Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #61 of 3,729
God damn it, when will they lift the NDA... That's so stupid -_-
I wonder what's the reason for it since we're talking retail units... Speculations never bring any good, let them report what they hear Oppo :]

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #62 of 3,729
Well here is another manufacturer that had to go with proprietary connectors on the cable cup entry input.  2.5 mm mono plugs with a recessed fit.  Anyone wanting to DIY a cable to fit has got another headache.  No modding allowed?  Oppo must be afraid that no other cables will work with their little gem.....stock all the way.  I don't think they will make the connectors available, such as Alpha Dog, Audeze, Hifiman, Sennheiser......dare to be different yet again!  Hopefully some cable manufacturer with figure it out.  But it is enough to steer me clear of the PM-1/2 at least initially.

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #63 of 3,729
The NDA was lifted a little while ago.  The final release headphones are improved (different) than the last round of beta units that some of us have experience with.  I won't comment further until I've had at least a few days under my belt with them (since I'm not a known serious or professional reviewer, I can go off half cocked after just a few days...)

Caveats when I do comment -
1) I try to be objective, but I tend to be a fanboy.
2) Oppo gave me a pair of beautiful high end headphones.  I'm probably predisposed to not be able to separate that out of my feelings toward the headphones...

I'll reiterate the above when I post up my comments.  I will note that Oppo worked very hard to get these right, and had a great group of beta testers that took the project seriously.  It was a lot of fun.  Oppo was very engaged throughout the beta process.  A rewarding experience for sure.  I'll post up comments next week sometime.

Oh, I can comment on build quality - they are beautiful, and the packaging is truly high end.

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #64 of 3,729
  Well here is another manufacturer that had to go with proprietary connectors on the cable cup entry input.  2.5 mm mono plugs with a recessed fit.  Anyone wanting to DIY a cable to fit has got another headache.  No modding allowed?  Oppo must be afraid that no other cables will work with their little gem.....stock all the way.  I don't think they will make the connectors available, such as Alpha Dog, Audeze, Hifiman, Sennheiser......dare to be different yet again!  Hopefully some cable manufacturer with figure it out.  But it is enough to steer me clear of the PM-1/2 at least initially.

What's proprietary about 2.5mm Mono connectors?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #66 of 3,729
I was one of the beta testers, and I just received my retail version. I haven''t had a chance to run these through their paces, and I don't want to comment until I get a chance to do that. But I will say this... The folks at Oppo were very serious about making these the best headphones on the market. We beta testers gave our feedback and had the ability to correspond directly with the designer in charge of creating these headphones. I was very very impressed with the two beta versions I was sent to evaluate, and can't wait to get a chance to check out the final version.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #67 of 3,729
So you guys who got the headphones, do you happen to have any other planarmagnetics on hand to compare?
It'd be nice to give us at least a very brief initial impression in a couple of hours :]
Thanks.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #70 of 3,729
I don't have any other headphones even close to being in this league. I do have a first class speaker setup that I have carefully calibrated to a flat response. I've got a very good ear for accurate response curves. That's what I'll be commenting on.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #71 of 3,729
The build, design, and presentation look absolutely top notch. I love the perfed leather pads and how simply they interchange with the velours. Now, I just have to find an Oppo dealer in the area a pair to demo.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #72 of 3,729
I don't have any other headphones even close to being in this league. I do have a first class speaker setup that I have carefully calibrated to a flat response. I've got a very good ear for accurate response curves. That's what I'll be commenting on.

Fair enough.
I am particularly interested in air [treble/midrange] quantity, PRaT and soundstage width/depth but I am staying tuned for anything 
popcorn.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #73 of 3,729
lol@waiting six months to see what Oppo comes up with, and then when people get the headphone nobody wants to say anything about it....
rolleyes.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #75 of 3,729
  lol@waiting six months to see what Oppo comes up with, and then when people get the headphone nobody wants to say anything about it....
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, that's pretty ironic 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back