Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #571 of 3,729
  I would like to hear comments about whether anyone is hearing any background amp noise due to the efficiency of the PM-1. If the efficiency is really 102 dB, I have to think that noise would be audible on a lot of amps, especially older designs and tube amps. I notice that a lot of the newer amps have one or more gain settings, due to the fact that phone sensitivity can range from 83.5 to over 100 dB. I understand that Oppo wanted to tap into the market for the majority of people that will use a portable device, but I think the high efficiency will cause noise problems for a lot of Head-Fiers using separate amps. Since there is a 30-day return policy, at least you have the option to send them back if they don't work on your amp. An earlier asked poster asked this question, but I haven't seen any responses yet.

I'm using the HA1, but no audible hiss to my ears.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #574 of 3,729
  Alright, I bailed on the thread earlier.  It seems to be at least a little more polite, so I'll weigh back in.  Chris Marten's brief impressions were linked above, and I'll link them again HERE.

Oh, build quality is excellent, the box and stuff is beautiful and helps with the whole cachet of "Statement Product."

OK, since this thread has teetered on the brink a few times, please, enjoy my comments, take them for what they are worth and leave it at that.  If you've heard them and vehemently disagree, blame it on different tastes, or the information in in my disclaimer.  If you haven't heard them….

Thank you amefford:  I've recently returned to headphone listening and looking for a new set and your review has persuaded me to put the PM-1s on my short list!

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #575 of 3,729
Apr 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #576 of 3,729
  I would like to hear comments about whether anyone is hearing any background amp noise due to the efficiency of the PM-1. If the efficiency is really 102 dB, I have to think that noise would be audible on a lot of amps, especially older designs and tube amps. I notice that a lot of the newer amps have one or more gain settings, due to the fact that phone sensitivity can range from 83.5 to over 100 dB. I understand that Oppo wanted to tap into the market for the majority of people that will use a portable device, but I think the high efficiency will cause noise problems for a lot of Head-Fiers using separate amps. Since there is a 30-day return policy, at least you have the option to send them back if they don't work on your amp. An earlier asked poster asked this question, but I haven't seen any responses yet.

Frank I,
You are using them with your WA5. Do you have any noise problems?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #577 of 3,729

I was not aware of the linked site for measurements. Pretty consistent with what I feel I hear, given my admitted lack of skill in pegging frequencies by ear. Treble roll off seems pretty consistent with other headphones. I was a little surprised by the slowish decay rates, as I've always read "faster is better." Still, they don't sound thick or slow to me. I'm really curious to read what others with a stable of the likely suspect planars have to say in comparisons.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #578 of 3,729
Saw the PM-1 measurements and the results look very promising, I am not concerned about the sharp roll off at the end of the band because it's beyond the human listening ability anyway and you want a sharp roll off because even though we can't hear beyond a certain point, the higher harmonics will cause issues in the listening band. It's a tough compromise but it sounds Oppo has done it right. Now if I could only find 1099$ somewhere, I would order the PM-1.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #579 of 3,729
Thanks!
That quick treble roll-off does explain the smoothness and lack of air.
I wonder if the resonance occurs because of their inadequate (grill) openness, because they do isolate a bit.
Other than that, the FR seems great. Unfortunately the lack of treble (subjectively) puts me off ;/

My opinion is coming from someone who loves the Audio Technica AD series line. I started with the Ad700 and from then on I was in love with the brighter than neutral sound of the Ad900 and eventually ended up in love with the very forward and aggressive mids/highs of the Ad2000. I am someone who loves the Grado SR80i sound for the big treble and mids also. 

With that said I was really disappointed with the PM-1 in beta as far as the sound was concerned. Not that it was bad, it wasn't even close to being bad, but the treble was very laid-back. The retail version, even with velour pads, has about the perfect balance of mids/highs. This is the first headphone where I've been not only satisfied with the quantity/quality of bass, but equally as so with the mids and highs. I hate to praise the heck out of these, just kidding, but these sound excellent to my ears. Damn near perfect. If I choose to let these go at some point it won't be because I don't love the sound, fit or build quality.

Edit: And anyone who sees me post on other forums knows full well how much of an Ad900/Ad2000 fanboy I am. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #580 of 3,729
  I would like to hear comments about whether anyone is hearing any background amp noise due to the efficiency of the PM-1. If the efficiency is really 102 dB, I have to think that noise would be audible on a lot of amps, especially older designs and tube amps. I notice that a lot of the newer amps have one or more gain settings, due to the fact that phone sensitivity can range from 83.5 to over 100 dB.

[snip]

I respect your concern, as I've been through the hassle of trying to attenuate excessive gain to eliminate hiss (with trying to use the TBI Audio MG3 speaker amp as a headphone amp - and that was with the LCD-2), but I've heard no noise due to excessive gain relative to the PM-1's sensitivity on any headphone amp.  

In my case, this includes the Meier Audio Stepdance, the iBasso PB2 Pelican (with various combinations of op-amps), the Shiit Vali, the CEntrance DACmini CX, and the Beresford MkII (a wonderful match for PM-1).  We're not supposed to comment on the HA-1 itself, but as a comment for the PM-1, I agree with keanex and aamefford - I'm not hearing any hiss with the PM-1, there, either, despite its having gobs of power.)

Mike

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #581 of 3,729
My opinion is coming from someone who loves the Audio Technica AD series line. I started with the Ad700 and from then on I was in love with the brighter than neutral sound of the Ad900 and eventually ended up in love with the very forward and aggressive mids/highs of the Ad2000. I am someone who loves the Grado SR80i sound for the big treble and mids also. 

With that said I was really disappointed with the PM-1 in beta as far as the sound was concerned. Not that it was bad, it wasn't even close to being bad, but the treble was very laid-back. The retail version, even with velour pads, has about the perfect balance of mids/highs. This is the first headphone where I've been not only satisfied with the quantity/quality of bass, but equally as so with the mids and highs. I hate to praise the heck out of these, just kidding, but these sound excellent to my ears. Damn near perfect. If I choose to let these go at some point it won't be because I don't love the sound, fit or build quality.

Fair enough.
I still suspect a possible lack of air.
For me it's not about being bright per se, I too like brighter tonalities.
But there are open headphones that extend just fine up to 12 kHz and headphones that go up to 15khz.
People might argue that we don't hear that high (though I am pretty sure my hearing goes up to 16khz+ but I am in my 20s)
The air presence if you will, occurs between 13 - 15khz (or so I believe) so if a headphone rolls off right after 12khz, the air is not there at large.
I have no problems believing all the good stuff I've read about the PM1 but from everything I've read so far, air is not its strong suit.
I've made my choice based on impressions from testers, samplers and reviewers whose impressions I've read.

Said all that I am happy you like what you hear amigo :beerchug:

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #583 of 3,729
If you want an airy headphone I couldn't think of one more so than the Ad900. I've heard the Ad1000 is even more so but I haven't heard them.

I said that many times but I chose the HE-560 :)

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #584 of 3,729
I said that many times but I chose the HE-560
smily_headphones1.gif

But you haven't even heard it yet 
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #585 of 3,729
But you haven't even heard it yet :D

Well I guess I'll have to trust your ears! :p
I did own the HE-6 so I should know what to expect :wink:
The 560 being the very slightly warmer, which is what I want.
But you're right, I can't wait to hear it already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back