-1, and LittleDot MK VI+.  They pair really well with my LittleDot MK VI+.  The extra power opens up the sound stage and makes these babies SING!!!      

Are there any suggestions for an aftermarket cable for the PM-3s?  I've looked through the thread and haven’t found any impressions on cables. Only people saying they are waiting for custom cables.   

There are currently two aftermarket cable companies, that I know of, making aftermarket cables specifically for the PM-3. Moon Audio (Blue Dragon series), and Double Helix cables. Just google aftermarket cables for Oppo PM-3 and they both come up. I am considering buying both a longer cable for home use, my BDP-105 is about fifteen feet from my listening chair so the three meter cable Oppo supplied is not long enough, and a shorter cable for portable use, form one of these two manufacturers, I'm just not sure yet which one. Either way I am looking at a considerable wait time for either cable as they are hand made after ordering and take several weeks before delivery.

I am sure there must be some ready made cables available that will work, except for the fact that the connector housing at the headphone end needs to be really small to fully seat into the earcup connection on the PM-3.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,843 of 6,302
Try Surf cables.  They seem to be really responsive to questions and there have been a lot of good comments about them.
Some vendors prices seem outrageous but many configurations (e.g. balanced) are time consuming to make. Moon Audio and Double Helix
have a reputation for excellent quality.  

Congrats on the Pm-3's!  

They will constantly surprise you as they have done to many of their advocates.
I was lucky enough to hear them through balanced cables and all I can say is Oppo has changed the whole game !!!!!

Cheers,

beerchug.gif

jhv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back