Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 30, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #1,816 of 2,563
  a phone like the PM1 can perhaps be listened to at much louder volume before discomfort.

That is totally true. You can play headphones and speakers with a flat response considerably louder than those with spikes above 1kHz. In fact, sometimes it's hard to know how loud is until the neighbors come over and pound on your door.

May 1, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #1,817 of 2,563
Agree. Not sure how good these are but the PM 2 are expected June 2014 with their  headphone amp preceding them due in April, which I am really looking forward to with their knowledge of building seriously great reference disc players. The PM2 Planars are expected to be priced at $600 and coin. So we may have a Planar for all!

May 1, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #1,818 of 2,563
Agree. Not sure how good these are but the PM 2 are expected June 2014 with their  headphone amp preceding them due in April, which I am really looking forward to with their knowledge of building seriously great reference disc players. The PM2 Planars are expected to be priced at $600 and coin. So we may have a Planar for all!

Yeah, they have just over an hour to release the HA-1 in April. :blink:

May 1, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,819 of 2,563
My Magnepan 1.6 with a 1200 wpc amp I get so caught up in the music coming from these I never can tell how loud they are playing since they can play very VERY loud as a planar that seemingly can take as much clean signals you throw at it. Even with my BAT tube amp I play it loud and the neighbor across the street came by one evening and asked what album I was spinning as he liked what he heard inside with all of our windows closed. So it must be loud. I just purchased a hand held decibel reader. Forgot the batteries so Im going back out tomorrow to find out just how loud.

May 1, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,820 of 2,563
My Magnepan 1.6 with a 1200 wpc amp I get so caught up in the music coming from these I never can tell how loud they are playing since they can play very VERY loud as a planar that seemingly can take as much clean signals you throw at it. Even with my BAT tube amp I play it loud and the neighbor across the street came by one evening and asked what album I was spinning as he liked what he heard inside with all of our windows closed. So it must be loud. I just purchased a hand held decibel reader. Forgot the batteries so Im going back out tomorrow to find out just how loud.
Are you trying to tell me your oppo was blasting loud enough to be herd by a neighbor across street with your windows closed?!
And you pushed a 1200wpc amp to it?!
Haha good one :p

May 1, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,821 of 2,563
That means the choice is this PM2 or the Alpha Dog. There will be comparison inevitably and rightly so is my opinion

May 1, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,822 of 2,563
That means the choice is this PM2 or the Alpha Dog. There will be comparison inevitably and rightly so is my opinion

+1

To me, the AD's have no competition near their price range.  The PM-2, even though it's not closed, will be a legitimate competitor

May 1, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,823 of 2,563
Are you trying to tell me your oppo was blasting loud enough to be herd by a neighbor across street with your windows closed?!
And you pushed a 1200wpc amp to it?!
Haha good one :p

I think he was referring to his Magnepans, which are planar magnetic speakers.

May 1, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,826 of 2,563
  a magnepan 1.6 with a 100W class A amp..pure bliss at a rock bottom price point. Miss my Plinius and 1.6 combo. sigh

I still remember the day my first pair of Maggies showed up...ahhhh, the memories...

There seem to be quite a few Maggie folks on head-fi...always love seeing that. 

May 1, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #1,827 of 2,563
How did we get on magnepan 1.6?   Back to headphones.  
tongue_smile.gif

May 1, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #1,829 of 2,563
That makes me want to hear my cousins maggie 1.6qr with his mc2205 again... it's been so long and theyre so nice :3

May 2, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #1,830 of 2,563
  Some good images of the HA-1, and PM-1 on this article

AXPONA 2014: AIX Records drives Oppo’s new toys, sparks applause

This picture from the article is showing an early prototype of the PM-1:

Here is a comparison photo I took during Beta testing:

The final version of the grill can be seen on the left. The original grill was prone to paint chipping.  

This was just one of several things that were improved across multiple prototypes while the market waited patiently for the PM-1's release.

Here's another:  The earlier prototypes applied more pressure at the bottom of the ear pads than at the top, pinching the wearer's jaw. OPPO solved this by cutting a scallop into the frame - to allow the bottom of the frame to move closer to the wearer's jaw before getting impeded by the cable connection:

The headband padding evolved for the better with each new prototype, too.

And then there were all of the tweaks that improved the sound...

I'm glad they shipped no sooner than they did.  And ditto for the forthcoming HA-1.  I've seen enough of OPPO to know with certainty, the longer we wait, the better the product.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back