Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 1, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,441 of 6,302

Is the EL-8's sound worth the +$300 over the Oppo PM-3? From impressions, it doesn't seem so. Maybe the 560 at +$400 is worth it over the Oppo's, but then again, it's an open back.

It really depends on what genres you listen to.
If you listen mostly to bass heavy music then no, I don't think the EL-8 sounds that much better.
I noticed the biggest difference when listening to music that doesn't have vocals. Or limited vocals. Like Daft Punk or orchestral soundtracks. In that regard I'd say the EL-8 outshines the PM-3 by about the price difference. But that's all subjective. The main reason I went for the EL-8 is the build and comfort. The EL-8 feels so impressive in the hand and are very comfortable, albeit a bit heavy. I know many people here prefer the PM-3 to the EL-8 though, so I suggest you try both before deciding for yourself. The PM-3 is definitely warmer and less fatiguing.

May 1, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,442 of 6,302
  I prefer the EL-8 to the PM-3's actually. And yes, I've heard both and I would say the M2 is a bass head phone all the way. I found it very bloated. I returned it after 4 days.
It's not just because the PM-3 is a planar. It's just that I think it's better at everything. There's no area that I would say the M2's do better in. And I say this with quite the margin.
Tyll sure does like his bass though.
I find myself disagreeing with him more often than not now adays. I was a bit of a bass junkie myself for a while and then I praised him like a god amongst men, since we shared our opinions pretty precisely. :)

I see. Some additional bass is needed for outside use because noise decreases bass impact a lot. If I bought PM-3 though, I'd use it in quiet environments, I prefer IEMs for outside.
smile.gif

May 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #1,443 of 6,302

I see. Some additional bass is needed for outside use because noise decreases bass impact a lot. If I bought PM-3 though, I'd use it in quiet environments, I prefer IEMs for outside.
smile.gif

Yes, I use IEM's when commuting and need closed backs for when I work, I sit in an office all day and it's basically dead quiet. The M2's were way too bassy for that kind of listening in my opinion. :)

May 1, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,446 of 6,302
XD
I personally thought the EL-8 closed sounded terrible, to be quite frank. Sure, the bass seemed tighter than that of the PM-3 and the soundstage was much more expansive, but the bass seemed lean to me and it was extremely bright and harsh to me.

I can totally see people having that opinion. 
I'm the guy who'd describe the HD700 as a warm and bassy headphone, so brightness isn't really an issue for me. 
k701smile.gif

May 1, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #1,447 of 6,302
  At the $700 asking price I feel that there are better headphones to consider over the EL-8. I'd say buy a used LCD2 for about the same or spend the little extra on a new pair. If you need closed back there are several I'd take over the closed EL-8, the PM-3 among them.

+1. good advice. I personally agree with this.

May 1, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #1,448 of 6,302
  At the $700 asking price I feel that there are better headphones to consider over the EL-8. I'd say buy a used LCD2 for about the same or spend the little extra on a new pair. If you need closed back there are several I'd take over the closed EL-8, the PM-3 among them.

Feel free to share which closed backs you'd take over the EL-8. I'd love to hear it. 
smile.gif

Edit: The LCD-2's cost twice as much as the EL-8 in my country, but even so, open backs were not an option for me. I very much prefer my HD700 to the open back EL-8 and as a matter of fact the LCD-2 as well.

May 1, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,449 of 6,302
  Feel free to share which closed backs you'd take over the EL-8. I'd love to hear it. 
smile.gif

Edit: The LCD-2's cost twice as much as the EL-8 in my country, but even so, open backs were not an option for me. I very much prefer my HD700 to the open back EL-8 and as a matter of fact the LCD-2 as well.

Well my recommendations would be for the US pricing market since I don't know varying costs in other countries. But off the top of my head on a $700 USD budget you could get the Alpha Dog, Mad Dog Pro, PM-3, ZMF Vibro, TH600, D2000.... the list is quite long.

May 1, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,450 of 6,302

Well my recommendations would be for the US pricing market since I don't know varying costs in other countries. But off the top of my head on a $700 USD budget you could get the Alpha Dog, Mad Dog Pro, PM-3, ZMF Vibro, TH600, D2000.... the list is quite long.

None of those are available here besides the PM-3 and like I mentioned before I prefer the EL-8 between the two.
However, I think the D2000 and TH600 are bad in comparison to both the PM-3 and the EL-8.
Alpha Dog would be really fun to try out sometime but it's not worth buying them based on others preferences just to see if I even like them.
I obviously want to audition before buying.

May 1, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,451 of 6,302
I can totally see people having that opinion. 
I'm the guy who'd describe the HD700 as a warm and bassy headphone, so brightness isn't really an issue for me. :k701smile:

Well the HD700 is warm per se, more so than the AKG K 701, it just has a really nasty spike in the upper-mids and another in the 9-10 kHz region.

May 1, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,453 of 6,302
Feel free to share which closed backs you'd take over the EL-8. I'd love to hear it. :smile:  
Alpha Dogs deserve a strong look.

May 1, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #1,455 of 6,302
  Yes, not sure how I'd be able to get a look though.

since you already had a chance to demo the el-8 and decided to purchase them, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about other market options. there are a ton of really good and unique headphones out there & not many everyone has the opportunity to try them all. as long as you found something you like, that's really all that matters :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back