OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Feb 15, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #541 of 743

I believe the major difference for me is more lively mids and more bass oomph. .
smily_headphones1.gif

This is your mod for the PM-2?  Can you please link to the entire mod?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pm-2+mod

it's the first hit.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #542 of 743
  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pm-2+mod

it's the first hit.

Thank you
I book marked it and will be looking through it as I consider getting the Oppo PM-1/PM-2.  I bought the blue PM-3 for my daughter and only got to listen to it for the first week, but really enjoyed it.  I think I'd like open back even more... when I listen to my stereo system I like a window/door open.

Can the Oppo PM-1 be modded in the same way as the PM-2 through this mod?  Besides the differences Oppo states.... it sounds like there's some internal material/damping differences?  Maybe metal sounds different than plastic... judging by what I"ve read maybe plastic presents better... hehe but i digress again.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #543 of 743
I've finally picked a PM2 up (had the PM3 for a while) and so far I'm impressed - great 'all around' headphone.  Given it is travel friendly as well, I'm thinking it is pretty underrated round these parts...

Great depth presentation in the stage, and a tonality which seems to make everything sound good - not what you always want of course, but a great trick if done well.

Has anyone upgraded the stock cables - any recommendations on that line?

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #544 of 743
  I've finally picked a PM2 up (had the PM3 for a while) and so far I'm impressed - great 'all around' headphone.  Given it is travel friendly as well, I'm thinking it is pretty underrated round these parts...

Great depth presentation in the stage, and a tonality which seems to make everything sound good - not what you always want of course, but a great trick if done well.

Congratulations!

I "upgraded" to the TRS version of the V-Moda cable and have found it to be identical to the stock PM-3 cable in terms of sound quality and a big improvement in terms of reduced microphonics, flexibility, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Extended-Audio-Cable-Dark/dp/B00MYTR7NS

UPDATE:  I use this cable with my PM-3.   I was thinking about my PM-3 as I posted this here in the PM-2 thread.  Oops!

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #546 of 743

Congrats! If you have insomnia, PM-2 is a great cure.

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #547 of 743

Stock 3m cable is great unless you need balanced.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #548 of 743
I am new here first time poster. I just got the PM 2 today really just from reading you guys posts. I also got the Mojo 4 days ago from reading the Mojo posts. I am only 3 hours into the burn in. Can't wait for tomorrow to have a real listen. Thanks guys and gals.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #549 of 743
I am new here first time poster. I just got the PM 2 today really just from reading you guys posts. I also got the Mojo 4 days ago from reading the Mojo posts. I am only 3 hours into the burn in. Can't wait for tomorrow to have a real listen. Thanks guys and gals.

How do you found this combo?

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #550 of 743
Right now it just looking great but I haven't really listen to them together just yet. My Grado 500e sounds great with the Mojo much more then it does with Dragonfly Red witch I pick up last month in HKG. I am very hopeful and waiting till the morning to have a go. Right now the only down side I see on the new box opening is that short cable, Hmmmmmmm........... Cheap Cheap Cheap!!!

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #551 of 743
Are PM-1 pads worth purchasing? Do they make that big of a difference?

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #552 of 743
  Are PM-1 pads worth purchasing? Do they make that big of a difference?

May i ask you a question, thefitz
You own HE-560 and PM-2 both at the same time. 
I own HE-560 and I'm having a finger on a trigger to buy PM-2 in order to have different sound signature - meaning I'll be having HE-560 and PM-2 both at the same time as well. 

Are they different? 
Or I'll end up having two very similar headphones which is not my intention. 

Which is closer to HE-560 - Audeze LCD 2.2 or PM-2? 
* I had a chance to listen to Audeze LCD 2.2 (fazor) and they did sound similar to my HE-560 - so I decided that having HE-560 and LCD 2.2 both didn't make any sense. 

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #553 of 743
  May i ask you a question, thefitz
You own HE-560 and PM-2 both at the same time. 
I own HE-560 and I'm having a finger on a trigger to buy PM-2 in order to have different sound signature - meaning I'll be having HE-560 and PM-2 both at the same time as well. 

Are they different? 
Or I'll end up having two very similar headphones which is not my intention. 

Which is closer to HE-560 - Audeze LCD 2.2 or PM-2? 
* I had a chance to listen to Audeze LCD 2.2 (fazor) and they did sound similar to my HE-560 - so I decided that having HE-560 and LCD 2.2 both didn't make any sense. 

How did the LCD-2.2 and HE-560 sound similar to you? I find them very very different, in fact. I find the HE-560 to be much brighter, almost hard in the treble, with not nearly as much bass content as the LCD-2.2.

I find the PM-2 to be most similar to the LCD-2.2 in fact. I think they have an overall similar sound signature: The PM-2 has a bit less of an overwhelming bass presence, and a bit more of a present, albeit coarser, treble presence.

The main difference between the 3 sets is that the HE-560 and LCD-2.2 straight-up need amplification (the HE-560 in particular), but the PM-2 does not. On my Lyr, I often run the HE-560 between 11:00 and 1:00, and the LCD-2.2 between 10:00 and 12:00. The PM-2 can damage your ears at 10:00.

My main goal is to get a Pono cable for my PM-2 and use it exclusively with my Pono, but I can't fathom paying >50% of the price of my Pono for a ******* cable.

EDIT: My 2.2 is non-fazor. It's a little pedantic but typically when you say "2.2" you're implying non-fazor, and "2.2 with fazor" is just "2F". All there's no "2.1F", so it's a little redundant putting the ".2" when discussing Fazors.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #554 of 743

How did the LCD-2.2 and HE-560 sound similar to you? I find them very very different, in fact. I find the HE-560 to be much brighter, almost hard in the treble, with not nearly as much bass content as the LCD-2.2.

I find the PM-2 to be most similar to the LCD-2.2 in fact. I think they have an overall similar sound signature: The PM-2 has a bit less of an overwhelming bass presence, and a bit more of a present, albeit coarser, treble presence.

The main difference between the 3 sets is that the HE-560 and LCD-2.2 straight-up need amplification (the HE-560 in particular), but the PM-2 does not. On my Lyr, I often run the HE-560 between 11:00 and 1:00, and the LCD-2.2 between 10:00 and 12:00. The PM-2 can damage your ears at 10:00.

My main goal is to get a Pono cable for my PM-2 and use it exclusively with my Pono, but I can't fathom paying >50% of the price of my Pono for a ******* cable.

EDIT: My 2.2 is non-fazor. It's a little pedantic but typically when you say "2.2" you're implying non-fazor, and "2.2 with fazor" is just "2F". All there's no "2.1F", so it's a little redundant putting the ".2" when discussing Fazors.

Thank you for the answer! 
Ye, I auditioned LCD 2 Fazor of course; it's hard to get non-fazor LCD nowdays, I tried but failed to get even used. 

But if you say, that PM-2 seems to you most similar to the LCD-2.2 NON-fazor, that's good, even with less bass and more treble - that's what I'm looking for. 

So would you advise me to have both HE-560 and PM-2? 
I mean, are they different enough to make sense keeping them both?

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #555 of 743
I think they're a great counterbalance. The PM-2 isn't smooth on the treble like the LCD-2.2 but the sound signatures are similar. The only real mismatch is the power requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back