OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program
Dec 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #616 of 991
What a fantastic way to get the word out about your new headphones.

I'd like to sign up for the loaner program.  I agree to the terms and conditions.

PS - How much is it generally to get these shipped to the next person?

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #619 of 991
Alright, I promised my initial impressions here today, so here they are:

Build quality is FANTASTIC. The Oppo's ooze high quality and comfort. The cups are perhaps a little narrow, however they do not seem to interfere for me, although they do get warm. Ear cup rotation has some really sharp hinges that can pinch if your fingers are in the wrong place. And the included carrying case makes me really want something similar for my Hifiman cans.

Sound quality however I'm not the biggest fan. For me, powering the headphones straight from my mobile is really cold for sub-bass. Lacking punch, and no top end sparkle. Mids are not bad. Q1 amp pumped the PM-3's a bit. Warming just a tad, but giving necessary punch. Still want more warmth and top end.

Will try pairing with my Onkyo TX-NR626 at home or if I can get to hanging with one of my friends this week I'll try the schiit Modi/Magni. More to come...

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #621 of 991
I would like to get in on the loaner program. I am in Canada:)

I agree to the terms and conditions.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #623 of 991
  Strange... I swear I saw I was next in line :frowning2:

Prior to being moved from Unit #2 over to Unit #3, both "SillySheep" and "iguanajm" were on the Unit #2 list ahead of you. Unit #2 has been MIA since October, so I went ahead and moved two of the people from Unit #2 over to Unit #3, and kept both you and "morinu" on Unit #2 in the hopes that it would start moving again.

Still haven't heard anything regarding Unit #2, so I went ahead and moved both you and "morinu" over to Unit #3, which is actually showing movement. So you're still where you should be, just under Unit #3 now instead of Unit #2.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #624 of 991
  Alright, I promised my initial impressions here today, so here they are:

Build quality is FANTASTIC. The Oppo's ooze high quality and comfort. The cups are perhaps a little narrow, however they do not seem to interfere for me, although they do get warm. Ear cup rotation has some really sharp hinges that can pinch if your fingers are in the wrong place. And the included carrying case makes me really want something similar for my Hifiman cans.

Sound quality however I'm not the biggest fan. For me, powering the headphones straight from my mobile is really cold for sub-bass. Lacking punch, and no top end sparkle. Mids are not bad. Q1 amp pumped the PM-3's a bit. Warming just a tad, but giving necessary punch. Still want more warmth and top end.

Will try pairing with my Onkyo TX-NR626 at home or if I can get to hanging with one of my friends this week I'll try the schiit Modi/Magni. More to come...

I was driving them straight out of my X-Fi Titanium HD (I know what hardcore audiophiles say about having a dedicated amp, but frankly this soundcard drives most headphones very well)

I think your impressions are similar to mine. The bass quantity was fine, but there was more mid-bass emphasis than sub-bass; I found my AKG K553 to be cleaner-sounding as the result (sub-bass emphasis). The biggest issue for me was the treble; it's not just the lack of sparkle, to me it sounds like the treble is REALLY rolled-off. I couldn't hear much extension at all.

Hopefully it isn't an issue with the demo unit.

But yeah, build quality is fantastic - my wife commented on how beautiful they are when I opened the box. :)

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #628 of 991

Prior to being moved from Unit #2 over to Unit #3, both "SillySheep" and "iguanajm" were on the Unit #2 list ahead of you. Unit #2 has been MIA since October, so I went ahead and moved two of the people from Unit #2 over to Unit #3, and kept both you and "morinu" on Unit #2 in the hopes that it would start moving again.

Still haven't heard anything regarding Unit #2, so I went ahead and moved both you and "morinu" over to Unit #3, which is actually showing movement. So you're still where you should be, just under Unit #3 now instead of Unit #2.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation. I hope Unit 2 starts moving. A lot of people are looking forward to try these headphones, like me :D Now that I think of it, I actually don't mind that I got moved a little so my gf can try them too when she comes back. I spoiled her with mine and now she thinks all her earphones/headphones are crap ^^ It's actually fun comparing headphones and I'm excited to try the PM-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back