OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jan 22, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2,868 of 4,883
Has anyone use the Ha-2 on the El-8C? My Fiio E17 is not cutting it.

I wouldn't know about the El 8C, but I had the E17, and I have to say it's well worth the upgrade, I have two circumaural headsets, both open and closed, and they perform exceptionally paired with the HA-2

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #2,869 of 4,883
  WOW... Just plugged in my old iPod Classic and turns out unlike my previous Fiio E17, the USB out on the HA-2 does work, this means I can still use my old iPod, I was planning to buy an iPod touch for playback, but that would reduce my storage from 160 to 32GB. But still I have a couple of concerns given its a legacy device:

1. Does the iPod play files at any bit rate 16/24/32? and what about 96/192/384 etc?
2. Just to make sure, but there is no way an iPod will play FLAC files right?
3. If i were to convert my files from FLAC to ALAC, what is the best software to do so? And if I do, is there any apparent loss in fidelity from the format change?
4. Can I still find L-shaped USB to 30-pin connector?

Thats all I can think of when it comes to the disadvantages of not having an app store, I also have a slight hearing loss on my right ear, I like to tune it a bit to the right channel, impossible to do with the iPod, it also limits me back to managing everything through iTunes, though I don't find that much of a problem.

If you guys can see any other disadvantage, let me know. I read somewhere that the mechanical movement on a hard disk also affects the sound quality of the setup, would also appreciate someone to enlighten me on why this is bull. haha

1. The iPod Classic is limited to a maximum of 16-bit/48kHz files.

2. An iPod Classic can play .flac files only if you load and use Rockbox as an alternative to the stock Apple firmware/OS.

3. I use either XLD, or xACT to convert ALAC to FLAC and vice versa, with no apparent loss of fidelity. Both are Mac programs, not sure whats best for Windows, maybe the PonoMusic World skinned version of JRiver.

4. I bet you can still find that on eBay, lousy generic quality is likely however.

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #2,870 of 4,883
Price is one
smily_headphones1.gif

Sound is more detailed, more forward and full. Oppo pretty flat.

I've had both at the same time. I had a htc one m8 at the time, comparing oppo to m8, very minor improvements. Comparing mojo to m8, really big difference.

I had my friends try it out who are not into audio gear. They couldn't really tell the difference with ha 2. But was totally surprised by the mojo and now believe that they can see why people are into dac/amp.

Try and listen to it, then you will understand the hype with the mojo. Also skim through the thread and see if there are comparisons made there.

This is with ie 800 and hd 800.

agree.
the oppo ha2 is pretty flat.
i tried the sony pha3, which adds some warmth, and digital eq to it.
it somewhat put some masked in to my music.
not so with the oppo.

:)

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #2,871 of 4,883
Any you guys eyeballing the Mojo? I've had the ha-2 for a month now. Really enjoying it but am finding myself on the Mojo thread a lot. I know it's a disease but was wondering how many have made or wanting to making the leap.

apples vs. oranges.
i think both are good.
i really like the oppo right now, and im aiming for the mojo in the future. :)
i wanted to own both.

if you can, try both.
let your ears be the judge. 
they have different signatures, i believe.

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #2,872 of 4,883
apples vs. oranges.
i think both are good.
i really like the oppo right now, and im aiming for the mojo in the future. :)
i wanted to own both.

if you can, try both.
let your ears be the judge. 
they have different signatures, i believe.

Yeap agree to your ears being the judge.

Just wondering, have you heard the mojo?

If we are comparing ha 2 to mojo, relatively I find the ha 2 to be more bright and the mojo for me, to be more natural and organic in tone (guess would be warmer relatively speaking compared to ha 2).

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #2,874 of 4,883
Am I experiencing deja vu?

Or is this the Mojo Merry-Go-Round?
tongue.gif

From just 8 days ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread/2775#post_12254735

I wonder if the Mojo thread talks about us this much. 
smile.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #2,875 of 4,883
Yeap agree to your ears being the judge.

Just wondering, have you heard the mojo?

If we are comparing ha 2 to mojo, relatively I find the ha 2 to be more bright and the mojo for me, to be more natural and organic in tone (guess would be warmer relatively speaking compared to ha 2).

well i think its worth it to own both. :)

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #2,876 of 4,883
Jan 27, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #2,880 of 4,883
using this amp with the bass boost on with the Beyer T90's is a blast. Love this little amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back