Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,262 of 3,729
According to Bigshot there is no change at all.

The audio quality does not change much when you put your hands over the grills. So there is always the possibility that you can improve the performance, or at least, tune it to a more personal equalization by modifying the dampening material used inside of the PM-1.

Played a 40Hz tone at 70dB through the phones.  Fully covering the grill with a hand = 2dB bump (not much).  Covering grill with 1 sheet of crafting felt: 0dB bump (no change). 

You can hear the difference if you are listening for it on "open" tracks (imaging does collapse a little) but it is very minimal. And per Bigshot and my little test above my bet is you would need a good strong resonator like a wood cup to get there.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,263 of 3,729
My problem with the HD800 to PM-1 comparison is that they're clearly targeting very different sound/tonalities. I seriously can't take an opinion choosing one over the other seriously, since they're nowhere near the same sonically. Subjective, yes, but it's warm and musical vs bright and analytical, not taking all the dac/amp offsetting into account.

A more valid comparison would be the HD800 to the T1, and PM-1 to an LCD-2. You can't seriously compare something like a Grado to an HD650.

I'll have to think about this more, but preliminarily I strongly disagree: a headphone is a headphone is a headphone. I think it makes a lot of sense to compare everything to everything else. That's how we discover achievements and limitations.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,264 of 3,729
I am getting a tiny bit confused and here is why:

- some say its dark
- some say its not dark
- graphs show it darker than the hd650 with the same peek in treble at about 9k but the oppo doing a cliff dive after that and the hd650 not losing all of the treble after that. 

I know you need to hear it and not go by graphs always but that would be a huge error in the graph and too much to account for. I personally find the hd650 as not too dark for my tastes but it has been determined as a reference for what is and isnt a dark headphone. 

Its hard at this point at to believe those who are saying its not dark and its easier to believe those that say it is. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,266 of 3,729
you could be right. I would love to hear them though. They seem up my alley. I wonder how they compared to an hd650 and crack/speedball

that is part of the reason for my confusion is that graph says different. 

I edited the "then the graphs i saw are way off" that wasnt a fair statement.

Its just human nature to believe what the see over what they hear/read

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,268 of 3,729
I think that you should stop wasting your time with graphs :wink:

To my ears they are less dark than the LCD-2 and I had 4 different pairs of LCD-2 in the past.

I will repeat what I said yesterday and again to my ears, they sound like a mix of the Stax 007 and the LCD-X/LCD-3.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,269 of 3,729
I think that you should stop wasting your time with graphs
wink.gif

Tough.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #1,270 of 3,729
I think that you should stop wasting your time with graphs
wink.gif

To my ears they are less dark than the LCD-2 and I had 4 different pairs of LCD-2 in the past.

I will repeat what I said yesterday and again to my ears, they sound like a mix of the Stax 007 and the LCD-X/LCD-3.

ummm no

they are extremely useful and I'd rather not go there. Also age plays a difference in how people hear treble as well so that can be a factor in the differences of opinions. I am not debating just expressing the obvious conflict in impressions.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,271 of 3,729
Each time I tried the LCD-X/LCD-3 they were too dark for my tastes. I also find that the LCD-X/LCD-3 did not bring out as much detail as the HE-6. It looks like that the PM-1 could be a possibility for me to like.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,272 of 3,729
ummm no

they are extremely useful and I'd rather not go there. Also age plays a difference in how people hear treble as well so that can be a factor in the differences of opinions. I am not debating just expressing the obvious conflict in impressions.

I can agree with this, as well. About the only explanation I can come up with to reconcile the graphs with what I hear is my suspicion that I might be confusing the PM-1's superior treble detail for superior treble energy.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,275 of 3,729
Quote:
  I am getting a tiny bit confused and here is why:

- some say its dark
- some say its not dark
- graphs show it darker than the hd650 with the same peek in treble at about 9k but the oppo doing a cliff dive after that and the hd650 not losing all of the treble after that. 

I know you need to hear it and not go by graphs always but that would be a huge error in the graph and too much to account for. I personally find the hd650 as not too dark for my tastes but it has been determined as a reference for what is and isnt a dark headphone. 

Its hard at this point at to believe those who are saying its not dark and its easier to believe those that say it is. 

I agree. Too many people, including enthusiasts and professionals, reported the dark sound signature. At this point, I think people claiming "perfect frequency response" are the ones with that sound color preference. Actually, as far as I know, no one with a decent amount of headphone experience claimed perfect frequency response. It's always vague statements like "between A and B" where A and B are very different headphones. Sooooo which shade of gray are we talking about? To me, "not darker than LCD-2" is like "not darker than black"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back