Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 22, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #541 of 6,302
I'd argue that a headphone that folds flat is actually more portable than a headphone that folds into a ball. With the V-MODA M-100, it folds into a ball and when I throw it into my backapack, it does exactly that; it creates a big ball of space in my backpack and it sinks to the bottom. It was kind of a nuisance to be honest since it would always get in the way. With headphones that fold flat like the PM-3, you can just lay it next to other stuff in the backpack without worrying about it making a large empty space above it.

I also wouldn't really consider the Momentum 2 an external USB DAC per se because it's built into the headphone itself and you can only use the DAC feature with the headphone. Also, the DAC specs are completely unlisted and I'm assuming it only works with audio up to 24/96 if it's driverless.

I agree. folding flat works better in real life in folding into a ball, but folding into a ball is pretty cool.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #542 of 6,302
I'd argue that a headphone that folds flat is actually more portable than a headphone that folds into a ball. With the V-MODA M-100, it folds into a ball and when I throw it into my backapack, it does exactly that; it creates a big ball of space in my backpack and it sinks to the bottom. It was kind of a nuisance to be honest since it would always get in the way. With headphones that fold flat like the PM-3, you can just lay it next to other stuff in the backpack without worrying about it making a large empty space above it.

I also wouldn't really consider the Momentum 2 an external USB DAC per se because it's built into the headphone itself and you can only use the DAC feature with the headphone. Also, the DAC specs are completely unlisted and I'm assuming it only works with audio up to 24/96 if it's driverless.

True, flat may be better for some. They both displace about equal volume encased so its a matter of choice (or how you pack when traveling).

Earlier, I mentioned the M2's dac is driverless and showed 16-bit/48khz in Windows 8 but could not be changed. So, about dvd quality but I was still able to play high-res flacs and it still sounded better than both wireless or 3.5mm wired.

I still say there's no more versatile headphone than the wireless M2. Jack of all trades but no master. The fact I could do so much on-the-go with only 2 devices (cell and headphone) is amazing.

If ultimate portability isn't the priority........ well, that's another discussion.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #543 of 6,302
  Just something accurate with a touch of warmth. I'll be using them mostly as a portable with the x5 DAP. Maybe some desktop usage also. 

generally, it does have typical bass quality of planar magnetics. tight linear bass with good extension. not sure how much warmth you are talking about when you say touch of warmth. I'd say less warm than the pm-1 & less dark than the lcd-x, but more warmth than the he-560. feel like a direct he-400 comparison would give you all the info you need. wish i still had my he-400s to compare the pm-3s to. i know that would have been super helpful for you.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #544 of 6,302

generally, it does have typical bass quality of planar magnetics. tight linear bass with good extension. not sure how much warmth you are talking about when you say touch of warmth. I'd say less warm than the pm-1 & less dark than the lcd-x, but more warmth than the he-560. feel like a direct he-400 comparison would give you all the info you need. wish i still had my he-400s to compare the pm-3s to. i know that would have been super helpful for you.

I was just thinking of the he-400 again.

From memory (if you can), did they have less clamp force than the PM-3?

Also, are the sound signatures similar except for the he-400's bass and soundstage (being open)?

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #545 of 6,302
  I was just thinking of the he-400 again.

From memory (if you can), did they have less clamp force than the PM-3?

Also, are the sound signatures similar except for the he-400's bass and soundstage (being open)?

clamping force was never a problem for me, but I have a small head. wear the he-400 on minimum setting and the pm-3 at 3 notches/side only. hard to say for other people, but comfort is not the old he-400's strength. I could wear them all day and adjusted to the weight, but there are definitely more comfy options out there. bearable & not too bad though esp with different earpad options (velour or focus pads). pm-3 are definitely much more comfortable than the he-400 overall due to weight differences.

sound signature is actually not similar. the following is based on audio memory so take w/ a grain of salt. he-400 has an unique coloration and more bass quantity compared to most other planars. hard for me to judge now actual amounts without a direct comparison, but going by memory I would say more bass emphasis, recessed upper mids, and treble spike. the he-400 will sound brighter and darker at the same time. unique frequency response a little bit kinda-u-shaped but not exactly. this is compared to the pm-3s or something else more in-line with neutral. compared to a lot of consumer-oriented headphones, the he-400 will still sound much cleaner due to it's tight presentation of notes. & they can be more neutral than a lot of consumer-oriented options out there. more bass reverb on the he-400 compared to other open headphones, but hard to say against a closed one like the pm-3. he-400 can get a bit bright, but really actually just dependent on the source and your overall set-up. didn't really have any treble problems for my sonic preferences when paired with a tube amp. sound stage is good for an open, but can find other open options with better sound stage in that price category like the q701 or k7xx. i greatly enjoyed the he-400 and loved it's bass quality and quantity (when I had a more bassheady sound sig preference). overall sound signature was quite enjoyable for me, but do want to note the slight coloration for people looking for neutral. 

the he-400 would be my first recommendation for entry level open for bassheads or people who just want high quality bass with enough quantity to satisfy your appetite without being overdone. great for edm/hip hop/bass heavy tracks. jazz and pop is pretty good on them too. would personally find a different set if primarily listening to classical or acoustic.

hope these impressions are helpful & remember, audio memory so not as exact.

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #546 of 6,302
Exact or not, the info was good enough for me. Tremendous thanks.

Haven't been a basshead since college and only thought of the he400 as an alternative (for me) to the pm-3. Guess I'll try sticking to the pm-3 afterall; seems no similar sounding planar at this price range (portable or not).

Fyi, your idea about the extra clicks to decrease clamp force seems to be working. Was able to do some longer sessions with the pm-3. Heard instruments and separation I didn't know existed on albums I've had for like 10 years!

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #547 of 6,302
I have a big head (not from excessive brain cells as family and friends will explain), I go 6 clicks on the PM-3s and 5 clicks on the PM-1s.  I have had the PM-1s for almost a year and the PM-3s as soon as they were released, never had any discomfort or felt any pressure, at least from the headphones.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #548 of 6,302
  I have a big head (not from excessive brain cells as family and friends will explain), I go 6 clicks on the PM-3s and 5 clicks on the PM-1s.  I have had the PM-1s for almost a year and the PM-3s as soon as they were released, never had any discomfort or felt any pressure, at least from the headphones.

but lots of discomfort from random chicks gettin too handsy now that you are reppin these sexy headphones huh? 
wink_face.gif

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #550 of 6,302
Just saw in a review that someone here said the PM-3 has a similar bass output to the AKG K7xx series? I sincerely hope not, I sold my old K702s because their bass quantity was close to non-existent (although it went deep).

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #551 of 6,302
  Just saw in a review that someone here said the PM-3 has a similar bass output to the AKG K7xx series? I sincerely hope not, I sold my old K702s because their bass quantity was close to non-existent (although it went deep).

@leng jai, the akg k7xx is not the same as the normal k702. it has like +3db bass boost over the old k702. massdrop actually released a pair of headphones called the akg k7xx (so the practice of calling akg k7-series headphones as k7xx doesn't work anymore)

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #552 of 6,302
  Interesting about the HA2. It does look nice, but pretty $$$. Would end up being a ~$1000AUD setup, ouch! I'm in no doubts that for an office environment you really don't need that much power (especially for an apparently efficient can like the PM3). Figured if i'm going to spend that much, you may as well get a desktop setup like the M&M Schiit stack? Does the HA2 need drivers? That's my only requirement, since work won't let me install anything haha. Needs to be natively supported in W7.

Pretty dam keen on the PM3 now, I must say.

FYI, any DAC that is 24/96 or under doesn't need a driver in Windows.  Anything over (24/192 and up) will need a driver.  This limits you to some older stuff, but there's still a lot of quality choices.  My Audioengine D3 requires no drivers and sounds really clean.

I'm still really torn as whether I should get the PM-3 or Momentum M2s for my unamped portable use. 

While I've read some amazing impressions about how well balanced and detailed the Oppo pair are (for something closed) a part of me feels like it would be silly to get something that is essentially a gimped version of my home rig (Beyer T1 running off a Woo Audio 2). From what I've read about the Momentums they seem to be technically inferior but have a more "fun" sound to them. As much as I love the T1's tonal balance it would be nice to have something with more low end oomph for when I'm listening to something like Tswizzle. I also prefer the aesthetics of the Momentums even though they might have slightly worse build quality. 

There's certainly more buzz around the Oppo since they're a gorgeous pair of semi portable planars. If I were looking for something as my main pair of cans I'd definitely be getting the PM-3 but for something to complement the T1s I think I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser.

Out of curiosity, why do you call the PM-3 "semi portable"?

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #553 of 6,302

Wow each person perceives reality differently. I just read a review, where it was said the pm-3's bass was better than MrSpeakers Alpha Dog. It's amusing that people perceive such variance in the bass.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #554 of 6,302
Wow each person perceives reality differently. I just read a review, where it was said the pm-3's bass was better than MrSpeakers Alpha Dog. It's amusing that people perceive such variance in the bass.

quantity is different from quality. the k7xx is not bass-light by any means. more bass than the he-560s.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #555 of 6,302
quantity is different from quality. the k7xx is not bass-light by any means. more bass than the he-560s.

Yea that is true, I would rather have quality over quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back