Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,217 of 3,729
thanks for the comparison maxx134. gotta feeling that the pm-1's highs will be too rolled-off for me based on the fr measurements and impressions here. still wanna give it a listen tho.

I must apologies for any mistaken interpretations.

I know their is some consensus that the PM1 may have rolled off trebles..
This is totally incorrect.
The PM1 do not have rolled off trebles.
They are just so very neutral to the mids level.

My own personal preference is either a brighter signature,
Or more, slightly boosted trebles than what oppo has..
Just my own preference and I would have been happy.

So I am now forced to use a foobar EQ adddon.
And now I can even elevate the signature to even hd800 brightness.
Without harshness (!)

It retains great trebles so I dunno why Oppo didn't want to show this off in final production..
Duh.

BUT:
It cannot give me what hd800 gives in terms of absolute palpable instrument separation, and ofcourse soundstage.
Anyway this should not be surprising considering none can beat the hd800 in those aspects yet.
So Otherwise PM1 is a contender.
I would not rate it higher than any top tier can, just another flavor, that of honey.

Damn straight, I just cancelled the preorder for the HE-560!
From my reading in the 560,
I feel this is a mistake if you value soundstage and speed.
:p

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,218 of 3,729
I just returned my pair.   I have HD800's and knew they would best the Oppo's in comfort and soundstage.  I was just looking for a fun '2nd headphone'.

The ear cups on these are too small for me - they sit on top of my ears and push them down.   If comfort on the HD800's is a 10, these are a 7, at best.  Sure, they're more comfortable than an Audeze, but that is faint praise.  The build quality is exceptional, no doubt.  

Sound wise the HD800's are in another league.   I just don't see these as being worth $1100.  

Opinions vary.   This is mine and I have no interest in debating it.   Just posting it here so others can see not everyone thinks these are the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,219 of 3,729
All that being said, the oppo gave me not the longest, but the most excited honeymoon phase of any can.
A lot of extravagance in materials and packaging and utter quality feel..

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,220 of 3,729
  I just returned my pair.   I have HD800's and knew they would best the Oppo's in comfort and soundstage.  I was just looking for a fun '2nd headphone'.

The ear cups on these are too small for me - they sit on top of my ears and push them down.   If comfort on the HD800's is a 10, these are a 7, at best.  Sure, they're more comfortable than an Audeze, but that is faint praise.  The build quality is exceptional, no doubt.  

Sound wise the HD800's are in another league.   I just don't see these as being worth $1100.  

Opinions vary.   This is mine and I have no interest in debating it.   Just posting it here so others can see not everyone thinks these are the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

You've certainly got the right amps for the HD800.  The Violectric V200 has been on my horizon for a long time..

smile.gif

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,221 of 3,729
I see Mike did not care for them. The HD800 has the best imaging and air of any headphone I own but the PM-1 can have a place  in someone collection  if they are seeking an headphone that  is transparent and is portable as well.  Different than the hd800

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,225 of 3,729
  I see Mike did not care for them. The HD800 has the best imaging and air of any headphone I own but the PM-1 can have a place  in someone collection  if they are seeking an headphone that  is transparent and is portable as well.  Different than the hd800

Oh, they're very good headphones.   I was surprised by how much I missed the comfort, imaging, and air of the HD800.  And I didn't find the virtues of the PM-1 made up for those losses.   Obviously that's a very subjective thing. 

If you were going from an Audeze these would seem super-comfortable I guess.   From an HD800, not so much.  

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,226 of 3,729

Oh, they're very good headphones.   I was surprised by how much I missed the comfort, imaging, and air of the HD800.  And I didn't find the virtues of the PM-1 made up for those losses.   Obviously that's a very subjective thing. 

If you were going from an Audeze these would seem super-comfortable I guess.   From an HD800, not so much.  

I agree the HD800 is a better headphone and my long term reference. i think you may want a closed headphone more so Mike. There are some very good ones out there. I wish the PM-1 was closed.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,227 of 3,729
  I agree the HD800 is a better headphone and my long term reference. i think you may want a closed headphone more so Mike. There are some very good ones out there. I wish the PM-1 was closed.

Does the PM1 sound change much if you close your hands around the grills? If not, these could be turned into great closed cans with some competent modding.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,229 of 3,729
Does the PM1 sound change much if you close your hands around the grills? If not, these could be turned into great closed cans with some competent modding.

According to Bigshot there is no change at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back