Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #167 of 2,563
Actually, Oppo has a universal SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray/etc. player for $500. 

One product, next to their other, very expensive products. This dac/amp looks like a lot more was put into it than that dvd player.... I don't expect it be in the $500.

But we'll see...

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #168 of 2,563
Very interested for the right price
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #170 of 2,563
What's the attraction with planar magnetics over dynamic drivers? Serious question. Seems the bass is lacking from what I have read for comparable pricing.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #171 of 2,563
What's the attraction with planar magnetics over dynamic drivers? Serious question. Seems the bass is lacking from what I have read for comparable pricing.

One thing I have liked about all planar's I have heard, is the upper mids are always amazing. I don't know why, but thats always the highlights of planars for me..

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #172 of 2,563

Ink-black background, "planar bass" aka a lot of grunt and linear extension in the bass region with minimal bloat, excellent instrument/vocal separation and 3D imaging, and unique midrange timbre. All very overgeneralized points of course, but you get my drift.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #173 of 2,563
  Ink-black background, "planar bass" aka a lot of grunt and linear extension in the bass region with minimal bloat, excellent instrument/vocal separation and 3D imaging, and unique midrange timbre. All very overgeneralized points of course, but you get my drift.

In simpler terms, they sound ******* amazing (IMO of course :3)

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #174 of 2,563
In simpler terms, they sound ******* amazing (IMO of course :3)

Here's the thing - I had the Mad Dogs and was seriously underwhelmed by the bass, hence my question. Wasn't really impressed by them in any way. Maybe I just prefer the fun sounding phones as they say.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #176 of 2,563
Here's the thing - I had the Mad Dogs and was seriously underwhelmed by the bass, hence my question. Wasn't really impressed by them in any way. Maybe I just prefer the fun sounding phones as they say.

T50RP driver's architecture is quite different from Audeze's or Hifiman's; that's why I stressed that those points I made were overgeneralizations.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #177 of 2,563

Looking at your assortment of headphones in your signature I can see why you were underwhelmed by their bass quantity.

Agreed...
Planars are great for their bass QUALITY not exactly for their bass QUANTITY (at least, that's the impression I've been getting so far through everything I've read / experienced). Most of your headphones are aimed toward bass QUANTITY rather than QUALITY 
basshead.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #178 of 2,563
Agreed...
Planars are great for their bass QUALITY not exactly for their bass QUANTITY (at least, that's the impression I've been getting so far through everything I've read / experienced). Most of your headphones are aimed toward bass QUANTITY rather than QUALITY :basshead:

True, though you can boost sub bass to no seeming end on planars, and they respond exceedingly well.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #179 of 2,563
The current line of planars suck with treble separation that is fact if you look at all the measurements for the Hifiman/AB/Audeze and various Fostex T50RP units.

Its either too diffused and not coherent (AB), too laid back with the bass overpowering it (Audeze) or uncalledforly bright at times (Hifiman).

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #180 of 2,563
  Release date is by end of the year. Will work very well off an I Phone,and is a good match for the headphone amp of the BDP105 dvd player (which I own), unlike Audeze or other orthos. More information to come over the next month or so, before it's released. 

This is all from customer service at OPPO. 

But, it's also fun to speculate. 
wink.gif

I was hoping this to be true.
The Oppo 105 headphone amp is a pretty good one for the cans that it will drive.
So think about it...a world class DVD/CD player with USB input, running through a well regarded DAC, to a very good headphone amp, with a set of (hopefully) great sounding Planar Magnetic's? 
$1200.00(105) +  $300-$500?(PM-1's) = One heckofa listening setup!
beerchug.gif

Sign me up!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back